Pharo based "Web Velocity"

Geert Claes
Administrator
Just wondering if anyone here knows about Cincom's WebVelocity Seaside based web development environment.  Are there any open source Pharo alternatives?

Re: Pharo based "Web Velocity"

Stéphane Ducasse
> Just wondering if anyone here knows about Cincom's WebVelocity Seaside based
> web development environment.

Yes we got brain-washed :)

>  Are there any open source Pharo alternatives?

May be Seaside-XUL or Glamour-Seaside. since Glamour browser can be displayed in a web browser.
I imagine that in the future we may have just seaside loaded and program in a web browser if we want.

Re: Pharo based "Web Velocity"

Geert Claes
Administrator
Stéphane Ducasse wrote
> Just wondering if anyone here knows about Cincom's WebVelocity Seaside based
> web development environment.

Yes we got brain-washed :)

>  Are there any open source Pharo alternatives?

May be Seaside-XUL or Glamour-Seaside. since Glamour browser can be displayed in a web browser.
I imagine that in the future we may have just seaside loaded and program in a web browser if we want.
Yep, I am very interested into a smalltalk web app IDE for a while now.  Although I really do like the concept behind WebVelocity, I have to say that I am not too keen on the tool as it is now.

I also just started looking at Moose/Glamour after stumbling on it recently.  In such an IDE, the project and component sharing is instrumental as it will boost innovation.  Maybe Gemstone will come up with a Pharo based alternative :)

Re: Pharo based "Web Velocity"

Dale
Geert,

I will say that there is definite interest on our part to port Moose/Glamour to GemStone. Cross platform tools are very interesting, because they provide a smooth transition into GemStone, when the need for GemStone arises.

Dale
----- "Geert Claes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
| >
| >> Just wondering if anyone here knows about Cincom's WebVelocity
| Seaside
| >> based
| >> web development environment.
| >
| > Yes we got brain-washed :)
| >
| >>  Are there any open source Pharo alternatives?
| >
| > May be Seaside-XUL or Glamour-Seaside. since Glamour browser can be
| > displayed in a web browser.
| > I imagine that in the future we may have just seaside loaded and
| program
| > in a web browser if we want.
| >

| Yep, I am very interested into a smalltalk web app IDE for a while
| now.
| Although I really do like the concept behind WebVelocity, I have to
| say that
| I am not too keen on the tool as it is now.
|
| I also just started looking at Moose/Glamour after stumbling on it
| recently.
| In such an IDE, the project and component sharing is instrumental as
| it will
| boost innovation.  Maybe Gemstone will come up with a Pharo based
| alternative :)

Re: Pharo based "Web Velocity"

Dave Mason-3

On 2010-Jan-2, at 2:09 , Geert Claes wrote:
>>> Just wondering if anyone here knows about Cincom's WebVelocity
>>> Seaside
>>> based web development environment.

>>> Are there any open source Pharo alternatives?

>> Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>> May be Seaside-XUL or Glamour-Seaside. since Glamour browser can be
>> displayed in a web browser.
>> I imagine that in the future we may have just seaside loaded and
>> program
>> in a web browser if we want.

On 2010-Jan-2, at 2:09 , Geert Claes wrote:
> Yep, I am very interested into a smalltalk web app IDE for a while
> now.
> Although I really do like the concept behind WebVelocity, I have to
> say that
> I am not too keen on the tool as it is now.

I have a new graduate student who will be working on this, but the
actual work won't start for a few months.  XUL and Moose/Glamour both
sound like interesting base points.

../Dave

Re: Pharo based "Web Velocity"

Pavel Krivanek-3
Hi Dale,

is there any interest in the SeasideXUL port into Gemstone too? The
client software is Mozilla Firefox 3 or XULRunner so supported
platforms should be Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, BSD, Solaris and
OpenSolaris.

Cheers,
-- Pavel

On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Dale Henrichs
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Geert,
>
> I will say that there is definite interest on our part to port Moose/Glamour to GemStone. Cross platform tools are very interesting, because they provide a smooth transition into GemStone, when the need for GemStone arises.
>
> Dale
> ----- "Geert Claes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> | Seaside
> | >
> | > Yes we got brain-washed :)

> | > May be Seaside-XUL or Glamour-Seaside. since Glamour browser can be
> | > displayed in a web browser.
> | > I imagine that in the future we may have just seaside loaded and
> | program
> | > in a web browser if we want.
> | >

> | Yep, I am very interested into a smalltalk web app IDE for a while
> | now.
> | Although I really do like the concept behind WebVelocity, I have to
> | say that
> | I am not too keen on the tool as it is now.
> |
> | I also just started looking at Moose/Glamour after stumbling on it
> | recently.
> | In such an IDE, the project and component sharing is instrumental as
> | it will
> | boost innovation.  Maybe Gemstone will come up with a Pharo based
> | alternative :)

Re: Pharo based "Web Velocity"

Dale
Pavel,

Yes! With Metacello taking less of my time, I will again be splitting my time between scaling work with Seaside 3.0/2.8 and improving the tool set, so I'm hopeful that I will make progress on my todo list instead of watching the top climb out of sight:)

Dale
----- "Pavel Krivanek" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| Hi Dale,
|
| is there any interest in the SeasideXUL port into Gemstone too? The
| client software is Mozilla Firefox 3 or XULRunner so supported
| platforms should be Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, BSD, Solaris and
| OpenSolaris.
|
| Cheers,
| -- Pavel
|
| On Sat, Jan 2, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Dale Henrichs
| <[hidden email]> wrote:
| > Geert,
| >
| > I will say that there is definite interest on our part to port
| Moose/Glamour to GemStone. Cross platform tools are very interesting,
| because they provide a smooth transition into GemStone, when the need
| for GemStone arises.
| >
| > Dale
| > ----- "Geert Claes" <[hidden email]> wrote:

| > | Seaside

| be
| and
| > | program

| > |
| > | Yep, I am very interested into a smalltalk web app IDE for a
| while
| > | now.
| > | Although I really do like the concept behind WebVelocity, I have
| > | say that
| > | I am not too keen on the tool as it is now.
| > |
| > | I also just started looking at Moose/Glamour after stumbling on
| it
| > | recently.
| > | In such an IDE, the project and component sharing is instrumental
| as
| > | it will
| > | boost innovation.  Maybe Gemstone will come up with a Pharo based
| > | alternative :)

Re: Pharo based "Web Velocity"

Geert Claes
Administrator
Dale Henrichs wrote
Pavel,

Yes! With Metacello taking less of my time, I will again be splitting my time between scaling work with Seaside 3.0/2.8 and improving the tool set, so I'm hopeful that I will make progress on my todo list instead of watching the top climb out of sight:)

Dale
Sounds great Dale!

Re: Pharo based "Web Velocity"

Geert Claes
Administrator
dmason wrote
I have a new graduate student who will be working on this, but the actual work won't start for a few months.  XUL and Moose/Glamour both sound like interesting base points.

../Dave
A start in a few months is probably not bad at all, I reckon by then Pharo may have an improved metacello project/component/package and version control system which will be instrumental when designing a smalltalk web app IDE :)

Anyhow, I am looking forward to see what your grad student comes up with!