Pharo for the Raspberry Pi

12

Pharo for the Raspberry Pi

Goubier Thierry
Hi all,

I'm trying to know if it is possible to run a version of pharo, recent
if possible, on the Raspberry Pi?

I know that there is a squeak vm on Raspian (Debian for the RaspberryPi)
but it doesn't load recent pharo images.

Thanks,

Thierry
--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list
Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: Pharo for the Raspberry Pi

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Thierry,

On 02 Oct 2013, at 10:14, Goubier Thierry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to know if it is possible to run a version of pharo, recent if possible, on the Raspberry Pi?
>
> I know that there is a squeak vm on Raspian (Debian for the RaspberryPi) but it doesn't load recent pharo images.

Using the VM that comes with Raspbian, you can run Pharo 1.4.
Pharo 2.0 requires additional VM support.

Sven

> Thanks,
>
> Thierry
> --
> Thierry Goubier
> CEA list
> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
> France
> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: Pharo for the Raspberry Pi

Frank Shearar-3
On 2 October 2013 10:06, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thierry,
>
> On 02 Oct 2013, at 10:14, Goubier Thierry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to know if it is possible to run a version of pharo, recent if possible, on the Raspberry Pi?
>>
>> I know that there is a squeak vm on Raspian (Debian for the RaspberryPi) but it doesn't load recent pharo images.
>
> Using the VM that comes with Raspbian, you can run Pharo 1.4.
> Pharo 2.0 requires additional VM support.

It would require a whole new VM wouldn't it? Or did the switch to a
Cog VM only happen during the 3.0 cycle? (Because Cog doesn't run on
ARM.)

frank

On 02 Oct 2013, at 11:07, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2 October 2013 10:06, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Thierry,
>>
>> On 02 Oct 2013, at 10:14, Goubier Thierry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to know if it is possible to run a version of pharo, recent if possible, on the Raspberry Pi?
>>>
>>> I know that there is a squeak vm on Raspian (Debian for the RaspberryPi) but it doesn't load recent pharo images.
>>
>> Using the VM that comes with Raspbian, you can run Pharo 1.4.
>> Pharo 2.0 requires additional VM support.
>
> It would require a whole new VM wouldn't it? Or did the switch to a
> Cog VM only happen during the 3.0 cycle? (Because Cog doesn't run on
> ARM.)

I don't think it has to do with Cog, but rather with a few silly primitives related to files and time, I am just not sure which ones. But since these are needed during startup, debugging is hard.

> frank
>
>> Sven
>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Thierry
>>> --
>>> Thierry Goubier
>>> CEA list
>>> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
>>> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
>>> France
>>> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: Pharo for the Raspberry Pi

Hi thierry

we planned to see how we can compile a new VM Stack with JB on rasp but I got sick and stuck at home.
But yes this is on our radar.

Re: Pharo for the Raspberry Pi

Goubier Thierry
Ok.

This means I may suggest someone to lend some manpower to look into
that. I'll ask.

Could a stackVM and an ARM NB be a reasonable, short term target? I saw
someone saying he would start on ASMJit for ARM a while back.

Thierry

--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
France
Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: Pharo for the Raspberry Pi

Goubier Thierry
Ok, thanks for the info, Sven.

Thierry

Le 02/10/2013 11:06, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :

> Thierry,
>
> On 02 Oct 2013, at 10:14, Goubier Thierry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm trying to know if it is possible to run a version of pharo, recent if possible, on the Raspberry Pi?
>>
>> I know that there is a squeak vm on Raspian (Debian for the RaspberryPi) but it doesn't load recent pharo images.
>
> Using the VM that comes with Raspbian, you can run Pharo 1.4.
> Pharo 2.0 requires additional VM support.
>
> Sven
>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Thierry
>> --
>> Thierry Goubier
>> CEA list
>> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
>> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
>> France
>> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
France
Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: Pharo for the Raspberry Pi

Nick
Hi,

I managed to compile a StackVM on the raspberry Pi - a couple of months ago - though I haven't tried with the latest StackVM source. I meant to write it up, but life got in the way I'm afraid.

The procedure I took was:
* From a PC running Pharo install VMMaker packages (I found it was easiest to run under a Linux (eg Ubuntu) to match the PIs OS.
* Export the StackVM source
* Install the build tools on the raspberry Pi
* Copy exported StackVM source (need to ensure it is copied to exactly the same place, eg /home/nick/build)
* Build and test with Pharo2.0.image

I choose to build on the Raspberry Pi as in my experience setting up a reliable cross-compiling environment can take days.

Here are some notes I made at the time:

On the raspberry PI:
# install build tools
sudo apt-get install gcc g++ cmake

# dependencies for vm plugins
sudo apt-get install libasound2-dev libssl-dev libfreetype6-dev libgl1-mesa-dev

sudo apt-get install build-essential

# to fix:
# /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lSM
#/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lICE
# create the following links in: /usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/

sudo ln -s libSM.so.6 libSM.so
sudo ln -s libICE.so.6 libICE.so

Once the source is installed:

chmod +x platforms/unix/config/version
chmod +x platforms/unix/config/verstamp

At the time I had to patch a couple of files, but that might have changed with later versions of the StackVM source. My notes say I modified the following, though don't indicate what I changed:

platforms/Cross/vm/sqAtomicOps.h
platforms/unix/vm/sqUnixITimerHeartbeat.c
platforms/unix/vm/vmVersionInfo.h
src/vm/gcc3x-interp.c

Hope this helps

Nick

On Oct 2, 2013, at 11:26 AM, Goubier Thierry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ok.
>
> This means I may suggest someone to lend some manpower to look into that. I'll ask.
>
> Could a stackVM and an ARM NB be a reasonable, short term target? I saw someone saying he would start on ASMJit for ARM a while back.

I would love now I do not know if Damien will have the energy to continue.

> Thierry
>
> Le 02/10/2013 11:15, Stéphane Ducasse a écrit :
>> Hi thierry
>>
>> we planned to see how we can compile a new VM Stack with JB on rasp but I got sick and stuck at home.
>> But yes this is on our radar.
>>
>> Stef
>>

> --
> Thierry Goubier
> CEA list
> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
> France
> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: Pharo for the Raspberry Pi

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Nick,

On 02 Oct 2013, at 11:51, Nick Ager <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I managed to compile a StackVM on the raspberry Pi - a couple of months ago - though I haven't tried with the latest StackVM source. I meant to write it up, but life got in the way I'm afraid.

What you did (and I can't) is indeed what should be done: recompile locally ;-)

So the conclusion is that it worked and that you can now run Pharo 2.0 (and presumable 3.0) as well ?

That would be excellent and important news !  And the best short term solution.

Either you (but you lack time) or somebody else who feels at home with this stuff should redo your steps and produce the actual VM, so that us weak high-level programmers can have our Pharo and play ;-)

Thanks,

Sven

> [...]
>
> Using the VM that comes with Raspbian, you can run Pharo 1.4.
> Pharo 2.0 requires additional VM support.
>
> Sven
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thierry
> --
> Thierry Goubier
> CEA list
> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
> France
> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95
>

> --
> Thierry Goubier
> CEA list
> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
> France
> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Thanks Nick. We'll make a try and see how is the situation, then update
on the mailing list.

Thierry

Le 02/10/2013 11:51, Nick Ager a écrit :

> [...]
>
>             Thanks,
>
>             Thierry
>             --
>             Thierry Goubier
>             CEA list
>             Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
>             91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
>             France
>             Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95
>

>     --
>     Thierry Goubier
>     CEA list
>     Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
>     91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
>     France
>     Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
France
Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Hi Sven,

if we manage that stage I'll write that up. This looks like good info to
start with :)

Thierry

Le 02/10/2013 13:47, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :

> [...]
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Thierry
>> --
>> Thierry Goubier
>> CEA list
>> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
>> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
>> France
>> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95
>>

>> --
>> Thierry Goubier
>> CEA list
>> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
>> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
>> France
>> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

--
Thierry Goubier
CEA list
91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
France
Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

NorbertHartl
Maybe I find some time tomorrow to try this out myself. If somebody is super eager to do that stuff I might install remote access to our rasp.

Norbert

Am 02.10.2013 um 13:58 schrieb Goubier Thierry <[hidden email]>:

> [...]
>>> --
>>> Thierry Goubier
>>> CEA list
>>> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
>>> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
>>> France
>>> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95
>>>

>>> --
>>> Thierry Goubier
>>> CEA list
>>> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
>>> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
>>> France
>>> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95
>>>

> --
> Thierry Goubier
> CEA list
> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
> France
> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Ah, forgot to ask. What is the status of ARM support for NativeBoost?

Norbert

Am 02.10.2013 um 13:54 schrieb Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>:

> Maybe I find some time tomorrow to try this out myself. If somebody is super eager to do that stuff I might install remote access to our rasp.
>
> Norbert
>
> Am 02.10.2013 um 13:58 schrieb Goubier Thierry <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi Sven,
>>
>> if we manage that stage I'll write that up. This looks like good info to start with :)
>>
>> Thierry
>>
>> Le 02/10/2013 13:47, Sven Van Caekenberghe a écrit :
>>> Hi Nick,

>>> What you did (and I can't) is indeed what should be done: recompile locally ;-)
>>>
>>> So the conclusion is that it worked and that you can now run Pharo 2.0 (and presumable 3.0) as well ?
>>>
>>> That would be excellent and important news !  And the best short term solution.
>>>
>>> Either you (but you lack time) or somebody else who feels at home with this stuff should redo your steps and produce the actual VM, so that us weak high-level programmers can have our Pharo and play ;-)
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Sven

>> --
>> Thierry Goubier
>> CEA list
>> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
>> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
>> France
>> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Re: Pharo for the Raspberry Pi

:) and we will setup a rasp slave on jenkins

Stef

On 02 Oct 2013, at 13:58, Goubier Thierry <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Sven,
>
> if we manage that stage I'll write that up. This looks like good info to start with :)

I was hoping that this would be something in your field of expertise ;-)
In any case, I am willing to test on my RPi.
Good luck!

> [...]
>>> --
>>> Thierry Goubier
>>> CEA list
>>> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
>>> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
>>> France
>>> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95
>>>

>>> --
>>> Thierry Goubier
>>> CEA list
>>> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
>>> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
>>> France
>>> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95
>>>

> --
> Thierry Goubier
> CEA list
> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
> France
> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Hi Sven and others,

I've attached a screen shot of Pharo 20623.image running on the Raspberry Pi - I'd connected through a VNC session into my Mac. The image is almost unusably slow - I don't know if the problem lays in the graphical performance + VNC rather than the bytecode execution. tinyBenchmarks give:

0 tinyBenchmarks '10471204 bytecodes/sec; 307552 sends/sec'

I came across a "PrimitiveFailed" walk-back from NativeBoost class>>#isEnabled and just commented out the primitive call and instead returned false. I guess this is probably as the VM sources I have date back to April/May so probably aren't completely compatible with 2.0.

I've shared my Raspberry Pi build folder "result" on dropbox, which contains the StackVM executable built on the Pi:

I haven't tried installing the built StackVM onto a clean Pi distribution so don't know if any of the packages I installed during the build process will also be required for executing the StackVM - don't complain too loudly if just copying the contents from dropbox doesn't work directly on your Pi.

I found some more notes I made while trying to compile the VM - though reading them back they seem more like the ramblings of a mad man and I'm sure the problems I ran into compiling the StackVM will be sorted by now: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZIzvTmV4zkYrFgOdAzfZzC35iMAqI2jc-44XQO9wSwc/edit?usp=sharing

Also note that Pharo1.2.1 works with the VM used for Scratch in the Raspberry Pi distribution - without the need to build your own VM.

Sorry I don't have many free cycles to support, but hope this might help someone to create a "blessed" Raspberry Pi Pharo VM

Cheers

Nick

On 2 October 2013 12:47, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> Using the VM that comes with Raspbian, you can run Pharo 1.4.
> Pharo 2.0 requires additional VM support.
>
> Sven
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thierry
> --
> Thierry Goubier
> CEA list
> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
> France
> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95
>

> --
> Thierry Goubier
> CEA list
> Laboratoire des Fondations des Systèmes Temps Réel Embarqués
> 91191 Gif sur Yvette Cedex
> France
> Phone/Fax: +33 (0) 1 69 08 32 92 / 83 95

Screen Shot 2013-10-09 at 20.53.31.png (290K) Download Attachment

Re: Pharo for the Raspberry Pi

Ben Coman
I guess you're aware of Tim Rowledge's work...
http://forum.world.st/New-faster-RISC-OS-Squeak-td4668157.html
http://www.rowledge.org/tim/squeak/

cheers -ben

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cnta1hjoo7ptv1j/CELvuMjIRl

wrote:

[...]

Also there is the '[squeak-dev] CharacterScanner and stopConditions' thread
following which Tim comments in [vm-dev] "...prompted me to try the
latest image with all the new character scanner stuff as well. Wow. Now
that makes an improvement. And that's on a stackvm with no fasterbitblt
support yet."