Pharo by Example

12

Re: Pharo by Example

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes it would be great!

> Gerry Weaver wrote
>>
>> I guess I don't know what I'm supposed to load the image into. I've tried
>> the VM downloads on the site, but they all crash when trying to open the
>> image. Is there a particular VM I need to use with the image at the link
>> you provided?
>>

> Can/should the PBE image be repackaged as a one-click until the new version
> of the book is released? I'm assuming it's a pre-Cog image, which may be why
> it's crashing. This must be a common access point and it seems like a lot to
> ask for someone to find this image and then go around looking for a
> compatible VM.
>
> Sean

Re: Pharo by Example

Guillermo Polito
Isn't it already under the name:

PBE Image 1.0 French

?

I'm downloading it right now to test if it is :).

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes it would be great!

> Gerry Weaver wrote
>>
>> I guess I don't know what I'm supposed to load the image into. I've tried
>> the VM downloads on the site, but they all crash when trying to open the
>> image. Is there a particular VM I need to use with the image at the link
>> you provided?
>>

> Can/should the PBE image be repackaged as a one-click until the new version
> of the book is released? I'm assuming it's a pre-Cog image, which may be why
> it's crashing. This must be a common access point and it seems like a lot to
> ask for someone to find this image and then go around looking for a
> compatible VM.
>
> Sean

Re: Pharo by Example

Guillermo Polito
Yes, it seems it is, but the welcome workspace is in french :).

Bienvenue!

Voici le programme PBE-1.0-OneClick de Pharo Par l'Exemple.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
Isn't it already under the name:

PBE Image 1.0 French

?

I'm downloading it right now to test if it is :).

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes it would be great!

> Gerry Weaver wrote
>>
>> I guess I don't know what I'm supposed to load the image into. I've tried
>> the VM downloads on the site, but they all crash when trying to open the
>> image. Is there a particular VM I need to use with the image at the link
>> you provided?
>>

> Can/should the PBE image be repackaged as a one-click until the new version
> of the book is released? I'm assuming it's a pre-Cog image, which may be why
> it's crashing. This must be a common access point and it seems like a lot to
> ask for someone to find this image and then go around looking for a
> compatible VM.
>
> Sean

Re: Pharo by Example

SergeStinckwich
Yes for the french edition of Pharo by example, we have done a special one click image. We have also done modifications in the book. I guess these modifications can be done also on the english version.

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 6 janv. 2012 à 03:10, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Yes, it seems it is, but the welcome workspace is in french :).

Bienvenue!

Voici le programme PBE-1.0-OneClick de Pharo Par l'Exemple.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM, Guillermo Polito <[hidden email]> wrote:
Isn't it already under the name:

PBE Image 1.0 French

?

I'm downloading it right now to test if it is :).

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes it would be great!

> Gerry Weaver wrote
>>
>> I guess I don't know what I'm supposed to load the image into. I've tried
>> the VM downloads on the site, but they all crash when trying to open the
>> image. Is there a particular VM I need to use with the image at the link
>> you provided?
>>

> Can/should the PBE image be repackaged as a one-click until the new version
> of the book is released? I'm assuming it's a pre-Cog image, which may be why
> it's crashing. This must be a common access point and it seems like a lot to
> ask for someone to find this image and then go around looking for a
> compatible VM.
>
> Sean

Re: Pharo by Example

Michael Roberts-2
It is hopefully explained somewhere in a book....

It is more complex than needed by history. Here is what I roughly understand:

Categories are the original mechanism to group classes together. The browser shows this as the left most pane and there are tools to allow you to reorganise it as you want. The category is just a string associated with the class (or the class' organiser).

All code originally lived in the ST80 (or early squeak) image. You could move it around externally by filing it out either into a .st file or change set .cs file.  Class and method definitions in this chunk format are quite flexible and specify the changes that should be made on file-in. You are not constrained to move whole classes or whole class categories around.

The history of Smalltalk source control is varied. Various projects map image representation of classes onto file
based representation in CVS, SVN and so on.

Packages in general mean the mapping of a subset of the image onto an external source control construct. I.e. a modularisation of the image that can be shared in a distributed developer environment.

Various Smalltalks do this in various ways. The dominant squeak derived system is Monticello.  A class category can be mapped onto a Monticello package. Monticello defines a file format which is the physical representation of the package. It provides tools to manage these packages. Part of the complexity currently is that you are not forced to have the system cleanly separated into packages. You can leave bits of the system unpackaged and you currently have to bootstrap (at some point in history) the source management (package) system into an image based on categories. Since there is an overlap of design concerns and implementations it is not obvious what tools or file formats do what.

In general in Pharo there is a desire to move towards a more modular system. There is a desire to cleanly bootstrap this system from some kernel specification. Ideally we would then have a namespace implementation that allowed us to isolate and load conflicting code. We also need package dependency management and do on.

You will see references to these goals and discussions on all these topics from time to time. Some of these are implemented, some of these are deprecated, and the wish list is long.

You wouldn't really start out fresh with the combination of concepts and implementations we currently have in Pharo.

Not sure what collections are in this context.

Hope that helps
Mike

12