Pharo and VPS

Jimmie Houchin-5
Hello,

I am exploring getting a VPS similar to the 1GB option.
https://www.linode.com/pricing

I have not selected a company or service at this time so this is simply
an example and one of my options.

I have not used such a service before.

How suitable is Pharo currently for such an use case?
Will Pharo and its polling and constant minimum cpu usage be a problem?

I am wanting to learn to use VPS/Cloud services. I am wanting to play
with a web server, wiki, blog. I want control of my tools and not the
standard LAMP setup that so commonly offered.

Any wisdom on Pharo in such an environment, pros and cons, greatly
appreciated.

Thanks.

Jimmie

Re: Pharo and VPS

EstebanLM

> On 15 Oct 2015, at 17:17, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I am exploring getting a VPS similar to the 1GB option.
> https://www.linode.com/pricing
>
> I have not selected a company or service at this time so this is simply an example and one of my options.
>
> I have not used such a service before.
>
> How suitable is Pharo currently for such an use case?

as far as you install all the 32bits libraries, you are ok :)

> Will Pharo and its polling and constant minimum cpu usage be a problem?

no, I have similar services.
I have more problems with the obsession of MongoDB to take over my RAM than with Pharo (and I run 4 pharo boxes in 1gb memory) :)

Esteban

> I am wanting to learn to use VPS/Cloud services. I am wanting to play with a web server, wiki, blog. I want control of my tools and not the standard LAMP setup that so commonly offered.
>
> Any wisdom on Pharo in such an environment, pros and cons, greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jimmie

Re: Pharo and VPS

Jimmie Houchin-5
Thanks. That is exactly what I wanted to know.

Jimmie

On 10/15/2015 10:22 AM, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

>> On 15 Oct 2015, at 17:17, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am exploring getting a VPS similar to the 1GB option.
>> https://www.linode.com/pricing
>>
>> I have not selected a company or service at this time so this is simply an example and one of my options.
>>
>> I have not used such a service before.
>>
>> How suitable is Pharo currently for such an use case?
> as far as you install all the 32bits libraries, you are ok :)
>
>> Will Pharo and its polling and constant minimum cpu usage be a problem?
> no, I have similar services.
> I have more problems with the obsession of MongoDB to take over my RAM than with Pharo (and I run 4 pharo boxes in 1gb memory) :)
>
> Esteban
>
>> I am wanting to learn to use VPS/Cloud services. I am wanting to play with a web server, wiki, blog. I want control of my tools and not the standard LAMP setup that so commonly offered.
>>
>> Any wisdom on Pharo in such an environment, pros and cons, greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Jimmie

Re: Pharo and VPS

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

I am exploring getting a VPS similar to the 1GB option.
https://www.linode.com/pricing

I have not selected a company or service at this time so this is simply an example and one of my options.

I have not used such a service before.

I am using Linode and running Pharo and GemStone there (CentOS 7). So far no problem and Linode seem very very cool.

How suitable is Pharo currently for such an use case?
Will Pharo and its polling and constant minimum cpu usage be a problem?

It's not in my case. Linode does invoice for cpu cycles, you simply has CPU assigned and you do not care if it is 100% 24 hours a day or 10% used.  Other services like amazon etc do care about CPU cycles (the price is based somehow on that I think), but not in Linode or other VPS-like.

I am wanting to learn to use VPS/Cloud services. I am wanting to play with a web server, wiki, blog. I want control of my tools and not the standard LAMP setup that so commonly offered.

I am very happy with Linode. It supports many nice things like having multiple virtual images, clone them, backups, etc.
For example, I have a Linode template VM that is "ready to run my app" and then I can clone such VM for each site (app instance) we deploy.
We have a daily backup, weekly, monthly and one more free slot.

Any wisdom on Pharo in such an environment, pros and cons, greatly appreciated.

I think it depends on the type of app. For my case, I do not want to host myself anymore. So I would go for cloud based for sure. Then, you have the VPS like or the amazon-like. Both allow you to grow. I guess you may choose this depending on your type of app. In any case, you end up having a OS where you simply install Pharo and that's it.

Re: Pharo and VPS

Olivier Auverlot
Hi,

OVH have a very cool plan with Debian7 or 8.

Olivier ;-)

[...]

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 15-10-15 17:22, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

>> On 15 Oct 2015, at 17:17, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am exploring getting a VPS similar to the 1GB option.
>> https://www.linode.com/pricing
>>
>> I have not selected a company or service at this time so this is simply an example and one of my options.
>>
>> I have not used such a service before.
>>
>> How suitable is Pharo currently for such an use case?

We run a few pharo images with a pier site each behind nginx on the
smallest ($5/mnd) DigitalOcean VPS.

Stephan

Re: Pharo and VPS

Jimmie Houchin-5
Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like a winner to me.

Jimmie

[...]

Jose San Leandro
I used linode long time ago, and switched to a dedicated host. Much better performance for cheaper price, back then. I currently use server4you.de, but you can compare other providers here:
https://robot.your-server.de/order/market/country/ES#

I use openshift for some stuff as well. It would be feasible to set up a Pharo cartidge, as Andres Fortier suggests.

Thanks for the reply.

Sounds like a winner to me.

Jimmie

On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Esteban A. Maringolo
I use DigitalOcean, a 2 core-VPS with 1GB ram could host 10 concurrent
images without any issues, other than the constant ~5% CPU use while
idle. I/O was the bottleneck, so no race conditions between the
different images.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Sounds like a winner to me.
>
> Jimmie
>

> On 10/15/2015 10:32 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am exploring getting a VPS similar to the 1GB option.
>> https://www.linode.com/pricing
>>
>> I have not selected a company or service at this time so this is simply an
>> example and one of my options.
>>
>> I have not used such a service before.
>>

> I am using Linode and running Pharo and GemStone there (CentOS 7). So far no
> problem and Linode seem very very cool.
>

>> How suitable is Pharo currently for such an use case?
>> Will Pharo and its polling and constant minimum cpu usage be a problem?
>

> It's not in my case. Linode does invoice for cpu cycles, you simply has CPU
> assigned and you do not care if it is 100% 24 hours a day or 10% used.
> Other services like amazon etc do care about CPU cycles (the price is based
> somehow on that I think), but not in Linode or other VPS-like.
>

>> I am wanting to learn to use VPS/Cloud services. I am wanting to play with
>> a web server, wiki, blog. I want control of my tools and not the standard
>> LAMP setup that so commonly offered.
>

> I am very happy with Linode. It supports many nice things like having
> multiple virtual images, clone them, backups, etc.
> For example, I have a Linode template VM that is "ready to run my app" and
> then I can clone such VM for each site (app instance) we deploy.
> We have a daily backup, weekly, monthly and one more free slot.
>

>> Any wisdom on Pharo in such an environment, pros and cons, greatly
>> appreciated.
>>

> I think it depends on the type of app. For my case, I do not want to host
> myself anymore. So I would go for cloud based for sure. Then, you have the
> VPS like or the amazon-like. Both allow you to grow. I guess you may choose
> this depending on your type of app. In any case, you end up having a OS
> where you simply install Pharo and that's it.
>

> --
> Mariano
> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Pharo and VPS

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 15 Oct 2015, at 20:24, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I use DigitalOcean, a 2 core-VPS with 1GB ram could host 10 concurrent
> images without any issues, other than the constant ~5% CPU use while
> idle. I/O was the bottleneck, so no race conditions between the
> different images.

I second that, even the smallest instance, 512 MB RAM at $5, is more than enough for a couple of Pharo images. Just try it.

https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=6a0334a169dc

;-)

> Regards!
>
> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> Thanks for the reply.
>>
>> Sounds like a winner to me.
>>
>> Jimmie
>>

>> On 10/15/2015 10:32 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 12:17 PM, Jimmie Houchin <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I am exploring getting a VPS similar to the 1GB option.
>>> https://www.linode.com/pricing
>>>
>>> I have not selected a company or service at this time so this is simply an
>>> example and one of my options.
>>>
>>> I have not used such a service before.
>>>

>> I am using Linode and running Pharo and GemStone there (CentOS 7). So far no
>> problem and Linode seem very very cool.
>>

>>> How suitable is Pharo currently for such an use case?
>>> Will Pharo and its polling and constant minimum cpu usage be a problem?
>>

>> It's not in my case. Linode does invoice for cpu cycles, you simply has CPU
>> assigned and you do not care if it is 100% 24 hours a day or 10% used.
>> Other services like amazon etc do care about CPU cycles (the price is based
>> somehow on that I think), but not in Linode or other VPS-like.
>>

>>> I am wanting to learn to use VPS/Cloud services. I am wanting to play with
>>> a web server, wiki, blog. I want control of my tools and not the standard
>>> LAMP setup that so commonly offered.
>>

>> I am very happy with Linode. It supports many nice things like having
>> multiple virtual images, clone them, backups, etc.
>> For example, I have a Linode template VM that is "ready to run my app" and
>> then I can clone such VM for each site (app instance) we deploy.
>> We have a daily backup, weekly, monthly and one more free slot.
>>

>>> Any wisdom on Pharo in such an environment, pros and cons, greatly
>>> appreciated.
>>>

>> I think it depends on the type of app. For my case, I do not want to host
>> myself anymore. So I would go for cloud based for sure. Then, you have the
>> VPS like or the amazon-like. Both allow you to grow. I guess you may choose
>> this depending on your type of app. In any case, you end up having a OS
>> where you simply install Pharo and that's it.
>>

>> --
>> Mariano
>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Pharo and VPS

Esteban A. Maringolo

>> On 15 Oct 2015, at 20:24, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I use DigitalOcean, a 2 core-VPS with 1GB ram could host 10 concurrent
>> images without any issues, other than the constant ~5% CPU use while
>> idle. I/O was the bottleneck, so no race conditions between the
>> different images.
>
> I second that, even the smallest instance, 512 MB RAM at $5, is more than enough for a couple of Pharo images. Just try it.
>
> https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=6a0334a169dc

You are smarter than me ;-)

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Pharo and VPS

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 15 Oct 2015, at 20:54, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> On 15 Oct 2015, at 20:24, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I use DigitalOcean, a 2 core-VPS with 1GB ram could host 10 concurrent
>>> images without any issues, other than the constant ~5% CPU use while
>>> idle. I/O was the bottleneck, so no race conditions between the
>>> different images.
>>
>> I second that, even the smallest instance, 512 MB RAM at $5, is more than enough for a couple of Pharo images. Just try it.
>>
>> https://www.digitalocean.com/?refcode=6a0334a169dc
>
> You are smarter than me ;-)

;-)

Re: Pharo and VPS

Jimmie Houchin-5
Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions.

Thanks to the smart man in the room. I will explore DigitalOcean and
setup up a droplet when ready.

Thanks for the referral.

Jimmie