Pharo and db support

Stephan Eggermont-3
Doru wrote:
 >I would like to collect a list of the solutions to link
 >Pharo with existing databases. I am interested in
 >both relational and in object databases.

Something like http://www.seaside.st/documentation/persistence?

Stephan

Re: Pharo and db support

Diogenes Moreira
http://www.smallworks.com.ar

We have a lot products in productions using relationals
database. Sadly, we don't have webpages for all
products...we are programmers :)

Today, our strategy is use Glorp, with SqueakDBX.
(Postgres, MySql, Oracle and comming Soon MSSQL), when we don't use
the prevalence

But we have products with Glorp with direct driver and
Homemade Frameworks.

the best success case is a Postal Tracking System. This
system manages arround 2 millon  letters at month. This system
use PostgreSql and Glorp.

Best Regards

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Doru wrote:
>  >I would like to collect a list of the solutions to link
>  >Pharo with existing databases. I am interested in
>  >both relational and in object databases.
>
> Something like http://www.seaside.st/documentation/persistence?
>
> Stephan

Re: Pharo and db support

Stéphane Ducasse
Excellent!
Diogenes it would be great if you could have a web page :)

Stef

On Nov 26, 2009, at 10:17 PM, Diogenes Moreira wrote:

> http://www.smallworks.com.ar
>
> We have a lot products in productions using relationals
> database. Sadly, we don't have webpages for all
> products...we are programmers :)
>
> Today, our strategy is use Glorp, with SqueakDBX.
> (Postgres, MySql, Oracle and comming Soon MSSQL), when we don't use
> the prevalence
>
> But we have products with Glorp with direct driver and
> Homemade Frameworks.
>
> the best success case is a Postal Tracking System. This
> system manages arround 2 millon  letters at month. This system
> use PostgreSql and Glorp.
>

> Best Regards
>
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Doru wrote:
>>  >I would like to collect a list of the solutions to link
>>  >Pharo with existing databases. I am interested in
>>  >both relational and in object databases.
>>
>> Something like http://www.seaside.st/documentation/persistence?
>>
>> Stephan

Re: Pharo and db support

Diogenes Moreira
in fact, we are working on a new page .... please be patient with us as ..

is the tipical situation, the good programmers make horrible
pages...please some graphics artist, help us....   :)

Regards.

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Excellent!
> Diogenes it would be great if you could have a web page :)
>
> Stef
>
> On Nov 26, 2009, at 10:17 PM, Diogenes Moreira wrote:
>
>> http://www.smallworks.com.ar
>>
>> We have a lot products in productions using relationals
>> database. Sadly, we don't have webpages for all
>> products...we are programmers :)
>>
>> Today, our strategy is use Glorp, with SqueakDBX.
>> (Postgres, MySql, Oracle and comming Soon MSSQL), when we don't use
>> the prevalence
>>
>> But we have products with Glorp with direct driver and
>> Homemade Frameworks.
>>
>> the best success case is a Postal Tracking System. This
>> system manages arround 2 millon  letters at month. This system
>> use PostgreSql and Glorp.
>>

>> Best Regards
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Doru wrote:
>>>  >I would like to collect a list of the solutions to link
>>>  >Pharo with existing databases. I am interested in
>>>  >both relational and in object databases.
>>>
>>> Something like http://www.seaside.st/documentation/persistence?
>>>
>>> Stephan

Re: Pharo and db support

Tudor Girba
Hi,

That sounds interesting indeed.

But, I was more talking about the projects for DB mapping, not the
application projects. In other words, what Pharo project are you using
and which version to work with what version of what database.

For example, you mentioned SqueakDBX. Which version? Is the latest one
Ok? The same for Glorp.

Cheers,
Doru

On 26 Nov 2009, at 22:59, Diogenes Moreira wrote:

> in fact, we are working on a new page .... please be patient with us
> as ..
>
> is the tipical situation, the good programmers make horrible
> pages...please some graphics artist, help us....   :)
>

> Regards.
>
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 6:45 PM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Excellent!
>> Diogenes it would be great if you could have a web page :)
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Nov 26, 2009, at 10:17 PM, Diogenes Moreira wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.smallworks.com.ar
>>>
>>> We have a lot products in productions using relationals
>>> database. Sadly, we don't have webpages for all
>>> products...we are programmers :)
>>>
>>> Today, our strategy is use Glorp, with SqueakDBX.
>>> (Postgres, MySql, Oracle and comming Soon MSSQL), when we don't use
>>> the prevalence
>>>
>>> But we have products with Glorp with direct driver and
>>> Homemade Frameworks.
>>>
>>> the best success case is a Postal Tracking System. This
>>> system manages arround 2 millon  letters at month. This system
>>> use PostgreSql and Glorp.
>>>

>>> Best Regards

www.tudorgirba.com

"The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

Re: Pharo and db support

Diogenes Moreira
A OK..

SqueakDbx  http://www.SqueakDBX.org

with Glorp. http://www.glorp.org

which version.... live in the trunk is more fun. :)

Best Regards.

On Nov 26, 2009, at 11:38 PM, Diogenes Moreira wrote:

> A OK..
>
> SqueakDbx  http://www.SqueakDBX.org
>
> with Glorp. http://www.glorp.org
>
> which version.... live in the trunk is more fun. :)

well.
I just got a discussion with doru that this is a pain to load the latest version of something
because you cannot load a previous and robust set of consistently working together versions.
Soon people will have to offer metacello configuration.

> Best Regards.
>
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> That sounds interesting indeed.
>>
>> But, I was more talking about the projects for DB mapping, not the
>> application projects. In other words, what Pharo project are you using
>> and which version to work with what version of what database.
>>
>> For example, you mentioned SqueakDBX. Which version? Is the latest one
>> Ok? The same for Glorp.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 26 Nov 2009, at 22:59, Diogenes Moreira wrote:
>>
>>> in fact, we are working on a new page .... please be patient with us
>>> as ..
>>>
>>> is the tipical situation, the good programmers make horrible
>>> pages...please some graphics artist, help us....   :)
>>>

>>> Regards.

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

Re: Pharo and db support

Mariano Martinez Peck
Ok.....Doru: I will answer you as much as I know.

I think it is good your idea of having a webpage with all the answers of your questions and even more. The seaside persistence page is ok, but two things: 1) this is not only squeak/pharo but others dialects too,  2) Most of those persistence strategies are not seaside dependent. I mean, you can use them in others contexts, not only seaside.

Maybe we can modify http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/PackagesTestedInPharo  and put more information.

what do you mean by "Projects that use this one" ? projects like Glorp or enterprise/company projeccts ?

Regarding SqueakDBX there are two projects: SqueakDBX itself and GlorpDBX.

SqueakDBX is just the database driver.

Maturity: SqueakDBX has raised the "stable" maturity.
Version: You can have in Universe 1.0 and 1.1 (which is the latest one). For stable releases we use Universe and SqueakMap, but not MC. However, most of the time, the latests versions in MC are "working". I know this is not the best approach and we can use Metacello or Sake but we didn't have time yet.
In this moment, you can install the latests version and will work perfect. You can take the latest Pharo image (core, dev or web), download the package SqueakDBXLoaders and then just evaluate SqueakDBXPharoLoader loadSqueakDBX.
Supported database vendor and version: I can told you the "tested" databases, but not the supported. Because I don't know. Maybe it works and maybe it doesn't.We have tested the following databases:  Oracle (I think 9 and 10, but I guess it should work on 11), MySQL 5 (in 4.1 we have some problems but there is some work done), PostgresSQL 8.X, Sqlite3.XXX, MSSQL 2005 and 2008.
Current development: GlorpDBX and fixing bugs when reported
Maintance support: we are here :)  we have our own mailing list: http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/squeakdbx
Website: www.squeakdbx.org

GlorpDBX: We did two things: we refactored Glorp so that it is not couple to the native postgresql driver anymore but to an API (abstract database driver). And then, we create a concrete Glorp driver for SqueakDBX (that's what we call GlorpDBX) and another one for the postgresql native driver.

Maturity: Yet in development. Thanks to ESUG for the sponsoring on SummerTalk 2009. Right now we have postgresql, mysql and oracle green tests. We will then work on MSSQL support.
Version: There is no release yet, but you can download the latest from MC. Just download the package SqueakDBXLoaders and evaluate SqueakDBXLoader loadGlorpDBX. The problem here is Glorp. The Glorp port we have in Squeak is too old. We plan to do a new port from VW but this is quite complicated as there is no exporter from Store to MC as I understand.
Supported database vendor and version: I can told you the "tested" databases, but not the supported. Because I don't know. Maybe it works and maybe it doesn't.We have tested the following databases:  Oracle (I think 9 and 10, but I guess it should work on 11), MySQL 5 (in 4.1 we have some problems but there is some work done), PostgresSQL 8.X.
Maintance support: we are here :)
Website: www.squeakdbx.org

There is also the native postgresql driver which also works on Pharo and it has no dependencies. In addition, you can load Glorp with our refactor and a new Glorp driver we did but using the postgresql native driver. To do this, you must download GlorpPharoLoader and evaluate loadGlorpWithNativePostgreSQLDriver.

There is also Magma than in the few months they did a lot of work and now it works also in Pharo.

Ok....that's all I could tell you. I don't have a pharo image here so maybe some of the messages I told you are wrong :(

Cheers,

Mariano

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 7:44 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Nov 26, 2009, at 11:38 PM, Diogenes Moreira wrote:

> A OK..
>
> SqueakDbx  http://www.SqueakDBX.org
>
> with Glorp. http://www.glorp.org
>
> which version.... live in the trunk is more fun. :)

well.
I just got a discussion with doru that this is a pain to load the latest version of something
because you cannot load a previous and robust set of consistently working together versions.
Soon people will have to offer metacello configuration.

> Best Regards.
>
> On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Tudor Girba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> That sounds interesting indeed.
>>
>> But, I was more talking about the projects for DB mapping, not the
>> application projects. In other words, what Pharo project are you using
>> and which version to work with what version of what database.
>>
>> For example, you mentioned SqueakDBX. Which version? Is the latest one
>> Ok? The same for Glorp.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>

>> On 26 Nov 2009, at 22:59, Diogenes Moreira wrote:
>>
>>> in fact, we are working on a new page .... please be patient with us
>>> as ..
>>>
>>> is the tipical situation, the good programmers make horrible
>>> pages...please some graphics artist, help us....   :)
>>>

>>> Regards.

>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

Re: Pharo and db support

Tudor Girba
Thanks, Mariano.

Indeed, that is the kind of information I am looking for.

Cheers,
Doru

On 27 Nov 2009, at 00:23, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:

> [...]
> >

> > Best Regards.
> >
> > On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 7:06 PM, Tudor Girba
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> That sounds interesting indeed.
> >>
> >> But, I was more talking about the projects for DB mapping, not the
> >> application projects. In other words, what Pharo project are you
> using
> >> and which version to work with what version of what database.
> >>
> >> For example, you mentioned SqueakDBX. Which version? Is the
> latest one
> >> Ok? The same for Glorp.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Doru

> with us

> don't use

> project
> >>
> >> --
> >> www.tudorgirba.com
> >>
> >> "The coherence of a trip is given by the clearness of the goal."

"From an abstract enough point of view, any two things are similar."