Pharo and the Morphic one window limitation

kmo

Pharo and the Morphic one window limitation

kmo
i was just wondering whether there were any definite plans to free Morphic from the one window restriction - apart from the obvious it will be done when someone gets the time/ inclination/ money to do it?

Is this something we can expect in Pharo 4.0 or 5.0 or 6.0?

The current limitation is not a problem if your app uses a large window and all its other windows can fit easily inside it - but if you have a small application with a small main window (for example a minesweeper or soduku game) then you can't even fit in the load/save game dialog.

I know I'm not saying anything new, but I was just wondering whether this was on a roadmap somewhere.

ken

Re: Pharo and the Morphic one window limitation

EstebanLM
No, there are no official plans. There are plans to free pharo from the evil window initialization through vm, but no multiwindows support.
But there are some no official plans to do it, and one of them is my own (Mars) which will allow you to dispatch morphs in separated windows, but is not usable (and it will not be for some time).

Esteban

kmo

Re: Pharo and the Morphic one window limitation

kmo
I had a quick look at Mars and thought it was fantastic! I was really impressed by the demo. is Mars still being improved/ developed? I haven't heard anything new for a couple of months.

Ken

Re: Pharo and the Morphic one window limitation

Igor Stasenko

On 11 January 2014 14:39, kmo <[hidden email]> wrote:
i was just wondering whether there were any /definite/ plans to free Morphic
from the one window restriction - apart from the obvious/ it will be done
when someone gets the time/ inclination/ money to do it/?

Is this something we can expect in Pharo 4.0 or 5.0 or 6.0?

The current limitation is not a problem if your app uses a large window and
all its other windows can fit easily inside it - but if you have a small
application with a small main window (for example a minesweeper or soduku
game) then you can't even fit in the load/save game dialog.

I know I'm not saying anything new, but I was just wondering whether this
was on a roadmap somewhere.

yes. it is. and actively under development now.

ken

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

On 11 January 2014 15:01, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
No, there are no official plans. There are plans to free pharo from the evil window initialization through vm, but no multiwindows support.
But there are some no official plans to do it, and one of them is my own (Mars) which will allow you to dispatch morphs in separated windows, but is not usable (and it will not be for some time).

yes, but morphic is not alpha and omega. once we will be able to free ourselves from 1 window 1 display slavery, it will open much more options.

Esteban

On 11 Jan 2014, at 14:39, kmo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> i was just wondering whether there were any /definite/ plans to free Morphic
> from the one window restriction - apart from the obvious/ it will be done
> when someone gets the time/ inclination/ money to do it/?
>
> Is this something we can expect in Pharo 4.0 or 5.0 or 6.0?
>
> The current limitation is not a problem if your app uses a large window and
> all its other windows can fit easily inside it - but if you have a small
> application with a small main window (for example a minesweeper or soduku
> game) then you can't even fit in the load/save game dialog.
>
> I know I'm not saying anything new, but I was just wondering whether this
> was on a roadmap somewhere.
>
> ken

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Pharo and the Morphic one window limitation

hilaire
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
kmo

Re: Pharo and the Morphic one window limitation

kmo
It's called Phobos. Thanks, but my question was a general one - I wasn't looking for an immediate alternative to Morphic.

Ken