Pharo at JPL

khinsen
Hi everyone,

I just saw the news (on Twitter) that JPL (NASA's Jet Propulsion
Laboratory) has joined the Pharo Consortium. Does anyone here know what
JPL is doing with Pharo? If it's related to scientific/engineering
applications, that would be a nice marketing argument in the
scientific/engineering community.

Konrad.

Re: Pharo at JPL

tbrunz
Hi Konrad,

I'm the person at JPL who (somehow) got "The Powers That Be" here to agree
to join the Consortium.

I'm also the major champion of Pharo at JPL, and am leading an effort to get
Pharo introduced & infused at JPL.

I see the initial "market" for Pharo here to be:

* Scientific & engineering data analysis & visualization,
* Modeling and simulation,
* Internal web servers,
* Custom ground support & test systems,
* Small-to-medium sized scripting to "support applications".

I'm sure more application areas will open up as I get people to start using
Pharo in their particular areas of expertise.

I'm doing what I can be promoting Pharo, providing introductions & training,
and I'm now working on demonstrations that can catch the attention of both
engineers and managers -- to see the potential.

Wish me luck!
-Ted

Re: Pharo at JPL

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Fri, Aug 28, 2020 at 3:27 PM tbrunz <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Good luck! And Well Done!!

Re: Pharo at JPL

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Ted,

Thanks for this advocacy and best of lucks.

Cheers,

Offray

On 28/08/20 5:27 p. m., tbrunz wrote:

> Hi Konrad,
>
> I'm the person at JPL who (somehow) got "The Powers That Be" here to agree
> to join the Consortium.
>
> I'm also the major champion of Pharo at JPL, and am leading an effort to get
> Pharo introduced & infused at JPL.
>
> I see the initial "market" for Pharo here to be:
>
> * Scientific & engineering data analysis & visualization,
> * Modeling and simulation,
> * Internal web servers,
> * Custom ground support & test systems,
> * Small-to-medium sized scripting to "support applications".
>
> I'm sure more application areas will open up as I get people to start using
> Pharo in their particular areas of expertise.
>
> I'm doing what I can be promoting Pharo, providing introductions & training,
> and I'm now working on demonstrations that can catch the attention of both
> engineers and managers -- to see the potential.
>
> Wish me luck!
> -Ted

Re: Pharo at JPL

tbrunz
Thanks!

And I want to give special thanks to Stef and to Alexandre Bergel for being
generous with their time in helping me with my advocacy.

It's just as you said, Offray: "We live in an attention economy" -- and the
competition is *fierce*!

(I think it's worse when you're dealing with educated professionals -- they
work hard, they play hard, and there's little left over to "learn something
new" sometimes.  But I am not discouraged... I take the long view on this.
Computers taught me patience.  I'm using that now...  ;^)

-t

Re: Pharo at JPL

tbrunz
JPL has its own Slack server...  Of course I started a channel:

<http://forum.world.st/file/t372161/jpl-slack-pharo-channel.png>

Re: Pharo at JPL

On 29 Aug 2020, at 01:46, tbrunz <[hidden email]> wrote:

Thanks!

And I want to give special thanks to Stef and to Alexandre Bergel for being
generous with their time in helping me with my advocacy.

It's just as you said, Offray: "We live in an attention economy" -- and the
competition is *fierce*!

Yes this is what many smalltalking people forgot. Pharo is in competition against
many large languages and we are not concerned with the little fight about other dead smalltalk compatibilities.

(I think it's worse when you're dealing with educated professionals -- they
work hard, they play hard, and there's little left over to "learn something
new" sometimes.  But I am not discouraged... I take the long view on this.
Computers taught me patience.  I'm using that now...  ;^)

-t

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Aurore Dalle
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: Pharo at JPL

SergeStinckwich

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 at 06:27, tbrunz <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Konrad,

I'm the person at JPL who (somehow) got "The Powers That Be" here to agree
to join the Consortium.

I'm also the major champion of Pharo at JPL, and am leading an effort to get
Pharo introduced & infused at JPL.

I see the initial "market" for Pharo here to be:

* Scientific & engineering data analysis & visualization,
* Modeling and simulation,
* Internal web servers,
* Custom ground support & test systems,
* Small-to-medium sized scripting to "support applications".

I'm sure more application areas will open up as I get people to start using
Pharo in their particular areas of expertise.

I'm doing what I can be promoting Pharo, providing introductions & training,
and I'm now working on demonstrations that can catch the attention of both
engineers and managers -- to see the potential.

Dear Ted,

We share a lot of common interests with you and Konrad.

I'm the main architect of PolyMath: https://github.com/PolyMathOrg/PolyMath
for doing scientific computing with Pharo.

I'm also involved in Kendrick, a domain-specific language for doing epidemiological modelling:
and a multi-agent modelling platform called CORMAS:

Regards,

Re: Pharo at JPL

Craig Latta

     Good luck, Ted, and congratulations!

-C

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital

Re: Pharo at JPL

khinsen
Hi Ted,

> I'm the person at JPL who (somehow) got "The Powers That Be" here to agree
> to join the Consortium.

Congratulations! That must have been a significant effort.

> I'm also the major champion of Pharo at JPL, and am leading an effort to get
> Pharo introduced & infused at JPL.

That's what I am most interested in. I am in biophysics research myself,
where Pharo is best described as invisible and unheard of. So I wonder
which techniques could work for introducing and infusing.

> I see the initial "market" for Pharo here to be:
>
> * Scientific & engineering data analysis & visualization,
> * Modeling and simulation,
> * Internal web servers,
> * Custom ground support & test systems,
> * Small-to-medium sized scripting to "support applications".

That looks like a lot of people to convince!

> I'm sure more application areas will open up as I get people to start using
> Pharo in their particular areas of expertise.

Indeed, the hard part is getting started.

> Wish me luck!

All you need!

Konrad.