Pharo beta 1.0 and Tutorials/Books directions

Pharo beta 1.0 and Tutorials/Books directions

csrabak

Dear folks,

Now Pharo beta 1.0 is out, and since the link

http://www.pharo-project.org/documentation/tutorials-books suggests the use of "Squeak By Example" as a first reference, I noticed that a person following the book  and using Pharo will not:

1) Be able to run the SqueakMap example from the Quick Tour;

2) Be able to create the SBECell (and as consequence build the Quinto example) because the image does not have anymore SimpleSwitchMorph (used to be in Morphic-Extras, but in Pharo this package has only PaintBoxMorph and PaintBoxColorPicker).

From the list I undertand the main reason classes have been dropped in Pharo image, on the other hand, I think a note in documentation page could either:

a) A note mentioning that for following the book the interested person should use a specific image prepared for that (which the SBE www site point to);

b) Put a list of instructions on how to adapt the directions on the book in order to be able to use the Pharo image successfully.

As older messages make me believe Oscar already is doing something on this lines I don't know still if any further investigation for 'b' above is necessary, however if this can be useful, I can give a look on it!

Regards,

--

Cesar Rabak
GNU/Linux User 52247.

Re: Pharo beta 1.0 and Tutorials/Books directions

Miguel Cobá
El sáb, 08-08-2009 a las 17:51 -0300, [hidden email] escribió:

> Dear folks,
>
> Now Pharo beta 1.0 is out, and since the link
>
> http://www.pharo-project.org/documentation/tutorials-books suggests
> the use of "Squeak By Example" as a first reference, I noticed that a
> person following the book  and using Pharo will not:
>
> 1) Be able to run the SqueakMap example from the Quick Tour;
>
> 2) Be able to create the SBECell (and as consequence build the Quinto
> example) because the image does not have anymore SimpleSwitchMorph
> (used to be in Morphic-Extras, but in Pharo this package has only
> PaintBoxMorph and PaintBoxColorPicker).

There is a new version of the book in the works, aimed to Pharo. By the
moment, I agree with you that a disclaimer should be added and maybe the
first drafts of the book should be uploaded to the site, at least to
review and feedback to the authors.

Re: Pharo beta 1.0 and Tutorials/Books directions

Adrian Lienhard
Thanks for the feedback.
I added a note to the website.

Adrian

On Aug 8, 2009, at 22:59 , Miguel Enrique Cobá Martinez wrote:

> El sáb, 08-08-2009 a las 17:51 -0300, [hidden email] escribió:
>> Dear folks,
>>
>> Now Pharo beta 1.0 is out, and since the link
>>
>> http://www.pharo-project.org/documentation/tutorials-books suggests
>> the use of "Squeak By Example" as a first reference, I noticed that a
>> person following the book  and using Pharo will not:
>>
>> 1) Be able to run the SqueakMap example from the Quick Tour;
>>
>> 2) Be able to create the SBECell (and as consequence build the Quinto
>> example) because the image does not have anymore SimpleSwitchMorph
>> (used to be in Morphic-Extras, but in Pharo this package has only
>> PaintBoxMorph and PaintBoxColorPicker).
>
> There is a new version of the book in the works, aimed to Pharo. By
> the
> moment, I agree with you that a disclaimer should be added and maybe
> the
> first drafts of the book should be uploaded to the site, at least to
> review and feedback to the authors.

Re: Pharo beta 1.0 and Tutorials/Books directions

We hope to have pharo by example for august.

Stef

On Aug 8, 2009, at 10:51 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Dear folks,
>
> Now Pharo beta 1.0 is out, and since the link
>
> http://www.pharo-project.org/documentation/tutorials-books suggests
> the use of "Squeak By Example" as a first reference, I noticed that
> a person following the book  and using Pharo will not:
>
> 1) Be able to run the SqueakMap example from the Quick Tour;
>
> 2) Be able to create the SBECell (and as consequence build the
> Quinto example) because the image does not have anymore
> SimpleSwitchMorph (used to be in Morphic-Extras, but in Pharo this
> package has only PaintBoxMorph and PaintBoxColorPicker).
>
> From the list I undertand the main reason classes have been dropped
> in Pharo image, on the other hand, I think a note in documentation
> page could either:
>
> a) A note mentioning that for following the book the interested
> person should use a specific image prepared for that (which the SBE
> www site point to);
>
> b) Put a list of instructions on how to adapt the directions on the
> book in order to be able to use the Pharo image successfully.
>
> As older messages make me believe Oscar already is doing something
> on this lines I don't know still if any further investigation for
> 'b' above is necessary, however if this can be useful, I can give a
> look on it!
>
> Regards,
>
> --
>
> Cesar Rabak
> GNU/Linux User 52247.
> Get counted: http://counter.li.org/

Re: Pharo beta 1.0 and Tutorials/Books directions

Alexandre Bergel
> There is a new version of the book in the works, aimed to Pharo. By
> the
> moment, I agree with you that a disclaimer should be added and maybe
> the
> first drafts of the book should be uploaded to the site, at least to
> review and feedback to the authors.

Yes, we are currently working on Pharo by Example.  We hope to make a
release soon.

Cheers,
Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu