Pharo booklet collection

Stephane Ducasse-3

Hi Pharoers

You are lucky. The "Pharo booklet collection" edited by S. Ducasse is arriving...

Are you ready to read nice and focused booklets?

You can find at http://files.pharo.org/books/ in beta version:

  • Smacc: the Smalltalk Compiler Compiler by J. Brant, T. Goubier, J. Lecerf and S. Ducasse.
  • Glorp: the Object Relational Mapper framework by E. Maringolo, N. Pratt and R. Withney

All the book material is hosted on https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates so you can contribute! Fix typos and propose new material.

We are planning a booklet on Magritte, Reddit in 10 cool classes, Voyage, and Mocking with BabyMock and Mocketry, XML (but we need a writer) and potentially PetitParser.

If you have material for a tutorial and you would like to be part of the Pharo Booklet Collection contact S. Ducasse.

S. Ducasse

Re: Pharo booklet collection

Esteban A. Maringolo
Correct link seems to be

http://files.pharo.org/books-pdfs/booklet-Glorp/2017-05-02-Glorp.spiral.pdf
Esteban A. Maringolo

> link for glorp gives smacc book error
>
> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 10:25 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Pharoers
>>
>> You are lucky. The "Pharo booklet collection" edited by S. Ducasse is
>> arriving...
>>
>> Are you ready to read nice and focused booklets?
>>
>> You can find at http://files.pharo.org/books/ in beta version:
>>
>> Smacc: the Smalltalk Compiler Compiler by J. Brant, T. Goubier, J. Lecerf
>> and S. Ducasse.
>> Glorp: the Object Relational Mapper framework by E. Maringolo, N. Pratt
>> and R. Withney
>>
>> All the book material is hosted on
>> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates so you can contribute! Fix typos
>> and propose new material.
>>
>> We are planning a booklet on Magritte, Reddit in 10 cool classes, Voyage,
>> and Mocking with BabyMock and Mocketry, XML (but we need a writer) and
>> potentially PetitParser.
>>
>> If you have material for a tutorial and you would like to be part of the
>> Pharo Booklet Collection contact S. Ducasse.
>>
>> S. Ducasse

Re: Pharo booklet collection

Stephane Ducasse-3
I fixed it.
The code for the web site in on github.

Stef

On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 10:32 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Correct link seems to be

http://files.pharo.org/books-pdfs/booklet-Glorp/2017-05-02-Glorp.spiral.pdf
Esteban A. Maringolo

> link for glorp gives smacc book error
>
> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 10:25 PM, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Pharoers
>>
>> You are lucky. The "Pharo booklet collection" edited by S. Ducasse is
>> arriving...
>>
>> Are you ready to read nice and focused booklets?
>>
>> You can find at http://files.pharo.org/books/ in beta version:
>>
>> Smacc: the Smalltalk Compiler Compiler by J. Brant, T. Goubier, J. Lecerf
>> and S. Ducasse.
>> Glorp: the Object Relational Mapper framework by E. Maringolo, N. Pratt
>> and R. Withney
>>
>> All the book material is hosted on
>> https://github.com/SquareBracketAssociates so you can contribute! Fix typos
>> and propose new material.
>>
>> We are planning a booklet on Magritte, Reddit in 10 cool classes, Voyage,
>> and Mocking with BabyMock and Mocketry, XML (but we need a writer) and
>> potentially PetitParser.
>>
>> If you have material for a tutorial and you would like to be part of the
>> Pharo Booklet Collection contact S. Ducasse.
>>
>> S. Ducasse

Re: Pharo booklet collection

philippeback
For books, there is the docker-texlive thing from Damien that we
looked into yesterday because TexLive was giving some headaches.

https://github.com/philippeback/docker-texlive

has my current thing for one to build a container with all
prerequisites for TexLive and Pharo installed.

Idea is to clone the book repo on the host and get into an container
to build the book.

There is a /work volume that can be mapped onto the host with the
docker run's -v command.

Then just use ./download.sh in there to install Pharo and pillar in
the container. Do not do that in the host or you'll end up with wrong
versions (like my host is CentOS and the container is Ubuntu, even
worse with host is macOS or Windows).

Then "make book" should give a book in build/
There is a "make wipeout" command that obliterates the build folder
for good so you can start clean. No harm done on your files.

Will document more of this but woul dbe nice if someone could check
this out too.

There is a script in base/ to build the docker image.

Phil

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 9:20 AM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I fixed it.
> The code for the web site in on github.
>
> Stef
>
> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 10:32 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Correct link seems to be
>>

>> http://files.pharo.org/books-pdfs/booklet-Glorp/2017-05-02-Glorp.spiral.pdf
>> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> > link for glorp gives smacc book error
>> >
>> > On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 10:25 PM, Stephane Ducasse
>> > <[hidden email]>

Re: Pharo booklet collection

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi phil

yes I loved this idea. We got burned by that too.

About pillar. The departure of Damien was not expected and it slows us quite a bit.

We (mainly me helped with maxime) are working on
- making the pillar core nicer
- less dependencies
- and with a small in image renderer :) We had fun with guille

- In the pharo 60 version I started to clean the command-line.
- merged many unmerged changes.

But even with all the tests it is not easy....
I'm testing in addition with reall
- book production
- slides
- html

But it takes time and energy. I'm trying to remove the dependencies to magritte for example.

Stef

Inline image 1

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I fixed it.
> The code for the web site in on github.
>
> Stef
>
> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 10:32 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Correct link seems to be
>>

>> http://files.pharo.org/books-pdfs/booklet-Glorp/2017-05-02-Glorp.spiral.pdf
>> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> > link for glorp gives smacc book error
>> >
>> > On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 10:25 PM, Stephane Ducasse
>> > <[hidden email]>

Re: Pharo booklet collection

Tim Mackinnon
Hi - so I forked a repo (the Reddit one), and am reading through it to check for typos (I’ve see a few). Obviously I can correct those, but how do I actually preview my changes to ensure I haven’t screwed it all up?

I’m guessing I need to install Docker and pull down a specific image - which I can then use to generate the output to test it? Or, is there an ST image that I can run on this directory?

As a quick scan of whats in a book repo - it all looks a bit more complicated than I expected - with make files and what look like “inplace templates” (as in format1.format2.format3 etc). Having played around with Metalsmith.io I think its sort of similar, but It seems like there is more to learn somehow?

Tim

On 6 May 2017, at 11:36, Stephane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi phil

yes I loved this idea. We got burned by that too.

About pillar. The departure of Damien was not expected and it slows us quite a bit.

We (mainly me helped with maxime) are working on
- making the pillar core nicer
- less dependencies
- and with a small in image renderer :) We had fun with guille

- In the pharo 60 version I started to clean the command-line.
- merged many unmerged changes.

But even with all the tests it is not easy....
I'm testing in addition with reall
- book production
- slides
- html

But it takes time and energy. I'm trying to remove the dependencies to magritte for example.

Stef

<Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 12.33.18.png>

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I fixed it.
> The code for the web site in on github.
>
> Stef
>
> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 10:32 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Correct link seems to be
>>

>> http://files.pharo.org/books-pdfs/booklet-Glorp/2017-05-02-Glorp.spiral.pdf
>> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> > link for glorp gives smacc book error
>> >
>> > On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 10:25 PM, Stephane Ducasse
>> > <[hidden email]>

Re: Pharo booklet collection

Damien Pollet
Check the travis configuration file. It has the docker invocation that will get the correct image and build the booklet.

You can also build without docker but that requires an up-to-date TeXlive 2016 (unfortunately we rely on some fixes that are not in the installation iso, so you'd have to either use the net installer or do `tlmgr update --self --all` after installing the iso snapshot)

Damien Pollet

Re: Pharo booklet collection

Tim Mackinnon
Thanks Damien - installing docker now, and I’ll see how I get on (I’m still working through the reddit booklet - which is proving quite fun)

Tim

--
Damien Pollet

Re: Pharo booklet collection

Tim Mackinnon
I have submitted a pull request for the Reddit booklet - I didn’t get a chance to try the docker image to see the results (I will get up to speed with that) - but I didn’t want to have a branch out for too long.

Its my first try at this (I liked the tutorial, it taught me a lot), and I wasn’t sure how much to change in the text (and I certainly don’t want to upset any previous authors - as its very readable in its present form).

Tim

On 23 May 2017, at 18:34, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi tim

you can follow the pillar chapter in entreprise book.
Now to produce pdf you have to install latex so I would not worry and do the pull request.
I will set up a jenkins job for each of the booklet so that people do not have to install latex.

Stef

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I fixed it.
> The code for the web site in on github.
>
> Stef
>
> On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 10:32 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Correct link seems to be
>>

>> http://files.pharo.org/books-pdfs/booklet-Glorp/2017-05-02-Glorp.spiral.pdf
>> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> > link for glorp gives smacc book error
>> >
>> > On Tue, May 2, 2017 at 10:25 PM, Stephane Ducasse
>> > <[hidden email]>

03 59 35 87 52
Assistant: Julie Jonas
FAX 03 59 57 78 50
TEL 03 59 35 86 16
S. Ducasse - Inria
40, avenue Halley,
Villeneuve d'Ascq 59650
France

Re: Pharo booklet collection

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks damien I will duplicate this script to all the booklets repo.
My plan is to have also a jenkins job for each of them.

--
Damien Pollet