[Pharo-dev] CameraPlugin for (Pharo) VM

Torsten Bergmann
We once had a discussion already, to summarize:
 - the camera plugin from scratch worked according to Bernat Romagosa [1]
 - Stef checked the scratch license and said this license is not MIT so he do not want to see it in Pharo [2] [3]

We didnt move on with this since we thought it is covered by Scratch license or since nobody really cared.

But it looks like the Camera stuff is indeed released with MIT license (even before the discussion)
I just found by accident this old issue:

 http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7654

<quotes>
"two plugins that should be made available for standard VMs"

"Per communication from Bert Freudenberg, source for CameraPlugin is
 now available under MIT license:"

"Here is the CameraPlugin code under MIT license."
</quote>

Acccording to this issue the camera code was opened with MIT. The issue also includes the code.

Can we check again - default support for camera would be a nice addition
to our Pharo universe.

Thx
T.

[1] http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2011-July/051826.html
[2] http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2011-July/051838.html
[3] http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2011-July/051843.html

Re: [Pharo-dev] CameraPlugin for (Pharo) VM

Igor Stasenko
On 17 July 2013 15:30, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We once had a discussion already, to summarize:
>  - the camera plugin from scratch worked according to Bernat Romagosa [1]
>  - Stef checked the scratch license and said this license is not MIT so he do not want to see it in Pharo [2] [3]
>
> We didnt move on with this since we thought it is covered by Scratch license or since nobody really cared.
>
> But it looks like the Camera stuff is indeed released with MIT license (even before the discussion)
> I just found by accident this old issue:
>
>  http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7654
>
> <quotes>
> "two plugins that should be made available for standard VMs"
>
> "Per communication from Bert Freudenberg, source for CameraPlugin is
>  now available under MIT license:"
>
> "Here is the CameraPlugin code under MIT license."
> </quote>
>
> Acccording to this issue the camera code was opened with MIT. The issue also includes the code.
>
> Can we check again - default support for camera would be a nice addition
> to our Pharo universe.

If we include that plugin into VM, then there should be someone , who
will take responsibility for maintaining and improving it.

And that means:
 - making sure it works on all 3 major platforms (at least) and not
breaks with new version(s) releases
 - updates the code, improves it etc
- keep image-side code in good shape covered by tests and updated
regularly , as Pharo make progress
- have a good documentation

any volunteers?
I could, but i can't , because i already have multiple projects to
care about. And i am close to limits of personal physical capabilities
to keep things up.

I didn't wanted to discourage anyone, but just wanted to remind that
'including into pharo' means a lot more than 'copying files there',
otherwise it is not 'including', but planting timebomb which will
explode eventually.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [Pharo-dev] CameraPlugin for (Pharo) VM

EstebanLM

On Jul 17, 2013, at 3:51 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17 July 2013 15:30, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We once had a discussion already, to summarize:
>> - the camera plugin from scratch worked according to Bernat Romagosa [1]
>> - Stef checked the scratch license and said this license is not MIT so he do not want to see it in Pharo [2] [3]
>>
>> We didnt move on with this since we thought it is covered by Scratch license or since nobody really cared.
>>
>> But it looks like the Camera stuff is indeed released with MIT license (even before the discussion)
>> I just found by accident this old issue:
>>
>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7654
>>
>> <quotes>
>> "two plugins that should be made available for standard VMs"
>>
>> "Per communication from Bert Freudenberg, source for CameraPlugin is
>> now available under MIT license:"
>>
>> "Here is the CameraPlugin code under MIT license."
>> </quote>
>>
>> Acccording to this issue the camera code was opened with MIT. The issue also includes the code.
>>
>> Can we check again - default support for camera would be a nice addition
>> to our Pharo universe.
>>

> If we include that plugin into VM, then there should be someone , who
> will take responsibility for maintaining and improving it.
>
> And that means:
> - making sure it works on all 3 major platforms (at least) and not
> breaks with new version(s) releases
> - updates the code, improves it etc
> - keep image-side code in good shape covered by tests and updated
> regularly , as Pharo make progress
> - have a good documentation
>
> any volunteers?
> I could, but i can't , because i already have multiple projects to
> care about. And i am close to limits of personal physical capabilities
> to keep things up.
>
> I didn't wanted to discourage anyone, but just wanted to remind that
> 'including into pharo' means a lot more than 'copying files there',
> otherwise it is not 'including', but planting timebomb which will
> explode eventually.

amen

Re: [Pharo-dev] CameraPlugin for (Pharo) VM

Marcus Denker-4

On Jul 17, 2013, at 3:51 PM, Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 17 July 2013 15:30, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> We once had a discussion already, to summarize:
>> - the camera plugin from scratch worked according to Bernat Romagosa [1]
>> - Stef checked the scratch license and said this license is not MIT so he do not want to see it in Pharo [2] [3]
>>
>> We didnt move on with this since we thought it is covered by Scratch license or since nobody really cared.
>>
>> But it looks like the Camera stuff is indeed released with MIT license (even before the discussion)
>> I just found by accident this old issue:
>>
>> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7654
>>
>> <quotes>
>> "two plugins that should be made available for standard VMs"
>>
>> "Per communication from Bert Freudenberg, source for CameraPlugin is
>> now available under MIT license:"
>>
>> "Here is the CameraPlugin code under MIT license."
>> </quote>
>>
>> Acccording to this issue the camera code was opened with MIT. The issue also includes the code.
>>
>> Can we check again - default support for camera would be a nice addition
>> to our Pharo universe.
>>

> If we include that plugin into VM, then there should be someone , who
> will take responsibility for maintaining and improving it.
>
> And that means:
> - making sure it works on all 3 major platforms (at least) and not
> breaks with new version(s) releases
> - updates the code, improves it etc
> - keep image-side code in good shape covered by tests and updated
> regularly , as Pharo make progress
> - have a good documentation
>
> any volunteers?
> I could, but i can't , because i already have multiple projects to
> care about. And i am close to limits of personal physical capabilities
> to keep things up.
>
> I didn't wanted to discourage anyone, but just wanted to remind that
> 'including into pharo' means a lot more than 'copying files there',
> otherwise it is not 'including', but planting timebomb which will
> explode eventually.

Yes, in addition I really don't like to ship the VM with lots of specialized Plugins.
(Klatt Plugin… )

Wouldn't it be possible to use FFI instead? Than everything is in user land, no
VM change needed.

        Marcus

Re: [Pharo-dev] CameraPlugin for (Pharo) VM

Thanks for the update.
Now I understand the concerns of igor and igor should finish its already large todo.
But somebody else can help.

Stef