[Pharo-dev] rackincloude seaside hosting

[Pharo-dev] rackincloude seaside hosting

Max Leske
rackincloud.com offers seaside hosting. I find that really cool but there's absolutely no information on who they are and how much hosting costs. Can anyone shed some light please?

Cheers,
Max

Re: [Pharo-dev] rackincloude seaside hosting

mikefilonov
Hi Max,
That’s great you found this project that cool, thank you :)

Rackincloud.com is actually my personal project that I developed to host several pharo/seaside applications (well, not only seaside though: redmine, svn too, and several others are planned). As I did not find any similar suitable solution and I have some experience in hosting/appliances, I decided to create a simple platform for easy management of several instances of pharo/smalltalk via Web interface. Seems it really worked out :)

I developed a Pharo-appliance which is basically a Linux ISO-image that runs Pharo and VNC server. The appliance incorporates pharo-vm, pharo-image and all necessary utilities/libraries in one ready-to-use package, which allows to install server on a virtualization platform in "one click". The result is very similar to "Smalltalk OS" idea: you boot and you see pure pharo environment :)

Well, I thought that this project might be interesting to smalltalk/pharo community (as the process of running a new instance of Pharo is extremely easy with rackincloud.com) and I decided to make it public. So here the short video of how to run pharo (sorry about the musicJ) http://youtu.be/TXbvO5ejZZA?a

What about costs, at the moment it is $15/month for Pharo appliance. This includes: 512Mb of RAM, 5Gb of HDD, unlimited traffic. For hosting large files there is a "Fileserver Appliance" that is basically an apache server configured to serve files from public directory. It is managed by ajaxplorer web interface.

In general for now there is only 4 appliances ready for my platform, but I can package any linux software as appliance in case of such need.

So, I hope you'll enjoy working with rack in cloud, but keep in mind that it is its first run, and I REALY look forward to receiving any feedback.

Re: [Pharo-dev] rackincloude seaside hosting

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Mike,

On 30 Jul 2013, at 11:57, mikefilonov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Max,
> That’s great you found this project that cool, thank you :)
>
> Rackincloud.com is actually my personal project that I developed to host
> several pharo/seaside applications (well, not only seaside though: redmine,
> svn too, and several others are planned). As I did not find any similar
> suitable solution and I have some experience in hosting/appliances, I
> decided to create a simple platform for easy management of several instances
> of pharo/smalltalk via Web interface. Seems it really worked out :)
>
> I developed a Pharo-appliance which is basically a Linux ISO-image that runs
> Pharo and VNC server. The appliance incorporates pharo-vm, pharo-image and
> all necessary utilities/libraries in one ready-to-use package, which allows
> to install server on a virtualization platform in "one click". The result is
> very similar to "Smalltalk OS" idea: you boot and you see pure pharo
> environment :)
>
> Well, I thought that this project might be interesting to smalltalk/pharo
> community (as the process of running a new instance of Pharo is extremely
> easy with rackincloud.com) and I decided to make it public. So here the
> short video of how to run pharo (sorry about the musicJ)
> http://youtu.be/TXbvO5ejZZA?a

Great work, the web interface is cool.

And from the demo it looks as if things works fine (Seaside loaded really fast ;-) When I have more time I will check it out myself.

Keep us informed !

Sven

> What about costs, at the moment it is $15/month for Pharo appliance. This
> includes: 512Mb of RAM, 5Gb of HDD, unlimited traffic. For hosting large
> files there is a "Fileserver Appliance" that is basically an apache server
> configured to serve files from public directory. It is managed by ajaxplorer
> web interface.
>
> In general for now there is only 4 appliances ready for my platform, but I
> can package any linux software as appliance in case of such need.
>
> So, I hope you'll enjoy working with rack in cloud, but keep in mind that it
> is its first run, and I REALY look forward to receiving any feedback.

Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu
Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Re: [Pharo-dev] rackincloude seaside hosting

Max Leske
Thanks Mike.

The reason I was asking primarily is because of seasidehosting.st (which my company runs). It's old and dusty and Cog images don't run on it. There was a lot of hype around Smallharbour but it seems to have died (anyone have any news on that?), which is a shame because it might have been a replacement for seasidehosting.st.

So what I gather from your answer is that rackinthecloud is not an alternative, strictly speaking (seasidehosting.st is free of charge), but a good spot to turn to if you're looking for permanent hosting. And that's a good thing to know because we do get requests from time to time from people who are looking for more than we provide with seasidehosting.st.

Thanks again for the clarification and thanks also for your initiative!

One last thing: maybe you could add the information you just gave me to the website (maybe on an "about" page). I think that would help a lot (it would help you too,  since people will have more trust if they have more information).

Cheers,
Max

On Jul 30, 2013, at 11:57 AM, mikefilonov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Max,
> That’s great you found this project that cool, thank you :)

Yes this is cool.
Did you look at SmallHarbor the work done by romain Verduci to offer better way to host seaside applications?

http://smallharbour.seasidehosting.st

> Rackincloud.com is actually my personal project that I developed to host
> several pharo/seaside applications (well, not only seaside though: redmine,
> svn too, and several others are planned). As I did not find any similar
> suitable solution and I have some experience in hosting/appliances, I
> decided to create a simple platform for easy management of several instances
> of pharo/smalltalk via Web interface. Seems it really worked out :)
>
> I developed a Pharo-appliance which is basically a Linux ISO-image that runs
> Pharo and VNC server. The appliance incorporates pharo-vm, pharo-image and
> all necessary utilities/libraries in one ready-to-use package, which allows
> to install server on a virtualization platform in "one click". The result is
> very similar to "Smalltalk OS" idea: you boot and you see pure pharo
> environment :)

Excellent!
If you need access to a jenkins build server to help you, let us know.

> Well, I thought that this project might be interesting to smalltalk/pharo
> community (as the process of running a new instance of Pharo is extremely
> easy with rackincloud.com) and I decided to make it public. So here the
> short video of how to run pharo (sorry about the musicJ)

Thanks for sharing that with us. We will create a blog and make some noise :)

> http://youtu.be/TXbvO5ejZZA?a
>
> What about costs, at the moment it is $15/month for Pharo appliance. This
> includes: 512Mb of RAM, 5Gb of HDD, unlimited traffic. For hosting large
> files there is a "Fileserver Appliance" that is basically an apache server
> configured to serve files from public directory. It is managed by ajaxplorer
> web interface.
>
> In general for now there is only 4 appliances ready for my platform, but I
> can package any linux software as appliance in case of such need.
>
> So, I hope you'll enjoy working with rack in cloud, but keep in mind that it
> is its first run, and I REALY look forward to receiving any feedback.

You should announce to the ESUG mailing-list too.

Re: rackincloud seaside/aida hosting

Janko Mivšek
Privet Mike,

Nice work indeed and FYI I just managed to prepare and run Aida/Web
appliance there too: http://aidademo.rackincloud.com. So your approach
is actually more generally useful and I hope you will continue
developing this service even further.

Best regards
Janko

Dne 30. 07. 2013 11:57, piše mikefilonov:

> Hi Max,
> That’s great you found this project that cool, thank you :)
>
> Rackincloud.com is actually my personal project that I developed to host
> several pharo/seaside applications (well, not only seaside though: redmine,
> svn too, and several others are planned). As I did not find any similar
> suitable solution and I have some experience in hosting/appliances, I
> decided to create a simple platform for easy management of several instances
> of pharo/smalltalk via Web interface. Seems it really worked out :)
>
> I developed a Pharo-appliance which is basically a Linux ISO-image that runs
> Pharo and VNC server. The appliance incorporates pharo-vm, pharo-image and
> all necessary utilities/libraries in one ready-to-use package, which allows
> to install server on a virtualization platform in "one click". The result is
> very similar to "Smalltalk OS" idea: you boot and you see pure pharo
> environment :)
>
> Well, I thought that this project might be interesting to smalltalk/pharo
> community (as the process of running a new instance of Pharo is extremely
> easy with rackincloud.com) and I decided to make it public. So here the
> short video of how to run pharo (sorry about the musicJ)
> http://youtu.be/TXbvO5ejZZA?a
>
> What about costs, at the moment it is $15/month for Pharo appliance. This
> includes: 512Mb of RAM, 5Gb of HDD, unlimited traffic. For hosting large
> files there is a "Fileserver Appliance" that is basically an apache server
> configured to serve files from public directory. It is managed by ajaxplorer
> web interface.
>
> In general for now there is only 4 appliances ready for my platform, but I
> can package any linux software as appliance in case of such need.
>
> So, I hope you'll enjoy working with rack in cloud, but keep in mind that it
> is its first run, and I REALY look forward to receiving any feedback.

Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [Pharo-dev] rackincloude seaside hosting

mikefilonov
Max Leske wrote
So what I gather from your answer is that rackinthecloud is not an alternative, strictly speaking (seasidehosting.st is free of charge), but a good spot to turn to if you're looking for permanent hosting. And that's a good thing to know because we do get requests from time to time from people who are looking for more than we provide with seasidehosting.st.

Thanks for such a detailed reply, Max.

Sadly, but as I'm a single developer it is not possible for me to provide the services for free. However if there is a chance to get appropriate support to maintain datacenter infrastructure it seems absolutely feasible to deploy a hosting solution using rackincloud platform which will provide similar to seasidehosing offer (256Mb RAM for Appliance) for free.

What do you think?