classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Pharo-dev] question about mars

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi

I thought that Mars was for Mac but it works on Linux. So is it a layer on top of GTK?
How does it compare with the binding to VWxWidgets?
What is the difference with the Cocoa native bridge?

Stef
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [Pharo-dev] question about mars

Carla F. Griggio
Hi Stef!
The goal is that Mars works on Mac, Linux and also Windows later, and it will have a bridge for each platform. So far there is a bridge for Cocoa and another one for GTK, and later I will introduce the bridge for Windows.
In the screencasts of my last post (http://marsonpharo.wordpress.com/2013/07/27/how-to-build-a-mars-application-first-examples/) you can find that I show 2 versions of each example: first running on Mac (with Cocoa) and then on Linux (with Gtk). Nevertheless, the code for building a Mars application is platform independent, so you write the application once and you get it working on Mac and Linux.

I haven't heard of VWxWidgets, I will check it out.

Cheers!

On Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 5:21 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi

I thought that Mars was for Mac but it works on Linux. So is it a layer on top of GTK?

Stef

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
thanks carla.
I was wondering how it compares with Spec because the idea behind spec is to factor out the logic of the application.
I will discuss with esteban.

Stef

Hi Stef!
The goal is that Mars works on Mac, Linux and also Windows later, and it will have a bridge for each platform. So far there is a bridge for Cocoa and another one for GTK, and later I will introduce the bridge for Windows.
In the screencasts of my last post (http://marsonpharo.wordpress.com/2013/07/27/how-to-build-a-mars-application-first-examples/) you can find that I show 2 versions of each example: first running on Mac (with Cocoa) and then on Linux (with Gtk). Nevertheless, the code for building a Mars application is platform independent, so you write the application once and you get it working on Mac and Linux.

Cheers!

Hi

Stef

Reply | Threaded
|

Benjamin Van Ryseghem (Pharo)
It's part of my GSoC project to integrate Mars in Spec  :)

Ben

On Jul 27, 2013, at 12:14 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

thanks carla.
I was wondering how it compares with Spec because the idea behind spec is to factor out the logic of the application.

Stef

Hi Stef!

Cheers!

Hi

Stef

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jul 27, 2013, at 12:50 PM, Benjamin <[hidden email]> wrote:

It's part of my GSoC project to integrate Mars in Spec  :)

Cool :)

Ben

On Jul 27, 2013, at 12:14 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

thanks carla.

Stef

Hi Stef!

Cheers!

Hi

Stef