Pharo for Raspberry Pi

horrido
I'm following Torsten's article, "Pharo Pi," to setup my new Raspberry Pi 3. The only differences are: 1) I'm using 63.zip for the VM instead of 61.zip; 2) I'm using Pharo V50 instead of V40. However, I'm getting the following error when I try to run Pharo:

This interpreter (vers. 6505) cannot read image file (vers. 6521).

Any idea what's going on?

Re: Pharo for Raspberry Pi

nacho
I guess you will have to check both, the VM and the image are Spur or not. Do not combine them.
Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Pharo for Raspberry Pi

horrido
Okay, I had to fall back to V40 of Pharo. I guess that means I also have to fall back to the previous "Pharo by Example" book, instead of "Pharo by Example 50."

Bummer.

Re: Pharo for Raspberry Pi

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi richard,

Denis is working on a raspberry connexion.
He showed us that he can remotely control an arduino connected to a raspberry running Pharo.
I will demo it during Pharodays and we plan to produce a tutorial.
So you can beta test it.

Stef

On Sat, May 6, 2017 at 11:20 PM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
Okay, I had to fall back to V40 of Pharo. I guess that means I also have to
fall back to the previous "Pharo by Example" book, instead of "Pharo by
Example 50."

Bummer.

Re: Pharo for Raspberry Pi

Ben Coman

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 2:35 AM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm following Torsten's article, "Pharo Pi," to setup my new Raspberry Pi 3.
The only differences are: 1) I'm using 63.zip for the VM instead of 61.zip;
2) I'm using Pharo V50 instead of V40. However, I'm getting the following
error when I try to run Pharo:

*This interpreter (vers. 6505) cannot read image file (vers. 6521).*

Any idea what's going on?

btw, a good place to search is forum.world.st.
Here are the two best I found...

In summary, you are trying to open a Spur Image with a non-Spur VM .
and an image from...   http://files.pharo.org/image/50/
Perhaps somewhere I saw that latest (i.e. 50772.zip) was made compatible with latest VM (??).

But see Tim's caution about a period to avoid of unstable VM...

cheers -ben

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 5:20 AM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
Okay, I had to fall back to V40 of Pharo. I guess that means I also have to
fall back to the previous "Pharo by Example" book, instead of "Pharo by
Example 50."

The old PBE corresponds to Pharo 1.4.

Re: Pharo for Raspberry Pi

Attila Magyar
As I remember, last time I used the standard squeak vm that is shipped with the rpi3, and it worked fine with Pharo. I don't remember whether it was a spur image or not, but it worth trying out.

Re: Pharo for Raspberry Pi

horrido
Thanks. It works.

Ben Coman wrote
On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 2:35 AM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm following Torsten's article, "Pharo Pi," to setup my new Raspberry Pi
> 3.
> The only differences are: 1) I'm using 63.zip for the VM instead of 61.zip;
> 2) I'm using Pharo V50 instead of V40. However, I'm getting the following
> error when I try to run Pharo:
>
> *This interpreter (vers. 6505) cannot read image file (vers. 6521).*
>
> Any idea what's going on?

btw, a good place to search is forum.world.st.
Here are the two best I found...
http://forum.world.st/ImageFormat-updates-tp4944966p4945730.html
http://forum.world.st/magic-decode-for-image-files-tp4941712p4941713.html

In summary, you are trying to open a Spur Image with a non-Spur VM .
Try a VM from...  http://files.pharo.org/vm/pharo-spur32/linux/armv6/

http://forum.world.st/vm-dev-latest-VM-crashed-on-raspberry-tp4944062p4944908.html

cheers -ben

On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 5:20 AM, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Okay, I had to fall back to V40 of Pharo. I guess that means I also have to
> fall back to the previous "Pharo by Example" book, instead of "Pharo by
> Example 50."

The old PBE corresponds to Pharo 1.4.

Re: Pharo for Raspberry Pi

SergeStinckwich
On Sun, May 7, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Stephane Ducasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi richard,
>
> Denis is working on a raspberry connexion.
> He showed us that he can remotely control an arduino connected to a
> raspberry running Pharo.
> I will demo it during Pharodays and we plan to produce a tutorial.
> So you can beta test it.

This looks great !

I find the repo here: http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Pharo/IoT
I guess this is the correct repository ?

Regards,

--
Serge Stinckwich
UCN & UMI UMMISCO 209 (IRD/UPMC)