Pharo and an old plotter

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi,

I would like to mention one funny usage of Pharo. I have got an old
simple czech plotter from 1989 named XY4150. It is no secret that the
interactive environment of Smalltalk is ideal for controlling such
machines because it is very easy to send commands to it and experiment
with drawing capabilities.

Even today such old hardware can find a real-life production
deployment. I currently use it to write owner names to plastic cards
with pre-printed bar codes by a special pen destined to sign credit
cards :-)

It is controlled by Arduino however LPT can be used too.

Btw. there was several interesting czech plotters. The most
interesting one was named Merkur Alfi. It was a construction set for
children with two stepper motors and one relay.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUmFYzyL9eo

And they started to sell it recently again so if you are looking for
some cool hardware for your children, you can look here:
http://www.merkurtoys.cz/vyrobky/plotrovy-zapisovac-alfi-z-merkuru[1]
But it's about 139€ so it's quite expensive...

Cheers,
-- Pavel

pharo-plotter2.JPG (103K) Download Attachment

Re: Pharo and an old plotter

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Nice!  What is the physical/electrical connection?  Serial, parallel, etc.?  If serial, did you have any problems with opening ports?  On which VM?

Bill

-- Pavel

Re: Pharo and an old plotter

Pavel Krivanek-3
The plotter needs only 6 pins (gnd, pen, axe, direction, step, ready)
so it can be controlled directly via LPT. I firstly successfully tried
a windows machine with a parallel port.

For USB connection I used Arduino with serial communication where
Arduino accepts simple basic commands and when it's done it sends a
message to get the next ones. It's on Linux with latest CogVM but I
had to create symlink from /dev/ttyUSB0 to /dev/ttySx and open the
port by number (x), not by the name. See
http://www.mail-archive.com/pharo-project@.../msg60816.html

-- Pavel

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nice!  What is the physical/electrical connection?  Serial, parallel, etc.?  If serial, did you have any problems with opening ports?  On which VM?
>
> Bill

Re: Pharo and an old plotter

Schwab,Wilhelm K
The vm really needs to tell us what is trying to do when translating names to numbers, and probably needs to ask the image for help (not sure how to do that, but these defects are all too comon).  I would have thought that either a symlink or using numbers (BTW, how does THAT work? <g>) would be enough.

Interesting about the parallel port.  I have a book at home (IIRC, its The Robot Builder's Bonanza) that described using a particular type of buffer-driver chip to receive commands from a parallel port.  I soon realized that quad or whatever prefix was irrelevant, and what was really going on was that the buffer-driver chip was able decode the parallel port lines (correct logic type) and the buffer business allowed it to give a little kick to things like relays.  Bottom line: I had the parallel port switching relays that controlled electronic valves.   It worked great.  In the current world, I would probably drag out an AccesIO A/D board and use its digital outputs to do the work, but the chip did the job.

Bill

The plotter needs only 6 pins (gnd, pen, axe, direction, step, ready)
so it can be controlled directly via LPT. I firstly successfully tried
a windows machine with a parallel port.

For USB connection I used Arduino with serial communication where
Arduino accepts simple basic commands and when it's done it sends a
message to get the next ones. It's on Linux with latest CogVM but I
had to create symlink from /dev/ttyUSB0 to /dev/ttySx and open the
port by number (x), not by the name. See
http://www.mail-archive.com/pharo-project@.../msg60816.html

-- Pavel

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nice!  What is the physical/electrical connection?  Serial, parallel, etc.?  If serial, did you have any problems with opening ports?  On which VM?
>
> Bill

Re: Pharo and an old plotter

garduino
Wow, what a cool project! And I m not saying that only because you
mentioned "Arduino" :D

--
Enviado desde mi dispositivo móvil

Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
Arduino Software  http://www.arduinosoftware.com
PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com
greensecure.blogspot.com germanarduino.blogpost.com

Re: Pharo and an old plotter

cool

Stef

On Mar 22, 2012, at 2:47 PM, Pavel Krivanek wrote:

> <pharo-plotter2.JPG>

Re: Pharo and an old plotter

NorbertHartl
Pavel,

that is really nice. I like those kind of projects (well, I hate them, too, because I don't find time to do that stuff). If you are looking for a new one. A port of moppy [1] to pharo would be cool. Then we could do things like this [2] from pharo.

Norbert

[1] http://dduino.blogspot.de/2011/10/moppy-playing-music-with-floppy-drives.html
[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xk_XaJ7gE4Q