Pharo by Example

12

Pharo by Example

sigipa
Hello All,

I'm new to Pharo and SmallTalk. I am trying to follow "Pharo by Example", but my Pharo browser is not the same. I tried to follow the FAQ about how to fix that, but the drop down menu doesn't look the same either. Should I be using a different version of Pharo? I'm using 1.3.

Thanks,
Gerry

Re: Pharo by Example

SergeStinckwich
2012/1/5 Gerry Weaver <[hidden email]>:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm new to Pharo and SmallTalk. I am trying to follow "Pharo by Example",
> but my Pharo browser is not the same. I tried to follow the FAQ about how to
> fix that, but the drop down menu doesn't look the same either. Should I be
> using a different version of Pharo? I'm using 1.3.

Hi Gerry,

Yes the last version of Pharo By Example use a specific version (close
to Pharo 1.0).
You can download this version here:
https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27023/PBE-1.0.zip

Maybe you can start this version and switch to a more recent version
when you feel more confident with the IDE.

Regards,

PS: BTW, this is Smalltalk not SmallTalk.
--
Serge Stinckwich
Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Pharo by Example

sigipa
Hi Serge,

Wow! Thanks for the speedy reply. I will do as you suggest.

Thanks,
Gerry

> > I'm new to Pharo and SmallTalk. I am trying to follow "Pharo by Example",
> > but my Pharo browser is not the same. I tried to follow the FAQ about how to
> > fix that, but the drop down menu doesn't look the same either. Should I be
> > using a different version of Pharo? I'm using 1.3.
>
> Hi Gerry,
>
> Yes the last version of Pharo By Example use a specific version (close
> to Pharo 1.0).
> You can download this version here:
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27023/PBE-1.0.zip
>
> Maybe you can start this version and switch to a more recent version
> when you feel more confident with the IDE.
>
> Regards,
>
> PS: BTW, this is Smalltalk not SmallTalk.
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)
> http://www.mechatronics.me.kyoto-u.ac.jp/
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Pharo by Example

sigipa
Hi,

I've been trying various downloads, but I haven't found anything that works. I guess I may be making it harder than it needs to be, but I really have no idea how to proceed. I've been trying to find some doc on basic things like creating a package, class, etc., but I'm not having much luck. I assume the docs will be updated at some point. Would anyone have a feel for when that might be? I'm not in a hurry at all, so I could wait for a couple of more versions.

Thanks,
Gerry

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Gerry Weaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been trying various downloads, but I haven't found anything that works. I guess I may be making it harder than it needs to be, but I really have no idea how to proceed. I've been trying to find some doc on basic things like creating a package, class, etc., but I'm not having much luck. I assume the docs will be updated at some point. Would anyone have a feel for when that might be? I'm not in a hurry at all, so I could wait for a couple of more versions.

Could give us more information about what is not working exactly ?
Did you upload the file here:
https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27023/PBE-1.0.zip
and try the exemple in the book ?

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)
http://www.mechatronics.me.kyoto-u.ac.jp/
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Pharo by Example

sigipa
Hi Serge,

I guess I don't know what I'm supposed to load the image into. I've tried the VM downloads on the site, but they all crash when trying to open the image. Is there a particular VM I need to use with the image at the link you provided?

I should probably mention that I would really be more interested in some basic IDE doc on the latest version at this point. I don't have any issue with the language. It's the IDE workflow that is very unclear to me. I've been reading a lot, but it isn't helping me so far. I starting to think that Pharo is somewhat inaccessible to newbies at this point. Perhaps I should start with something else first?. What I mean is an implementation that isn't changing so rapidly. I would sincerely appreciate any advice you could give me on that.

Thanks,
Gerry

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Gerry Weaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been trying various downloads, but I haven't found anything that works. I guess I may be making it harder than it needs to be, but I really have no idea how to proceed. I've been trying to find some doc on basic things like creating a package, class, etc., but I'm not having much luck. I assume the docs will be updated at some point. Would anyone have a feel for when that might be? I'm not in a hurry at all, so I could wait for a couple of more versions.
>
> Could give us more information about what is not working exactly ?
> Did you upload the file here:
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27023/PBE-1.0.zip
> and try the exemple in the book ?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)
> http://www.mechatronics.me.kyoto-u.ac.jp/
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Pharo by Example

sigipa

Perhaps I should just take a shot at explaining what I'm having trouble understanding.

My current take on the environment is that an image is basically a container that holds everything in the application. In development mode it also includes the IDE and tools. I assume one would typically start by defining a class that was a subclass of some system or package class. I assume this process would continue until the application logic and data were defined. I also assume that there must be a way to indicate the class that represents the top level or entry point (main) of the application. That appears to be the init method. Is this anywhere close to being correct?

The problem is that I'm not sure how to get started. I have played around with the system browser a bit. I can see that you would create a category and be presented with what looks to be a template for a class. I'm confused about the fact that the "Pharo by Example" has me creating a package when I don't see that in the 1.3 browser. I also don't know how to create additional classes in that category or how to tell the environment which class is my application entry point. I figure maybe the answer to all of this is a little too much for a mailing list question, which is why I didn't start out asking this. Anyway, at least this gives you an idea of where I'm stuck. Maybe my brain just isn't wired to understand something that may be obvious to others.

Thanks,
Gerry

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM, Gerry Weaver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been trying various downloads, but I haven't found anything that works. I guess I may be making it harder than it needs to be, but I really have no idea how to proceed. I've been trying to find some doc on basic things like creating a package, class, etc., but I'm not having much luck. I assume the docs will be updated at some point. Would anyone have a feel for when that might be? I'm not in a hurry at all, so I could wait for a couple of more versions.
>
> Could give us more information about what is not working exactly ?
> Did you upload the file here:
> https://gforge.inria.fr/frs/download.php/27023/PBE-1.0.zip
> and try the exemple in the book ?
>
> Regards,
> --
> Serge Stinckwich
> UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC), Hanoi, Vietnam
> Matsuno Laboratory, Kyoto University, Japan (until 12/2011)
> http://www.mechatronics.me.kyoto-u.ac.jp/
> Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
> http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Pharo by Example

Max Leske
Hi Gerry

From your talk of application entry points it seems to me that you might be talking about web development with Pharo. In that case PharoByExample won't help you much.
Maybe, if you could tell us what you are trying to accomplish, we would be able to help you better. Right now, at least to me, it is not clear why you are having troubles. I've learnt Smalltalk with PBE and Pharo and found everything to be fairly straight forward and clearly explained.

As for the #init method, the only one I can find belongs to the ParseStack object. That is definitely not what you want. What might be confusing you is that you don't "execute" a binary like you would in other cases. Pharo is not only an IDE but it is also the runtime environment.

It just occurred to me, that you might be looking for something like: "if i double click on the image I want my application X to be launched in the image". That can certainly be done but is not the usual way. More often, you will save the image with the "start UI" of your application opened, so that when a user opens the image he will see one window with your application.

You also might want to check out the Pharo Screencasts (http://www.pharo-project.org/documentation/screencasts), you might see something there that helps you to better understand Pharo. However, from what I have experienced I suggest that you just work through PBE and see if your questions persist.

Cheers,
Max

On 05.01.2012, at 06:50, Gerry Weaver wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Perhaps I should just take a shot at explaining what I'm having trouble understanding.
>

> My current take on the environment is that an image is basically a container that holds everything in the application. In development mode it also includes the IDE and tools. I assume one would typically start by defining a class that was a subclass of some system or package class. I assume this process would continue until the application logic and data were defined. I also assume that there must be a way to indicate the class that represents the top level or entry point (main) of the application. That appears to be the init method. Is this anywhere close to being correct?
>

> The problem is that I'm not sure how to get started. I have played around with the system browser a bit. I can see that you would create a category and be presented with what looks to be a template for a class. I'm confused about the fact that the "Pharo by Example" has me creating a package when I don't see that in the 1.3 browser. I also don't know how to create additional classes in that category or how to tell the environment which class is my application entry point. I figure maybe the answer to all of this is a little too much for a mailing list question, which is why I didn't start out asking this. Anyway, at least this gives you an idea of where I'm stuck. Maybe my brain just isn't wired to understand something that may be obvious to others.
>

> Thanks,
> Gerry

Michael Roberts-2

On 5 Jan 2012, at 05:50, "Gerry Weaver" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Perhaps I should just take a shot at explaining what I'm having trouble understanding.
>

> My current take on the environment is that an image is basically a container that holds everything in the application.

Indeed.

> In development mode it also includes the IDE and tools.

For general Pharo images there is no "mode". They all contain some set of development tools. To remove them you have to go to some effort (stripping) or find a smaller seed image that does not contain them (expert).

> I assume one would typically start by defining a class that was a subclass of some system or package class.

You could start with Object.

> I assume this process would continue until the application logic and data were defined.

Yes

> I also assume that there must be a way to indicate the class that represents the top level or entry point (main) of the application.

Not really. There is no main() as there is in C. There is an entry point for the whole system and this triggers the start of the UI and other services. If you want your application to start on system start you need to register it on the startup list (or whatever the current abstraction is.)

For development you can register the start on a world menu or just use a workspace to evaluate the starting expression.

> That appears to be the init method. Is this anywhere close to being correct?
>

> The problem is that I'm not sure how to get started. I have played around with the system browser a bit. I can see that you would create a category and be presented with what looks to be a template for a class. I'm confused about the fact that the "Pharo by Example" has me creating a package when I don't see that in the 1.3 browser.

So for PBE you have to run the exact image the book was targeted for and the examples should work.

> I also don't know how to create additional classes in that category or how to tell the environment which class is my application entry point. I figure maybe the answer to all of this is a little too much for a mailing list question, which is why I didn't start out asking this. Anyway, at least this gives you an idea of where I'm stuck. Maybe my brain just isn't wired to understand something that may be obvious to others.

So for the standard/original system browser I would do the following. In the left most pane you can context click and create a new category 'example'. You get shown a class template in the bottom pane that is an expression to make a class. Type the name of the subclass e.g. ExampleClass into the text where it says NameOfSubclass and context click accept. This makes the new class. On the class side (the button class) define a method go. To do this you need the method template. Normally you get this selecting one of the method protocols. You can replace the method template with something like

go
     FillInTheBlankMorph request: 'hello'

And context click accept. Now open a workspace. Evaluate

ExampleClass go

It should pop up a dialog. That's really it. The "application" runs and then stops.

To make more classes click on the class category again. Type a new class name on and accept it. The new class should appear alongside the other one and you can add methods to it.

Hope that helps.
Mike

> Thanks,
> Gerry

Hi Max,

Okay thanks. I think I get the startup scenario now.

I come from the other end of the world in terms of software development (kernel, C, command line, etc.). I guess the part that's giving me a hard time is really the IDE workflow. I want to start writing code, but I feel kind of like I'm trying to build a ship in a bottle. What I would expect is that I would create some kind of project spec and add my code to that, but instead I'm finding this rather strange path. I assume that it's all about defining classes, but I'm having trouble figuring out where and how to do that. For example, is an application a category or is it just a way to group like functionality? Collections look like they are a tool for organizing code? Anyway, I'm going to keep plugging away at it. I kind of hoping maybe Visualworks will fill in some of the blanks.

I recently left my job as a full time developer. There are several projects that I've been thinking about over the last few years. Since I am now a force of one, I'm looking for a higher level (hopefully more productive) language to code in.  One of the things that attracted me to Smalltalk was the concept of the image and something called "Opentalk". Most of the applications I have in mind would be distributed in nature. However, a web interface wouldn't be completely out of the question. The FFI is also something that will be critical for me. I have quite a bit of C code that I will want to make use of.

I have watched several of the screencasts, but they seem to leave out the part that I am having trouble with. I am still actively searching though.

> [...]

> > The problem is that I'm not sure how to get started. I have played around with the system browser a bit. I can see that you would create a category and be presented with what looks to be a template for a class. I'm confused about the fact that the "Pharo by Example" has me creating a package when I don't see that in the 1.3 browser. I also don't know how to create additional classes in that category or how to tell the environment which class is my application entry point. I figure maybe the answer to all of this is a little too much for a mailing list question, which is why I didn't start out asking this. Anyway, at least this gives you an idea of where I'm stuck. Maybe my brain just isn't wired to understand something that may be obvious to others.

Hi Michael,

Well... that actually makes good sense (maybe  the terminology is my issue). I think I've written C code for so long that I get too bogged down in the details. So, what exactly is a category vs a collection vs a package?. I seems like a category is just a mechanism for organizing code?. I guess a package would be like a Lisp module or C library? What about collections?

Thanks for your help. It really did help.
Gerry

> [...]
>
> go
>      FillInTheBlankMorph request: 'hello'
>
> And context click accept. Now open a workspace. Evaluate
>
> ExampleClass go
>
> It should pop up a dialog. That's really it. The "application" runs and then stops.
>
> To make more classes click on the class category again. Type a new class name on and accept it. The new class should appear alongside the other one and you can add methods to it.

I'll try to give you a scenario for a simple project:
  1. Click on any class in the browser. You will see the class definition that will look somewhat like this (I replaced actual names with placeholders):
    <superclass> subclass: #<name of your class>
         instanceVariableNames: '<instVar1> <instVar2>'
         classVariableNames: ''
         poolDictionaries: ''
         category: '<name of your project category>'
  2. For this example let's use this:
    Object subclass: #MyCalculator
         instanceVariableNames: ''
         classVariableNames: ''
         poolDictionaries: ''
         category: 'GCal'
  3. Once you have the class definition you want, hit ctrl+s (or cdm+s on Mac) and the browser will show you your new category in the leftmost panel, containing your new class MyCalculator which is a subclass of Object.
  4. Go to the third panel from the left. This panel contains "protocols" (method categories). You will see something like "no messages". Click on that label and you will be presented with a method template.
  5. Your first method:
    add: aMoney to: anotherMoney
        ^ aMoney + anotherMoney
  6. Again, hit ctrl+s once your finished. Now of course we'll need a money class that understands the #+ selector:
    Object subclass: #Money
         instanceVariableNames: 'value'
         classVariableNames: ''
         poolDictionaries: ''
         category: 'GCal'
  7. Define the message #+ for the class Money:
    + aMoney
         ^ self value + aMoney value
  8. And define the method value:
    value
        ^ value
  9. Once you save the method #value you'll be asked if you want 'value' to be an instance variable or a temporary variable. Make it an instance variable.
  10. In the browser below the panel with the classes, click on 'class' to see "class side" methods and define the method #value: :
    value: aNumber
        ^ self new
            initializeWith: aNumber;
            yourself
    initializeWith: aNumber
        value := aNumber
  12. Open the world menu and open a workspace
  13. Type this in the workspace:
    MyCalculator new add: (Money value: 30) to: (Money value: 20)
  14. hit ctrl+p to print the result (hopefully 50, I haven't tested the example :) )

You would follow the same steps to enhance your application further. Now you should take a look at Monticello to learn how to manage versions of your application.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers,
Max

On 05.01.2012, at 09:26, Gerry Weaver wrote:

[...]

Okay now I'm busy feeling pretty stupid. I sincerely appreciate your (everyone's) help and patience with me. I'm pretty sure I'm all finished being retarded now. I'm going to try not to bother y'all again until I have much better (harder) questions :p

Many thanks Max and many thanks to you all,
Gerry

Re: Pharo by Example

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Gerry Weaver wrote
I guess I don't know what I'm supposed to load the image into. I've tried the VM downloads on the site, but they all crash when trying to open the image. Is there a particular VM I need to use with the image at the link you provided?
Can/should the PBE image be repackaged as a one-click until the new version of the book is released? I'm assuming it's a pre-Cog image, which may be why it's crashing. This must be a common access point and it seems like a lot to ask for someone to find this image and then go around looking for a compatible VM.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo by Example

Ben Coman
Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Gerry Weaver wrote
>
>> I guess I don't know what I'm supposed to load the image into. I've tried
>> the VM downloads on the site, but they all crash when trying to open the
>> image. Is there a particular VM I need to use with the image at the link
>> you provided?
>>

> Can/should the PBE image be repackaged as a one-click until the new version
> of the book is released? I'm assuming it's a pre-Cog image, which may be why
> it's crashing. This must be a common access point and it seems like a lot to
> ask for someone to find this image and then go around looking for a
> compatible VM.

+1
Pharo By Example is a very attractive starting point to someone that
knows "absolutely nothing" about Smalltalk.
It would be beneficial to have a OneClick download including image and
VM matching the version used for the book would be of great benefit.

Re: Pharo by Example

Ben Coman
Gerry Weaver wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm new to Pharo and SmallTalk. I am trying to follow "Pharo by Example", but my Pharo browser is not the same. I tried to follow the FAQ about how to fix that, but the drop down menu doesn't look the same either. Should I be using a different version of Pharo? I'm using 1.3.
>
> Thanks,
> Gerry

Gerry,

One of my first experiences learning Squeak/Pharo (Pharo is a fork of
Squeak) was doing the "Laser Game - A Development Example for Squeak
3.9" tutorial [1].  I found it really great seeing the start-to-end
building of an application and I think you would find it most useful.

 > I come from the other end of the world in terms of software
development (kernel, C, command line, etc.)Sounds like

It sounds like you may also be new to object oriented programming.  In
that case I suggest that Smalltalk what you need right now.  Even though
other language have object-oriented features, many are "hybrid"
languages and it is hard to unlearn your previous non-object-oriented
habits.  Smalltalk helps you THINK object oriented and will be a great
benefit even if you end up with another language.

Try these steps...
1. Depending on your platform, download file [2] for Windows, [3] for
Mac or [4] for Linux.  ( Note, I have only used the Windows one)
2. Unzip and run the Squeak executable.
3. Do the tutorial [1]

[1] http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/index.html
[2] http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/win/Squeak3.9-win32.zip
[3] http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/mac/Squeak3.9-7067mac.zip
[4] http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/unix-linux/Squeak3.9-final-7067.zip

cheers, Ben

Re: Pharo by Example

sigipa
Hi Ben,

I appreciate your suggestions. I'm actually doing okay now. I was just having some issues understanding the IDE. It's very different than anything I've ever used before. I do have some experience with C++, Objective-c, and Object Pascal though.

Thanks,
Gerry

> > I'm new to Pharo and SmallTalk. I am trying to follow "Pharo by Example", but my Pharo browser is not the same. I tried to follow the FAQ about how to fix that, but the drop down menu doesn't look the same either. Should I be using a different version of Pharo? I'm using 1.3.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Gerry
> >
> Gerry,
>
> One of my first experiences learning Squeak/Pharo (Pharo is a fork of
> Squeak) was doing the "Laser Game - A Development Example for Squeak
> 3.9" tutorial [1].  I found it really great seeing the start-to-end
> building of an application and I think you would find it most useful.
>
>  > I come from the other end of the world in terms of software
> development (kernel, C, command line, etc.)Sounds like
>
> It sounds like you may also be new to object oriented programming.  In
> that case I suggest that Smalltalk what you need right now.  Even though
> other language have object-oriented features, many are "hybrid"
> languages and it is hard to unlearn your previous non-object-oriented
> habits.  Smalltalk helps you THINK object oriented and will be a great
> benefit even if you end up with another language.
>
> Try these steps...
> 1. Depending on your platform, download file [2] for Windows, [3] for
> Mac or [4] for Linux.  ( Note, I have only used the Windows one)
> 2. Unzip and run the Squeak executable.
> 3. Do the tutorial [1]
>
> [1] http://squeak.preeminent.org/tut2007/html/index.html
> [2] http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/win/Squeak3.9-win32.zip
> [3] http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/mac/Squeak3.9-7067mac.zip
> [4] http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/unix-linux/Squeak3.9-final-7067.zip
>
> cheers, Ben

Re: Pharo by Example

> Hi Max,
>
> Okay thanks. I think I get the startup scenario now.
>

> I come from the other end of the world in terms of software development (kernel, C, command line, etc.). I guess the part that's giving me a hard time is really the IDE workflow. I want to start writing code, but I feel kind of like I'm trying to build a ship in a bottle. What I would expect is that I would create some kind of project spec and add my code to that, but instead I'm finding this rather strange path. I assume that it's all about defining classes, but I'm having trouble figuring out where and how to do that. For example, is an application a category or is it just a way to group like functionality? Collections look like they are a tool for organizing code? Anyway, I'm going to keep plugging away at it. I kind of hoping maybe Visualworks will fill in some of the blanks.
>

> I recently left my job as a full time developer. There are several projects that I've been thinking about over the last few years. Since I am now a force of one, I'm looking for a higher level (hopefully more productive) language to code in.  One of the things that attracted me to Smalltalk was the concept of the image and something called "Opentalk". Most of the applications I have in mind would be distributed in nature. However, a web interface wouldn't be completely out of the question. The FFI is also something that will be critical for me. I have quite a bit of C code that I will want to make use of.

you have native boost for calling them and native boost is cool. We should finish the documentation :(

> I have watched several of the screencasts, but they seem to leave out the part that I am having trouble with. I am still actively searching though.
>

> Thanks,
> Gerry

Do not hesitate to ask questions!
Smalltalk is different.

And Pharo is not as cool as I would love it to be. But this is like that.
I would like also it to be better. We are step by step getting there.
I would like to have a small kernel that we can embed anywhere and that can talk to anything outside
and a powerful set of tools and frameworks to load. We have nearly everything but some more work to do
to get the full picture.

Stef