Pharo fails to update

kilon
I am trying to update pharo via world menu , I am using nativeboost CogVM from jekins servers , win32 and the image from All in One pharo (pharo 1.4) that I downloaded today. It worked fine with my macos but in fails with windows 7 with this error.

Downloading Updates

adding Versions

Downloading ConfigurationOfMetacello-dkh.709.mkz

Debugger reporting :

ZnHttpUnsucessful : 404 Not Found

I am attaching a file out with the full trace , I hope it helps.

PharoDebug.log (372K) Download Attachment

Re: Pharo fails to update

Sven Van Caekenberghe
The file that you are trying to download (/ss/Pharo14/ConfigurationOfMetacello-dkh.709.mcz)) simply does not exist on the server in question (http://ss3.gemstone.com). Why the update process is trying to do that is another question.

On the other hand, I am not sure that updating released images is supported.

On 24 Aug 2012, at 13:19, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am trying to update pharo via world menu , I am using nativeboost CogVM from jekins servers , win32 and the image from All in One pharo (pharo 1.4) that I downloaded today. It worked fine with my macos but in fails with windows 7 with this error.
>

> Downloading Updates

> adding Versions
>
> Downloading ConfigurationOfMetacello-dkh.709.mkz
>
> Debugger reporting :
>
> ZnHttpUnsucessful : 404 Not Found
>
> I am attaching a file out with the full trace , I hope it helps.
>

> <PharoDebug.log>

Re: Pharo fails to update

Igor Stasenko
On 24 August 2012 13:19, dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I am trying to update pharo via world menu , I am using nativeboost CogVM
> from jekins servers , win32 and the image from All in One pharo (pharo 1.4)
> that I downloaded today. It worked fine with my macos but in fails with
> windows 7 with this error.

yep, this is an outstanding problem with metacello configuration..

you this error, but if you retry
the same code i.e.  MyConfiguration .. load, it works

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Fw: Pharo fails to update

kilon

The file that you are trying to download (/ss/Pharo14/ConfigurationOfMetacello-dkh.709.mcz)) simply does not exist on the server in question (http://ss3.gemstone.com). Why the update process is trying to do that is another question.

On the other hand, I am not sure that updating released images is supported.

why Official supported images are not suitable for updating process ? And if not which are ? That sound extremely weird by the way.

Does that mean , updating is useless ?

Whats the purpose of updating in Pharo ?

yep, this is an outstanding problem with metacello configuration..

you this error, but if you retry
the same code i.e.  MyConfiguration .. load, it works

-----------------------

Should not this error get fixed ? looks pretty major to me. I did not have this problem when I tried updating few days ago.

Re: Pharo fails to update

Stéphane Ducasse

> The file that you are trying to download (/ss/Pharo14/ConfigurationOfMetacello-dkh.709.mcz)) simply does not exist on the server in question (http://ss3.gemstone.com). Why the update process is trying to do that is another question.
>
> On the other hand, I am not sure that updating released images is supported.
>

> why Official supported images are not suitable for updating process ?

because in the past images contained software artifacts that we did not control.

> And if not which are ? That sound extremely weird by the way.
>

> Does that mean , updating is useless ?

No but not for released versions.
We update daily our images with updates.

> Whats the purpose of updating in Pharo ?

yes.

> you this error, but if you retry
> the same code i.e.  MyConfiguration .. load, it works
>
> -----------------------
>
> Should not this error get fixed ?

who said we will not fix it?

> looks pretty major to me. I did not have this problem when I tried updating few days ago.

Re: Pharo fails to update

kilon
> because in the past images contained software artifacts that we did not control.

So , does that still mean that the all in one package of pharo from the official website still contains artifacts you cannot control ? and that updating does not depend on you but also by third parties ?

> No but not for released versions.
> We update daily our images with updates.

I am confused what type of images we are talking about  here ? any type of customised image ? Dont all images start or are based on released images ?

Does that means that those images contain fixes to this problem ? or does that mean that those images dont contain any of the problematic software ?

> who said we will not fix it?

None I was just asking

Ok so I should not update and instead manually update and install.

Re: Pharo fails to update

Stéphane Ducasse

> So , does that still mean that the all in one package of pharo from the official website still contains artifacts you cannot control ?

No now not anymore.

> and that updating does not depend on you but also by third parties ?

sorry I do not get it.

> > who said we will not fix it?
>
> Ok so I should not update and instead manually update and install.

No but on released images we normally disable updates.
Now you found a bug probably due to a change in Metacello

Re: Pharo fails to update

kilon
thank you for helping me understand. Is there any chance the updating mechanics are documented somewhere ? I have noted to study metacello too.

Re: Pharo fails to update

Stéphane Ducasse
have a look a the softwareUpdater class.

in essence
        you have a list of files
                pha-1232.cs
                pha-1233.cs

        …

        then in the pha-1232.cs you get any smalltalk code

for Pharo, you get instructions to kick a script (method of ScriptLoader)
that will load a list of packages.

Stef

> thank you for helping me understand. Is there any chance the updating mechanics are documented somewhere ? I have noted to study metacello too.

Re: Pharo fails to update

kilon
Thank you again. I also watched the ESUG video of "Whatever you wanted to know about metacello and you were afraid to ask" and read the chapter on PBE2, it does seem a bit complicated but not hard to understand. Looks simple enough.