Pharo fondation: administration and real people

Pharo fondation: administration and real people

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

we are filling up papers with luc to get a fondation for pharo. The idea there is to have a minimal administrative board: a president that signs and a tresaurer that counts. We suggest to be me and luc because he is doing the work for the bank ;)
This admin board should be kept small else at each changes we have to sign papers and go to the prefecture and ....

Now we want to have a real board and we would like to hear from you who we would like to have on the board.
For me I would like to get people from industry:
        - adrian
        - johan

then some acad
        - me
        - marcus
        - luc

But we want to hear from you about ideas. We do not want an election because we do not want to have election :)
The goal of the board will be to think and organize ***public*** discussions around pharo visions and next steps
+ organization of bounty and money collecting actions
+ infrastructure (paying bills for servers if necessary)
+ collect licenses...

Re: Pharo fondation: administration and real people

Tudor Girba
Excellent news! I agree that the admin should be kept to a minimum.

It would be good to define the role of the board from the start. One thing that is important is not just how people get in the board, but also how they go away.

I would be interested in getting involved in the board, if wanted.

Cheers,
Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"To lead is not to demand things, it is to make them happen."

Re: Pharo fondation: administration and real people

laurent laffont
That's great.

IMHO, "outside communication and promotion" should be an important goal.

Laurent.

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Benoit St-Jean
Suggestion : it seems like a lot of the contribution efforts are coming from Europe.  Perhaps having a (at least one) "North American point of view" on the board would help Pharo get more attention & success on this side of the world...  For instance, it's a shame that Pharo doesn't get more academic presence in North America as compared to it's academic success in Europe.  I don't know what causes that...  But then, one could argue that I'm not 100% North American since I'm from Quebec and was born with that "European side"...  ;)

Keep up the good work guy!

Bravo à vous messieurs!

-----------------
Benoit St-Jean
Yahoo! Messenger: bstjean
A standpoint is an intellectual horizon of radius zero.
(Albert Einstein)

Re: Pharo fondation: administration and real people

Dmitri Zagidulin
I would definitely be interested in helping with the 'outside
communication and promotion' part. Especially in the documentation and
tutorials department. I also bring in the North American perspective
(I'm in Maine, USA, and am frequently in Boston and New York), and the
non-academic professional developer perspective.
So, I don't know if there's room on the board or what the process is,
but I would definitely be interested in joining or helping out.

Dmitri Zagidulin
http://smalltalkzen.wordpress.com

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 5:41 AM, laurent laffont
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's great.
> IMHO, "outside communication and promotion" should be an important goal.
> Laurent.
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> we are filling up papers with luc to get a fondation for pharo. The idea
>> there is to have a minimal administrative board: a president that signs and
>> a tresaurer that counts. We suggest to be me and luc because he is doing the
>> work for the bank ;)
>> This admin board should be kept small else at each changes we have to sign
>> papers and go to the prefecture and ....
>>
>> Now we want to have a real board and we would like to hear from you who we
>> would like to have on the board.
>> For me I would like to get people from industry:
>>        - adrian
>>        - johan
>>
>> then some acad
>>        - me
>>        - marcus
>>        - luc
>>
>> But we want to hear from you about ideas. We do not want an election
>> because we do not want to have election :)
>> The goal of the board will be to think and organize ***public***
>> discussions around pharo visions and next steps
>> + organization of bounty and money collecting actions
>> + infrastructure (paying bills for servers if necessary)
>> + collect licenses...
>> Stef

Re: Pharo fondation: administration and real people

garduino
I think is a good idea to have a Board and public discussions.

I'm doing some promotion work on areas as MicroISV (as I commented in
Smalltalks 2010), and this happens mainly in USA
(joelonsoftware/ycombinator/etc) and now I'm starting writing some
articles to push a bit on Linux world, were I'm from years.

Lot of tools and languages are established in Linux but I think we
(the Smalltalkers) need to comment a lot more about our tools and
environment and I'm trying to write some introductory articles to
publish on Full Circle Magazine (http://fullcirclemagazine.org/). I
already have the ok of the editor.

Well, just my 2 cents.

Cheers.

2011/2/3 Dmitri Zagidulin <[hidden email]>:

> I would definitely be interested in helping with the 'outside
> communication and promotion' part. Especially in the documentation and
> tutorials department. I also bring in the North American perspective
> (I'm in Maine, USA, and am frequently in Boston and New York), and the
> non-academic professional developer perspective.
> So, I don't know if there's room on the board or what the process is,
> but I would definitely be interested in joining or helping out.
>
> Dmitri Zagidulin
> http://smalltalkzen.wordpress.com
>
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 5:41 AM, laurent laffont
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That's great.
>> IMHO, "outside communication and promotion" should be an important goal.
>> Laurent.
>> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Stéphane Ducasse
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> we are filling up papers with luc to get a fondation for pharo. The idea
>>> there is to have a minimal administrative board: a president that signs and
>>> a tresaurer that counts. We suggest to be me and luc because he is doing the
>>> work for the bank ;)
>>> This admin board should be kept small else at each changes we have to sign
>>> papers and go to the prefecture and ....
>>>
>>> Now we want to have a real board and we would like to hear from you who we
>>> would like to have on the board.
>>> For me I would like to get people from industry:
>>>        - adrian
>>>        - johan
>>>
>>> then some acad
>>>        - me
>>>        - marcus
>>>        - luc
>>>
>>> But we want to hear from you about ideas. We do not want an election
>>> because we do not want to have election :)
>>> The goal of the board will be to think and organize ***public***
>>> discussions around pharo visions and next steps
>>> + organization of bounty and money collecting actions
>>> + infrastructure (paying bills for servers if necessary)
>>> + collect licenses...
>>> Stef

Re: Pharo fondation: administration and real people

Miguel Cobá
Good news!

+1 to the proposed people.

--
Miguel Cobá
http://twitter.com/MiguelCobaMtz

Re: Pharo fondation: administration and real people

good points.
We will think about that.

On Feb 3, 2011, at 3:56 PM, Dmitri Zagidulin wrote:

> I would definitely be interested in helping with the 'outside
> communication and promotion' part. Especially in the documentation and
> tutorials department. I also bring in the North American perspective
> (I'm in Maine, USA, and am frequently in Boston and New York), and the
> non-academic professional developer perspective.
> So, I don't know if there's room on the board or what the process is,
> but I would definitely be interested in joining or helping out.
>
> Dmitri Zagidulin
> http://smalltalkzen.wordpress.com

Thanks Dmitri!. This is important to get blogs and others. A digest of the things happening in the list
would be great. Like new framework summary of fixes... discussions.
The point is that we want to keep the board actions only for just taking decisions
when the community disagree (and for non politically correct remarks :)). All the rest of the discussions should get public and may be
via this list or pharo-users.

Re: Pharo fondation: administration and real people

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I would be happy to participate if I can be of service. I am aligned with and excited about the Pharo vision and am very interested in building on the North American (and especially New York) community.

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Pharo fondation: administration and real people

Stéphane Ducasse
Cool and thanks.
Sean you know we try to pay attention to your fixes and we appreciate them/
Just not enough time to do all the work that should be done but we will do it.

I think that it would be good for native english speakers to help bloging :)
Since the mailing is quite dense, a digest every week for the outside world
would be a huge promotion. I know some people that cannot cope with the amount of mails
but would love to be aware of what we are doing.

Stef
On Feb 3, 2011, at 9:32 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> I would be happy to participate if I can be of service. I am aligned with and
> excited about the Pharo vision and am very interested in building on the
> North American (and especially New York) community.
>
> Sean

Re: Pharo fondation: administration and real people

Adrian Lienhard
Hi Sean and Dmitri,

Thanks for offering your help. Indeed, it would be cool if we could set up a small team of two or three people who would help building the community through regular blogging, twittering, improving the website, etc.

Cheers,
Adrian