Pharo apparently slow on linux

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

David shaffer reported to me in fuzzy way that pharo is slow on linux.
Dear linux users can you report if you experienced the same and
on which
        machine
        distributions
        vm
        image

please compare the core and the dev (with browser usage)

Re: Pharo apparently slow on linux

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 5:31 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

David shaffer reported to me in fuzzy way that pharo is slow on linux.
Dear linux users can you report if you experienced the same and
on which
       machine
       distributions
       vm
       image

please compare the core and the dev (with browser usage)

Ok, let me explain MY experience.

Most of my Pharo work is in Linux (at home). In windows I do little things because it is my work pc.

My data:

- Dual core 2 1.6 GZ, 2GB RAM
- Ubuntu 8.10
- VM: Exupery: pharo-vm-0.15.1b-linux.zip
- Images: latest

Now my comments:

1) Mac hardware is much better than normal pcs
2) Mac VM seems faster than others. I don't know if it is because 1) or any other reason.
3) I did find Pharo still slow. I don't blame to it. I think they are doing the good setps:
  a) indentify the slow stuff
  b) try to disable them from Pharo image. This point is REALLY important for me because all of the nice work you are doing won't be see by others. They open an image and if it takes 3 seconds to open a browser, they will close it and never use it again. And what about our 5000 green test? MIT? closure? To trash...
  c) look at the slow stuff and try to improve it
4) I really don't see a big difference beetween Linux and Windows performance in my case. Both are more or less the same situation.
5) I did see difference BIG difference with this two things:
    a) compare core to dev
    b) compare package browser with the simpler one
    c) compare seaside one click to pharo. I think this is because of b)
Because of this, in my pharo images I evaluate this when I download a new image:

ToolSet default: StandardToolSet.
SystemBrowser default: OBSystemBrowserAdaptor.
Preferences enable: #fastDragWindowForMorphic.
Preferences disable: #dynamicProtocolActivation.

With this, my image is usable enough. But not fast.

6) If you have the image in a SUN or over the network, that's VERY slow.
7) In windows, take care of antivirus like Nod32 because they won't let you use Pharo (mostly when you are snapshooting).

My proposal: There were some benchmarks trough different threads. So, what about recollecting all the benchmark we can (even create more if we can) and put them together in a script. We can do like a Poll and send an email to the mailing list. One we have several results, we can extract information from there.

From each user we must know which OS and version, which VM and version.

The benchmarks can also be run with different configuration (using for example what I told above)  and over different images (like core and pharo).

Perhaps having all this information we can extract something useful.

Best,

Mariano

Re: Pharo apparently slow on linux

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Stef,

You mean I have to admit what a pathetic old piece of junk I use? :)  I'll be happy to tell you what I am using, and I too suspect that the linux vm might be a bit slower than it needs to be.  Ideally, one would dual boot to allow a comparison against xp, or 2k.

I am starting to consider buying a newer machine.  If I do that, I will be willing to convert the current box into a dual boot testing platform, but would hesitate to do that now.  I recently repartitioned the drive, and still remember how long it takes to re-re-re-re-re(getting the idea?)check it for errors.  It was painful to watch.

Bill

Re: Pharo apparently slow on linux

laurent laffont
On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

David shaffer reported to me in fuzzy way that pharo is slow on linux.
Dear linux users can you report if you experienced the same and
on which
       machine
       distributions
       vm
       image

please compare the core and the dev (with browser usage)

machine: core duo 2.0 GHz, 1 GB RAM (White Macbook, 2007)
distribution: Archlinux
vm: exupery  pharo-vm-0.15.1b-linux.zip
images: pharo0.1-10373dev09.07.2 and latest Pharo-Core

Pharo-Core: (System Browser)
- startup time: instantaneous
- navigate randomly in browser: 3% - 8% CPU usage
- find class OrderedCollection:  ~10% CPU
- browse senders of add: time to open 1s, 21% CPU

Pharo-Dev: (Package Browser)
- statup time: 3s (cold start 5s)
- navigate randomly in browser: 9% - 15% CPU usage
- find class OrderedCollection:  ~13% CPU
- browse senders of add: time to open 19s, 48% CPU

Now I'm using Pharo-Core with Luka's scripts (http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/ImageBuildScripts) as it's far more pleasant to use for me.

Laurent

Re: Pharo apparently slow on linux

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Laurent,

I will preface this by saying that I have had a fairly intense week with Pharo.  I am closing in on a solution to a real problem.  I greatly miss Dolphin's Browse-it command, and its F12 and shift-F12 (definitions/references to a typed selector); the message search has its points, but it takes some extra steps to use in comparison to the Dolphin features.
Back to the topic at hand; let's see if I am following.  Start with a core image, run a script that installs what looks like a Pharo web image, makes a few changes to settings in favor of speed, and you get something that you find faster than Pharo??  Did you make the same speed selections in Pharo?  If so, one wonders what happened between core and Pharo-dev/web that Lukas did not do to the core image.

Sorry if I'm off base here - it's been a long and very good few days.

Bill

Re: Pharo apparently slow on linux

Damien Cassou
2009/7/18 Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]>:
> Back to the topic at hand; let's see if I am following.  Start with a core
> image, run a script that installs what looks like a Pharo web image, makes a
> few changes to settings in favor of speed, and you get something that you
> find faster than Pharo??  Did you make the same speed selections in Pharo?
> If so, one wonders what happened between core and Pharo-dev/web that Lukas
> did not do to the core image.

The difference is OB-Enhancements. OB-Enhancements is currently
installed in Pharo (not for long) but not in Lukas' script.
OB-Enhancements brings a MC package browsing whearead Lukas' brings a
Pharo category browsing.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Pharo apparently slow on linux

laurent laffont

Back to the topic at hand; let's see if I am following.  Start with a core image, run a script that installs what looks like a Pharo web image, makes a few changes to settings in favor of speed, and you get something that you find faster than Pharo??  Did you make the same speed selections in Pharo?  If so, one wonders what happened between core and Pharo-dev/web that Lukas did not do to the core image.

Sorry for the lack of precision, I've just loaded *some* of the packages: Refactoring, OmniBrowser, Tools, set the fonts and preferences.

Laurent

Re: Pharo apparently slow on linux

Adrian Lienhard

On Jul 18, 2009, at 08:02 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Laurent,
>
> I will preface this by saying that I have had a fairly intense week
> with Pharo.  I am closing in on a solution to a real problem.  I
> greatly miss Dolphin's Browse-it command, and its F12 and shift-F12
> (definitions/references to a typed selector); the message search has
> its points, but it takes some extra steps to use in comparison to
> the Dolphin features.

Isn't Ctrl-b (browse selected class name), Ctrl-m (implementors of
selector), Ctrl-n (senders of selector), and Ctrl-shift-n (class
references) doing the same? I almost never use the message search but
always these shortcuts.

Adrian

2009/7/17 Mariano Martinez Peck <[hidden email]>:
> I did find Pharo still slow.

Please try latest Pharo and tell me what you think.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

popular by not having them." James Iry

Re: Pharo apparently slow on linux

The message search is just a UI for people that do not know the
keyboard binding and this is
more welcoming. I think that if Ocompletion would be integrated there
it would be great
Stef

On Jul 18, 2009, at 8:46 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2009, at 08:02 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:
>
>> Laurent,
>>
>> I will preface this by saying that I have had a fairly intense week
>> with Pharo.  I am closing in on a solution to a real problem.  I
>> greatly miss Dolphin's Browse-it command, and its F12 and shift-F12
>> (definitions/references to a typed selector); the message search has
>> its points, but it takes some extra steps to use in comparison to
>> the Dolphin features.
>
> Isn't Ctrl-b (browse selected class name), Ctrl-m (implementors of
> selector), Ctrl-n (senders of selector), and Ctrl-shift-n (class
> references) doing the same? I almost never use the message search but
> always these shortcuts.
>
> Adrian
>
>> Back to the topic at hand; let's see if I am following.  Start with
>> a core image, run a script that installs what looks like a Pharo web
>> image, makes a few changes to settings in favor of speed, and you
>> get something that you find faster than Pharo??  Did you make the
>> same speed selections in Pharo?  If so, one wonders what happened
>> between core and Pharo-dev/web that Lukas did not do to the core
>> image.
>>
>> Sorry if I'm off base here - it's been a long and very good few days.
>>
>> Bill
>>

>> ________________________________

johnmci
2) Mac VM seems faster than others. I don't know if it is because 1)
or any other reason

This is because of compiler version choice,  compiler options,
tweaking, and from time to time re-verification of what is going on...
So yes the mac vm can be 30%, but maybe someone can check that

Re: Pharo apparently slow on linux

Schwab,Wilhelm K
They might be (I'll have to use them for a while), though I would still like to see especially the browse  command along side of evaluate/inspect/explore in the menus.

Thanks,

Bill

On Jul 18, 2009, at 08:02 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> Laurent,
>
> I will preface this by saying that I have had a fairly intense week
> with Pharo.  I am closing in on a solution to a real problem.  I
> greatly miss Dolphin's Browse-it command, and its F12 and shift-F12
> (definitions/references to a typed selector); the message search has
> its points, but it takes some extra steps to use in comparison to the
> Dolphin features.

Isn't Ctrl-b (browse selected class name), Ctrl-m (implementors of selector), Ctrl-n (senders of selector), and Ctrl-shift-n (class
references) doing the same? I almost never use the message search but always these shortcuts.

Adrian

> Back to the topic at hand; let's see if I am following.  Start with a
> core image, run a script that installs what looks like a Pharo web
> image, makes a few changes to settings in favor of speed, and you get
> something that you find faster than Pharo??  Did you make the same
> speed selections in Pharo?  If so, one wonders what happened between
> core and Pharo-dev/web that Lukas did not do to the core image.
>
> Sorry if I'm off base here - it's been a long and very good few days.
>
> Bill
>

> ________________________________

These actions are in the submenu "extended search".

HTH,
Adrian

On Jul 18, 2009, at 15:00 , Schwab,Wilhelm K wrote:

> They might be (I'll have to use them for a while), though I would
> still like to see especially the browse  command along side of
> evaluate/inspect/explore in the menus.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

Andreas Leidig
Rehi,

I experienced vm-does-not-start-anyway on linux.

This make a throughout of 0 instructions/sec; rather slow...

Cheers,

Andreas