Pharo and FPGA

NorbertHartl
I’m trying to collect information about programming in pharo for FPGA. The only things I found are around PharoROS like this [1]. If anyone has more information or is willing to talk about I’m open ears.

The background is that we did little things with the PharoThings toolkit and want to research which other combinations like Arduino, ESP32, FPGAs are there to be a good extensions to a Pi.

Any hint is welcomed!

Thanks,

Norbert

[1] http://esug.org/data/ESUG2014/IWST/Papers/iwst2014_From%20Smalltalk%20to%20Silicon_Towards%20a%20methodology%20to%20turn%20Smalltalk%20code%20into%20FPGA.pdf

Re: Pharo and FPGA

Ben Coman
not quite what you asked, but... apart from their size, one advantage of FPGAs and Arduino & ESP32 microprocessors
over purpose CPUs is providing deterministic real-time latency (i.e. sensor inputs controlling motors).
For that domain a strong contender in a Pi-like format is the Programmable Realtime Unit of the BeagleBone Black.

40x faster response time than the main CPU of BeagleBone (and Pi).  See slide 11...

cheers -ben

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019 at 22:32, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
I’m trying to collect information about programming in pharo for FPGA. The only things I found are around PharoROS like this [1]. If anyone has more information or is willing to talk about I’m open ears.

The background is that we did little things with the PharoThings toolkit and want to research which other combinations like Arduino, ESP32, FPGAs are there to be a good extensions to a Pi.

Any hint is welcomed!

Thanks,

Norbert

[1] http://esug.org/data/ESUG2014/IWST/Papers/iwst2014_From%20Smalltalk%20to%20Silicon_Towards%20a%20methodology%20to%20turn%20Smalltalk%20code%20into%20FPGA.pdf

Re: Pharo and FPGA

cedreek
If I remember well, smalltalkers from britany have worked on FPGA design on visualwork. I think there were Loic Lagadec, Alain Plantec and Bernard Pottier.

Maybe they can help here ;-)

Cheers,

Cedrick

Le 10 mars 2019 à 01:38, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Could we do discuss such subjects in one pharo day for instance ?

May would be perfect for me.

Cheers,

Cédrick

Le 10 mars 2019 à 11:36, Loïc LAGADEC <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Yes!
Feel free to get in touch :)
Cheers
Loïc

Loïc Lagadec
Professor
Lab-STICC UMR CNRS 6285
Ensta Bretagne Deputy Head of Research - Cybersecurity

National Institute of Advanced Technology, Brittany
www.ensta-bretagne.fr - <a href="x-apple-data-detectors://4/2" dir="ltr" x-apple-data-detectors="true" x-apple-data-detectors-type="address" x-apple-data-detectors-result="4/2" style="-webkit-text-decoration-color: rgba(94, 94, 94, 0.258824);" class="">2 rue François Verny - 29806 Brest Cedex 9

Le 10 mars 2019 à 09:12, Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]> a écrit :

[...]

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Hi Norbert,

The PhD of Sang (in CC) was about FPGA and Smalltalk.
https://lxsang.me/

Noury

Le 11 mars 2019 à 14:51, Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Hi Norbert,

The PhD of Sang (in CC) was about FPGA and Smalltalk.
https://lxsang.me/

Really cool, thanks a lot :)

Noury

On 9 Mar 2019, at 15:31, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:

I’m trying to collect information about programming in pharo for FPGA. The only things I found are around PharoROS like this [1]. If anyone has more information or is willing to talk about I’m open ears.

The background is that we did little things with the PharoThings toolkit and want to research which other combinations like Arduino, ESP32, FPGAs are there to be a good extensions to a Pi.

Any hint is welcomed!

Thanks,

Norbert

[1] http://esug.org/data/ESUG2014/IWST/Papers/iwst2014_From%20Smalltalk%20to%20Silicon_Towards%20a%20methodology%20to%20turn%20Smalltalk%20code%20into%20FPGA.pdf

I found this other reference (ESU15) and the associated youtube video:
http://esug.org/data/ESUG2015/IWST/Papers/IWST_2015_submission_6.pdf

And some other there: https://info.lxsang.me/#toc9

So busy, for the next couple hours ;-) (even more with the PhD https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-01661569/document)

Thanks,

Cédrick

Ps: I was looking at this conference who might be interesting for such subject and applications (but end of this week).

Re: Pharo and FPGA

Yves Lenfant
For information, you can find a list of old research about smalltalk embedded
in hardware:
http://www.merlintec.com/swiki/hardware/26.html
<http://www.merlintec.com/swiki/hardware/26.html>

BR