Pharo Sources Google Hit Ratio

12

Pharo Sources Google Hit Ratio

Camillo Bruni
I just figured you cannot use google to program in pharo!!
At least my common approach is to use google to search for some code snippets in order to fill my overloaded brain.

How about setting up a website, Browse Pharo, which has a simple UI for browsing the majority of the Pharo sources. Unlike squeaksource, it should be properly indexed by google, e.g. feature NICE and DESCRIPTIVE URLs. I do not know the exact circumstances of squeaksource's amazing low google index, but I think we can change this.

m(^_-)m
camillo

Re: Pharo Sources Google Hit Ratio

ccrraaiigg

> I do not know the exact circumstances of squeaksource's amazing low
> google index, but I think we can change this.

     Set up some Seaside servers for Google to crawl?

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

Re: Pharo Sources Google Hit Ratio

Geert Claes
Administrator
Camillo Bruni wrote
I just figured you cannot use google to program in pharo!!
At least my common approach is to use google to search for some code snippets in order to fill my overloaded brain.

How about setting up a website, Browse Pharo, which has a simple UI for browsing the majority of the Pharo sources. Unlike squeaksource, it should be properly indexed by google, e.g. feature NICE and DESCRIPTIVE URLs. I do not know the exact circumstances of squeaksource's amazing low google index, but I think we can change this.
Maybe something like what Laurent made?

http://magaloma.seasidehosting.st

On 2011-02-22, at 09:21, Geert Claes wrote:

> Camillo Bruni wrote:
>>
>> I just figured you cannot use google to program in pharo!!
>> At least my common approach is to use google to search for some code
>> snippets in order to fill my overloaded brain.
>>
>> How about setting up a website, Browse Pharo, which has a simple UI for
>> browsing the majority of the Pharo sources. Unlike squeaksource, it should
>> be properly indexed by google, e.g. feature NICE and DESCRIPTIVE URLs. I
>> do not know the exact circumstances of squeaksource's amazing low google
>> index, but I think we can change this.
>>

> Maybe something like what Laurent made?
>
> http://magaloma.seasidehosting.st

yep this is very nice already.
The only thing missing are the source code views.

Are the sources/image available somwhere? That would be very nice...

thanks

m(^_-)m
camillo

Re: Pharo Sources Google Hit Ratio

laurent laffont

On 2011-02-22, at 09:21, Geert Claes wrote:

> Camillo Bruni wrote:
>>
>> I just figured you cannot use google to program in pharo!!
>> At least my common approach is to use google to search for some code
>> snippets in order to fill my overloaded brain.
>>
>> How about setting up a website, Browse Pharo, which has a simple UI for
>> browsing the majority of the Pharo sources. Unlike squeaksource, it should
>> be properly indexed by google, e.g. feature NICE and DESCRIPTIVE URLs. I
>> do not know the exact circumstances of squeaksource's amazing low google
>> index, but I think we can change this.
>>

> Maybe something like what Laurent made?
>
> http://magaloma.seasidehosting.st

yep this is very nice already.
The only thing missing are the source code views.

Are the sources/image available somwhere? That would be very nice...

Source here, global read/write but newbie code (I did this to learn): http://www.squeaksource.com/SimpleWebDoc.html

I can send you the image if you want.

Laurent.

On 2011-02-22, at 10:45, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]>wrote:

>> should
>>>>

>>> Maybe something like what Laurent made?
>>>
>>> http://magaloma.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> yep this is very nice already.
>> The only thing missing are the source code views.
>>
>> Are the sources/image available somwhere? That would be very nice...
>>

> Source here, global read/write but newbie code (I did this to learn):
> http://www.squeaksource.com/SimpleWebDoc.html
>
> I can send you the image if you want.

Hey, perfect, I will try to extend it by the end of the week.

camillo

> Laurent.
>

>> thanks
>>
>> m(^_-)m
>> camillo

Re: Pharo Sources Google Hit Ratio

Janko Mivšek
On 22. 02. 2011 09:11, Craig Latta wrote:

>> I do not know the exact circumstances of squeaksource's amazing low
>> google index, but I think we can change this.
>
>      Set up some Seaside servers for Google to crawl?

New SqueakSource currently in development by Iliad guys will have nice
REST-full Urls for the Smalltalk code. Google searchable therefore!

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Pharo Sources Google Hit Ratio

Tobias Pape
Am 2011-02-22 um 11:08 schrieb Janko Mivšek:
> On 22. 02. 2011 09:11, Craig Latta wrote:
>>
>>> I do not know the exact circumstances of squeaksource's amazing low
>>> google index, but I think we can change this.
>>
>>     Set up some Seaside servers for Google to crawl?
>
> New SqueakSource currently in development by Iliad guys will have nice
> REST-full Urls for the Smalltalk code. Google searchable therefore!

so will squeaksource3

so long,
        -tobias

Re: Pharo Sources Google Hit Ratio

Lukas Renggli
Note that SqueakSource had restful source URLs and sitemaps from the
very beginning.

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Am 2011-02-22 um 15:40 schrieb Lukas Renggli:
> Note that SqueakSource had restful source URLs and sitemaps from the
> very beginning.

Sure, but now these are preserved and not transformed into
the @…… urls :)

so long
        -tobias

Re: Pharo Sources Google Hit Ratio

I would like to have all the documentation and code on the web but no time to do it :)

Stef

On 2011-02-22, at 10:45, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]>wrote:

>> should
>>>>

>>> Maybe something like what Laurent made?
>>>
>>> http://magaloma.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> yep this is very nice already.
>> The only thing missing are the source code views.
>>
>> Are the sources/image available somwhere? That would be very nice...
>>

> Source here, global read/write but newbie code (I did this to learn):
> http://www.squeaksource.com/SimpleWebDoc.html
>
> I can send you the image if you want.

Hey, perfect, I will try to extend it by the end of the week.

Cool ! feel free to ask.

Laurent.

camillo

> Laurent.
>

>> thanks
>>
>> m(^_-)m
>> camillo

Re: Pharo Sources Google Hit Ratio

Janko Mivšek
I meant the RESTfull Urls not only to the projects but to their code as
well. Something like:

  http://code.world.st/Aida/WebSession.st for a whole class
  http://code.world.st/Aida/WebSession/lastRequest.st for a method.

I didn't see something like that yet on SqueakSource, or I missed something?

Janko

http://www.aidaweb.si

Am 2011-02-22 um 16:21 schrieb Janko Mivšek:
> I meant the RESTfull Urls not only to the projects but to their code as
> well. Something like:
>
>  http://code.world.st/Aida/WebSession.st for a whole class
>  http://code.world.st/Aida/WebSession/lastRequest.st for a method.
>
> I didn't see something like that yet on SqueakSource, or I missed something?

No, there is nothing like that yet.

so long,
        -tobias

Re: Pharo Sources Google Hit Ratio

what is squeaksource3?
when did it start?
Stef

>>>    Set up some Seaside servers for Google to crawl?
>>
>> New SqueakSource currently in development by Iliad guys will have nice
>> REST-full Urls for the Smalltalk code. Google searchable therefore!
>

> so will squeaksource3
>
> so long,
> -tobias

Re: Pharo Sources Google Hit Ratio

Camillo Bruni
we are close...
        - full smalltalk sources formatter for seaside
        - http://rubydoc.info/docs/yard/0.6.4/frames like interface

todo:
        - fix some formatting issues for the st sources
        - get the urls fully working
        - adapt the javascript queries

so I guess tomorrow or on saturday we will have a presentable version ready ;)

m(^_-)m
camillo

On 2011-02-22, at 23:59, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> what is squeaksource3?
> when did it start?
> Stef

>>> New SqueakSource currently in development by Iliad guys will have nice
>>> REST-full Urls for the Smalltalk code. Google searchable therefore!
>>

>> so will squeaksource3
>>
>> so long,
>> -tobias

SqueakSource3 (was: Re: Pharo Sources Google Hit Ratio)

Tobias Pape
Am 2011-02-22 um 23:59 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse:

> what is squeaksource3?
> when did it start?
> Stef

>>> New SqueakSource currently in development by Iliad guys will have nice
>>> REST-full Urls for the Smalltalk code. Google searchable therefore!
>>

>> so will squeaksource3
>>
>> so long,
>> -tobias

Squeaksource3 is at
http://squeaksource.com/squeaksource3.html (when working)
and a (manual, not-up-to-date) mirror at
http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/squeaksource3.html

I started this thing around mid-last year in efforts
to get SqueakSource working on Seaside3, Magritte2
and gemstone with Email support, while integrating
the different squeaksource versions floating around.
During that time I tried to make SqueakSource more
Framework-like to enhance extensibility.
Philippe and Dale contributed much to the current state.
  In the last 3 month, I had little time for this
project, but I plan to be able to release an alpha or so
in the next weeks.

So Long,
        -Tobias

Re: SqueakSource3 (was: Re: Pharo Sources Google Hit Ratio)

laurent laffont
On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
Am 2011-02-22 um 23:59 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse:
> what is squeaksource3?
> when did it start?
> Stef

>>> New SqueakSource currently in development by Iliad guys will have nice
>>> REST-full Urls for the Smalltalk code. Google searchable therefore!
>>

>> so will squeaksource3
>>
>> so long,
>>      -tobias

Squeaksource3 is at
http://squeaksource.com/squeaksource3.html (when working)
and a (manual, not-up-to-date) mirror at
http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/squeaksource3.html

I started this thing around mid-last year in efforts
to get SqueakSource working on Seaside3, Magritte2
and gemstone with Email support, while integrating
the different squeaksource versions floating around.
During that time I tried to make SqueakSource more
Framework-like to enhance extensibility.
Philippe and Dale contributed much to the current state.
 In the last 3 month, I had little time for this
project, but I plan to be able to release an alpha or so
in the next weeks.

Would be cool to have a webdesigner making this sexy :)

Laurent.

So Long,
       -Tobias

On 2011-02-25, at 10:19, laurent laffont wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:14 AM, Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Am 2011-02-22 um 23:59 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse:
>>> what is squeaksource3?
>>> when did it start?
>>> Stef

>> Squeaksource3 is at
>> http://squeaksource.com/squeaksource3.html (when working)
>> and a (manual, not-up-to-date) mirror at
>> http://seaside.gemstone.com/ss/squeaksource3.html
>>
>> I started this thing around mid-last year in efforts
>> to get SqueakSource working on Seaside3, Magritte2
>> and gemstone with Email support, while integrating
>> the different squeaksource versions floating around.
>> During that time I tried to make SqueakSource more
>> Framework-like to enhance extensibility.
>> Philippe and Dale contributed much to the current state.
>> In the last 3 month, I had little time for this
>> project, but I plan to be able to release an alpha or so
>> in the next weeks.
>>

> Would be cool to have a webdesigner making this sexy :

wasn't there a squeasource 2 which was nicely designed?

camillo

> Laurent.
>

>> So Long,
>>        -Tobias

Re: Pharo Sources Google Hit Ratio

Some students at annecy started to produce yard but in pharo for pharo.
I do not know where they are: herve verjus is their supervisors.

> we are close...
> - full smalltalk sources formatter for seaside
> - http://rubydoc.info/docs/yard/0.6.4/frames like interface
>
> todo:
> - fix some formatting issues for the st sources
> - get the urls fully working
> - adapt the javascript queries
>
> so I guess tomorrow or on saturday we will have a presentable version ready ;)
>
> m(^_-)m
> camillo
>
> On 2011-02-22, at 23:59, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> what is squeaksource3?
>> when did it start?
>> Stef

>>> so will squeaksource3