[Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

123

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

Camillo Bruni-3
fixed

On 2013-06-25, at 17:16, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Comment aside, there is a #!/bin/bash # line at the top of the
> http://get.pharo.org/ page, which is outside of the comment that
> immediately follows it (between <!-- -->).
>
> That bang line, plus -1em margin rule applied to the html body causes
> a visual glitch at the top, that ruins a perfectly minimal page style
> :)

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

pdigonzelli
+1

Ing. Pablo Digonzelli
Sofware Solutions
IP Soluciones SRL

25 de Mayo 521. Entrepiso A
email: [hidden email]
email: [hidden email]
twitter: @pdigonzelli
Tel: 0381 4227378
Cel: 0381 155982714

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

Esteban A. Maringolo
Confirmed. The bang line is now hidden.

The question that remains is: why the duality between html/bash?
Smells like a hack. A clever one for sure. But a hack nonetheless. :)
Esteban A. Maringolo

On 2013-06-25, at 19:28, "Esteban A. Maringolo" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Confirmed. The bang line is now hidden.
>
> The question that remains is: why the duality between html/bash?
> Smells like a hack. A clever one for sure. But a hack nonetheless. :)
> Esteban A. Maringolo

it simplifies a lot since there is only a single static URL which is fully self-documenting.

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

kilon
wait a sec , who said PPA solves my problem ? Damien have you tested  it ?

PPA did not solve my problem ! It complained about missing a X11 something library and never allowed me to open the image. The problem got away when I used the instructions to install those libraries. If you intended it to be that easy then I advise you to test it on a 64 bit ubuntu without those 32 bit compatibility libraries.

Of course not having a 64 bit version when pretty much any programming language out there that it takes itself seriously (intended to be used professionally ) has one, is not exactly good first impression for pharo or squeak. I am sorry to be so strict and I am downgrading anyone's effort but if you guys are serious about making people taking pharo seriously , you better realise thats its 2013 and we are still stuck with a 32 bit version and we do a buch of none sense to get pharo running.

Maybe the pharo efforts should be diverted towards that direction.

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

EstebanLM
eventually (not too far from now), we will have a 64bits Stack VM... but we will not (or not soon, at least)  have a Cog 64 bits... The JIT needs to be redone to work there...

so... we still need 32bits architectures to work on 64bits... and basically they work. I wonder why it does not work for you :(

Esteban

On Jun 25, 2013, at 7:49 PM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> wait a sec , who said PPA solves my problem ? Damien have you tested  it ?
>
> PPA did not solve my problem ! It complained about missing a X11 something
> library and never allowed me to open the image. The problem got away when I
> used the instructions to install those libraries. If you intended it to be
> that easy then I advise you to test it on a 64 bit ubuntu without those 32
> bit compatibility libraries.
>
> Of course not having a 64 bit version when pretty much any programming
> language out there that it takes itself seriously (intended to be used
> professionally ) has one, is not exactly good first impression for pharo or
> squeak. I am sorry to be so strict and I am downgrading anyone's effort but
> if you guys are serious about making people taking pharo seriously , you
> better realise thats its 2013 and we are still stuck with a 32 bit version
> and we do a buch of none sense to get pharo running.
>
> Maybe the pharo efforts should be diverted towards that direction.

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

kilon
Well as I said, I am in no way downgrading your efforts. And I know you are not exactly Sun , or Python Foundation.

It works for me, I did not say it does not. It works perfectly on windows and macos and on linux when i install the 32 bit compatibility libraries works as well.

If you implement a way to detect whether a 64 bit linux system lack those libraries and install them , I think it wont be a problem at all. Or if that is hard, just add some instructiosn on the website , its just one liner its not that big deal.

Another thing I have observed with the website is that it lacks a donate button, it would be nice if you requested donation like for example pypy website is doing it

http://pypy.org/

why not make the 64 bit , a donation target ? I would most certainly would like to donate towards that goal and get more coders working on this. How that sounds ?

On 2013-06-25, at 20:41, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well as I said, I am in no way downgrading your efforts. And I know you are
> not exactly Sun , or Python Foundation.
>
> It works for me, I did not say it does not. It works perfectly on windows
> and macos and on linux when i install the 32 bit compatibility libraries
> works as well.
>
> If you implement a way to detect whether a 64 bit linux system lack those
> libraries and install them , I think it wont be a problem at all. Or if that
> is hard, just add some instructiosn on the website , its just one liner its
> not that big deal.

actually the zeroconf script was built towards that direction, but currently
fails to provide decent feedback. I think we can improve this situation quite
a bit by referring to the PPA in the zeroconf script!

actually I like the idea of financing subprojects of Pharo that way!

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

> There was something along the lines of ia32-libs but it may be deprecated with the advent of multilibs in Ubuntu/Debian, I need to check.
>
> Yes, it's either :
>
> sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
>
> or
>
> sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch:i386
>
>> Just basic info how to install pharo on linux should be enough. Afterall
>> amd64 is what every modern pc would use.
>
> I completely agree with you :)

oh yes. We are concerned about it. This is why we are setting up the consortium
and hope that we will be able to pay one engineer with it.

Now if more people would help on other fronts we would be able to allocate more time
to other places :)

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

On Jun 25, 2013, at 7:49 PM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> wait a sec , who said PPA solves my problem ? Damien have you tested  it ?
>
> PPA did not solve my problem ! It complained about missing a X11 something
> library and never allowed me to open the image. The problem got away when I
> used the instructions to install those libraries. If you intended it to be
> that easy then I advise you to test it on a 64 bit ubuntu without those 32
> bit compatibility libraries.
>
> Of course not having a 64 bit version when pretty much any programming
> language out there that it takes itself seriously (intended to be used
> professionally ) has one, is not exactly good first impression for pharo or
> squeak. I am sorry to be so strict and I am downgrading anyone's effort but
> if you guys are serious about making people taking pharo seriously , you
> better realise thats its 2013 and we are still stuck with a 32 bit version
> and we do a buch of none sense to get pharo running.
>
> Maybe the pharo efforts should be diverted towards that direction.

How many languages are solely based on real open-source efforts (without large companies
putting money and resources on the table)? Because so far we got 3 years engineers from inria
for Pharo.

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

Damien Cassou
Hi Kilon,

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 7:49 PM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> wait a sec , who said PPA solves my problem ? Damien have you tested  it ?

yes PPA is intended to solve this particular problem. If it does not
work for you then it is a failure. Nevertheless, I tried the PPA on
several blank systems (32 and 64 bits) and it worked fine. Could you
please report a bug on pharo.fogbugz.com and fill it in the "Ubuntu
packaging (ppa:pharo/stable)" project?

Thank you

Winston Churchill

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

pdigonzelli
hi all, for me ppa works very well.

Ing. Pablo Digonzelli
Sofware Solutions
IP Soluciones SRL

25 de Mayo 521. Entrepiso A
email: [hidden email]
email: [hidden email]
twitter: @pdigonzelli
Tel: 0381 4227378
Cel: 0381 155982714

Enviados: Martes, 25 de Junio 2013 17:44:23

Hi Kilon,

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 7:49 PM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:
> wait a sec , who said PPA solves my problem ? Damien have you tested  it ?

yes PPA is intended to solve this particular problem. If it does not
work for you then it is a failure. Nevertheless, I tried the PPA on
several blank systems (32 and 64 bits) and it worked fine. Could you
please report a bug on pharo.fogbugz.com and fill it in the "Ubuntu
packaging (ppa:pharo/stable)" project?

Thank you

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

kilon
Sure Damien I will try to unistall the libraries and try again and report the error.

Stephan why the website does not have a donate button ? Or you could even try kickstarter. I am not claiming I know how these things work but maybe its worth a try. There must be enough people around that are not companies and still willing to contribute financially to pharo , afterall who says "no" to more money , right ? :D

About my efforts, well those are to bring opengl closer to pharo , maybe port part of morphic to it and maybe implement a basic graphic engine with it. Right now I am contributing tutorials for NBOpengl in form of a GLTutorial Class and trying to make NBOpengl work on all 3 platforms.

Camillo happy you like my idea, I spoke with pypy people , really nice people and told me that this model has worked for them so far. They have already ported a big part of numpy to pypy with the money they collected so far.

pdigonzeli , hmm, strange that it works for you guys and not for me.

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

Marcus Denker-4

On Jun 26, 2013, at 9:09 AM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sure Damien I will try to unistall the libraries and try again and report the
> error.
>
> Stephan why the website does not have a donate button ?

because there is none. Because there only will be one if someone adds
one.

It is on the TODO, but there are many more things on the TODO besides that…
and a day just has 24 hours.

        Marcus

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

kilon
I try to unistall the libraries with

sudo apt-get remove --purge ia32-libs

But unistall only a single library and of course I cannot reproduce the error cause pharo continues to function properly. I am by no mean an Ubuntu expert but I have seen this another time, trying to remove a library this way does not fully remove the library.

Damian I am also loged in irc , sorry did not see your message earlier, if you want to guide me through this. :)

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

Каменев Алексей Николаевич
первоначальную задачу сдали (подписали) копия у Марины
получили относительно нее запросы на изменения
- выделение из АРМа фаршесоставителя АРМ-а для мешалки
- разработка АРМа для составителя специй на основании спланированных замесов
(заявки подписаны)

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

Goubier Thierry
You probably need to do a :

sudo apt-get autoremove

after that, so that you get rid of  all the dependencies of ia32-libs
that you haven't installed yourself.

Thierry

Le 26/06/2013 09:35, kilon a écrit :

> I try to unistall the libraries with
>
> sudo apt-get remove --purge ia32-libs
>
> But unistall only a single library and of course I cannot reproduce the
> error cause pharo continues to function properly. I am by no mean an Ubuntu
> expert but I have seen this another time, trying to remove a library this
> way does not fully remove the library.
>
> Damian I am also loged in irc , sorry did not see your message earlier, if
> you want to guide me through this. :)

Thierry Goubier
CEA list
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
France
Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

kilon
yes Thierry I have already done that I just forgot to add it here. Any other suggestions ?

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

kilon
by the way , in case anyone wonders, I know that it did not remove the full library because it asked me to remove 10 mbs while when it installed it asked me to add 200+ MBs , quite a difference ;)

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo does not work on ubuntu 13.04

Goubier Thierry
Oh ok. I'm out of ideas now, apart from removing them one by one :P

Thierry