Pharo VM

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi Stef,

last year you mentioned that in January you want to brand our own VM.
Is there any progress in this area? Will there be still two VMs (Cog
and Stack)? Will we have own git repository?

Cheers,
-- Pavel

Re: Pharo VM

Schwab,Wilhelm K
And when do we begin to "live long and prosper" with Spock's help?   Sorry, had to ask, it's a wonderful idea.

Re: Pharo VM

EstebanLM
Hi,

well.. we already have git repositories:

and a cool process to build vm's:

and I'm even packaging "pharo branded vm's" for mac:

but this last part is just a "start job"... more need to be done.
to be clear: we are NOT forking cog or anything, just branding it in a way who fit us better, and working on plugins we think are needed to be there.

best,
Esteban

El 21/02/2012, a las 9:58a.m., Schwab,Wilhelm K escribió:

And when do we begin to "live long and prosper" with Spock's help?   Sorry, had to ask, it's a wonderful idea.

Re: Pharo VM

Pavel Krivanek-3
I'm asking because Stef mentioned that and I told it to a friend that
should create and maintain Fedora packages for Pharo. So he naturally
decided to wait....

Cheers,
-- Pavel

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 3:31 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> well.. we already have git repositories:
>
> https://gitorious.org/cogvm/blessed
>
> and a cool process to build vm's:
>
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2011/04/10/building-the-vm-from-scratch-using-git-and-cmakevmmaker/
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2011/04/16/building-the-vm-second-part/
>
> and I'm even packaging "pharo branded vm's" for mac:
>
> https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/VM/job/Pharo-Mac-Cocoa/
>
> but this last part is just a "start job"... more need to be done.
> to be clear: we are NOT forking cog or anything, just branding it in a way
> who fit us better, and working on plugins we think are needed to be there.
>
> best,
> Esteban
>
> El 21/02/2012, a las 9:58a.m., Schwab,Wilhelm K escribió:
>
> And when do we begin to "live long and prosper" with Spock's help?   Sorry,
> had to ask, it's a wonderful idea.

Re: Pharo VM

Igor Stasenko
On 21 February 2012 16:50, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm asking because Stef mentioned that and I told it to a friend that
> should create and maintain Fedora packages for Pharo. So he naturally
> decided to wait....

Here some news:
We finally got windows slave up and running. So, now we can build Vms
for all 3 platforms and test them.

Now there are 2 things left before releasing updated VMs:
 - test why windows VM crashing randomly
 - create an job for building 1-click package.

P.S. An automatic builds often detecting various discrepancies here
and there, since it doing everything from scratch every time,
which you usually don't do if run things manually.
Which is good, because it helps us to ensure that things we do are
reproducable, but it means having more work :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Pharo VM

Guido Stepken

Thank you! Very much!

Am 21.02.2012 23:11 schrieb "Igor Stasenko" <[hidden email]>:
On 21 February 2012 16:50, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm asking because Stef mentioned that and I told it to a friend that
> should create and maintain Fedora packages for Pharo. So he naturally
> decided to wait....

Here some news:
We finally got windows slave up and running. So, now we can build Vms
for all 3 platforms and test them.

Now there are 2 things left before releasing updated VMs:
 - test why windows VM crashing randomly
 - create an job for building 1-click package.

P.S. An automatic builds often detecting various discrepancies here
and there, since it doing everything from scratch every time,
which you usually don't do if run things manually.
Which is good, because it helps us to ensure that things we do are
reproducable, but it means having more work :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Pharo VM

EstebanLM
cool! really good news :)

El 21/02/2012, a las 7:11p.m., Igor Stasenko escribió:

> On 21 February 2012 16:50, Pavel Krivanek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'm asking because Stef mentioned that and I told it to a friend that
>> should create and maintain Fedora packages for Pharo. So he naturally
>> decided to wait....
>>
> Here some news:
> We finally got windows slave up and running. So, now we can build Vms
> for all 3 platforms and test them.
>
> Now there are 2 things left before releasing updated VMs:
> - test why windows VM crashing randomly
> - create an job for building 1-click package.
>
> P.S. An automatic builds often detecting various discrepancies here
> and there, since it doing everything from scratch every time,
> which you usually don't do if run things manually.
> Which is good, because it helps us to ensure that things we do are
> reproducable, but it means having more work :)
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: Pharo VM

> Here some news:
> We finally got windows slave up and running. So, now we can build Vms
> for all 3 platforms and test them.

Excellent news to me

> Now there are 2 things left before releasing updated VMs:
> - test why windows VM crashing randomly

- test why dave mason got mac vm crashing that much.

> - create an job for building 1-click package.
>
> P.S. An automatic builds often detecting various discrepancies here
> and there, since it doing everything from scratch every time,
> which you usually don't do if run things manually.
> Which is good, because it helps us to ensure that things we do are
> reproducable, but it means having more work :)
>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: Pharo VM

Tudor Girba-2
+1

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: Pharo VM

Damien Pollet
On 21 February 2012 15:31, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> and I'm even packaging "pharo branded vm's" for mac:
>
> https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/VM/job/Pharo-Mac-Cocoa/

I've just tried it and it does not find the .sources file that CogVM
cocoa finds fine.

> but this last part is just a "start job"... more need to be done.
> to be clear: we are NOT forking cog or anything, just branding it in a way
> who fit us better, and working on plugins we think are needed to be there.

yes, the icon for .image has wrong transparency and an ugly font… I
should apply some obsessive-compulsive detail-fixing effort to that,
but I need a proper graphics editor ;)

--
Damien Pollet

Re: Pharo VM

EstebanLM
Hi,

El 22/02/2012, a las 12:01p.m., Damien Pollet escribió:

> On 21 February 2012 15:31, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> and I'm even packaging "pharo branded vm's" for mac:
>>
>> https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/view/VM/job/Pharo-Mac-Cocoa/
>
> I've just tried it and it does not find the .sources file that CogVM
> cocoa finds fine.

what do you mean? where should look for and it doesn't?

Esteban

>> but this last part is just a "start job"... more need to be done.
>> to be clear: we are NOT forking cog or anything, just branding it in a way
>> who fit us better, and working on plugins we think are needed to be there.
>
> yes, the icon for .image has wrong transparency and an ugly font… I
> should apply some obsessive-compulsive detail-fixing effort to that,
> but I need a proper graphics editor ;)
>

> --
> Damien Pollet
> type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet

Re: Pharo VM

Damien Pollet
>> I've just tried it and it does not find the .sources file that CogVM
>> cocoa finds fine.
>
> what do you mean? where should look for and it doesn't?

I have Pharo.app and PharoV10.sources in the same directory. When I
opened an image, I had an error dialog saying "could not find
…/Pharo.app/PharoV10.sources"

It might be still an image problem, I know there were discrepancies
between Smalltalk vmPath and similar methods / primitives…

--
Damien Pollet

Re: Pharo VM

Igor Stasenko
On 22 February 2012 16:59, Damien Pollet <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I've just tried it and it does not find the .sources file that CogVM
>>> cocoa finds fine.
>>
>> what do you mean? where should look for and it doesn't?
>
> I have Pharo.app and PharoV10.sources in the same directory. When I
> opened an image, I had an error dialog saying "could not find
> …/Pharo.app/PharoV10.sources"
>
> It might be still an image problem, I know there were discrepancies
> between Smalltalk vmPath and similar methods / primitives…

ah yes, we had a discussion about that recently.
if i remember the vm path should return path to vm binary, not a
"wrapper" folder which mac using.

just want to make things same for all platforms. then on image side we
can always differ based on what OS it runs.

> --
> Damien Pollet
> type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Pharo VM

EstebanLM
So... is not my fault?

(btw... Damien, that problem should be present on any cocoa build, not just Pharo.app :)

Esteban

El 22/02/2012, a las 1:05p.m., Igor Stasenko escribió:

>>> what do you mean? where should look for and it doesn't?
>>
>> I have Pharo.app and PharoV10.sources in the same directory. When I
>> opened an image, I had an error dialog saying "could not find
>> …/Pharo.app/PharoV10.sources"
>>
>> It might be still an image problem, I know there were discrepancies
>> between Smalltalk vmPath and similar methods / primitives…
>>
> ah yes, we had a discussion about that recently.
> if i remember the vm path should return path to vm binary, not a
> "wrapper" folder which mac using.
>
> just want to make things same for all platforms. then on image side we
> can always differ based on what OS it runs.
>
>> --
>> Damien Pollet
>> type less, do more [ | ] http://people.untyped.org/damien.pollet
>>

> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: Pharo VM

Igor Stasenko
On 22 February 2012 17:07, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
> So... is not my fault?

we should sync things with image side.
(if vm does the right thing of course :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.