Pharo general questions for a commercial application

Pharo general questions for a commercial application

BrunoBB
Hi,

My name is Bruno i'been using Smalltalk since 1999 for commercial
applications, mostly Dolphin, GemStone/S and Visual Works.

Now we have a commercial project and we are going to use Pharo :)

So we have some general questions.

1) Which version of Pharo to use in a production deployment 6.1 or 7.0 ?

2) We need a local database to Pharo app, which open source database is
better to use with Pharo: mysql, postgree or .... In term of packages for
Pharo.
There is https://guillep.github.io/DBXTalk/ but i do not know if is up to
date.

3) There is any documentation about deployment and maintenance for a Pharo +
Seaside app ?
I have found "2016-10-06-EnterprisePharo.pdf" but may there are other
sources...

regards,
bruno

Re: Pharo general questions for a commercial application

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Hi Bruno,

> On 20 Feb 2019, at 02:26, BrunoBB <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> My name is Bruno i'been using Smalltalk since 1999 for commercial
> applications, mostly Dolphin, GemStone/S and Visual Works.
>
> Now we have a commercial project and we are going to use Pharo :)

Great !

> So we have some general questions.
>
> 1) Which version of Pharo to use in a production deployment 6.1 or 7.0 ?

7.0.1 for sure.

> 2) We need a local database to Pharo app, which open source database is
> better to use with Pharo: mysql, postgree or .... In term of packages for
> Pharo.
> There is https://guillep.github.io/DBXTalk/ but i do not know if is up to
> date.

There are multiple options. I think with your background/experience, it comes down mostly to your own preferences. What do you like to use (SQL or not) ? How much assistance do you need (object mapper or not) ?

There are also

https://github.com/svenvc/P3 (a newer PostgreSQL client).

http://books.pharo.org/booklet-Voyage/ (non-SQL)

http://books.pharo.org/booklet-Glorp/ (Object Mapper)

> 3) There is any documentation about deployment and maintenance for a Pharo +
> Seaside app ?
> I have found "2016-10-06-EnterprisePharo.pdf" but may there are other
> sources...

Here too, you have many options, depending on style/experience. Like you said:

There is https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/DeploymentWeb/DeployForProduction.html ?

You can also study this https://github.com/svenvc/pharo-server-tools

In any case, this is a solved problem (apart from session sharing, but you can get far with session affinity).

Please keep on asking questions, so that we can help you with your technology/stack POC.

Sven

> regards,
> bruno

Re: Pharo general questions for a commercial application

BrunoBB
Sven,

Thanks for you answer and links.

SQL will be enough and no need for a complex ORM.

I will take a look at:
https://github.com/svenvc/pharo-server-tools

Thanks again !

regards,
bruno

PS: my client has an running Java app and need another app to do some
functionality and they will give Smalltalk (Pharo) and opportunity. The apps
will be connected through a database and web services.

Re: Pharo general questions for a commercial application

Esteban A. Maringolo
Hi Bruno,

Is good to see you here as well :)

1) 7.0+. If you're in Windows only 32 bit is supported.

2) For RDBMS forget about DBXTalk and Garage, I would suggest you go straight to the PostgreSQL client (P3) or SQLite. Those are maintained and used, the rest... who knows.
If you need ORM you can use Glorp with any of those.

3) As Sven mentioned there are many options, there is people using Docker containers managed by Docker Swarm, so the options are many. But if you use Seaside with stateful sessions (you'll need affinity by session or IP).

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo

El mar., 19 feb. 2019 a las 22:27, BrunoBB (<[hidden email]>) escribió:
[...]

darth-cheney
2) For RDBMS forget about DBXTalk and Garage, I would suggest you go straight to the PostgreSQL client (P3) or SQLite. Those are maintained and used, the rest... who knows.
If you need ORM you can use Glorp with any of those.

What about MySQL connectors -- is anyone in the community using this, and what are the most up to date packages?

Also I think we should add a DBs section to the Pharo Open Documentation (based on this email exchange).

Re: Pharo general questions for a commercial application

BrunoBB
Hi Esteban,

Nice to see you here too...

The web application will run Linux 64bits, the Pharo 64bits for Linux is
stable or i should use a 32bit VM ?

Thanks for all the information slowly but surely we will implement this app.

Also it seems that Pharo has a very active community !!!

regards,
bruno

Re: Pharo general questions for a commercial application

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Pharo 7/8 is 64-bits by default on macOS and Linux, no problems there.

> On 20 Feb 2019, at 17:23, BrunoBB <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Esteban,
>
> Nice to see you here too...
>
> The web application will run Linux 64bits, the Pharo 64bits for Linux is
> stable or i should use a 32bit VM ?
>
> Thanks for all the information slowly but surely we will implement this app.
>
> Also it seems that Pharo has a very active community !!!
>
> regards,
> bruno

Re: Pharo general questions for a commercial application

ducasse

> On 20 Feb 2019, at 17:23, BrunoBB <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Esteban,
>
> Nice to see you here too...
>
> The web application will run Linux 64bits, the Pharo 64bits for Linux is
> stable or i should use a 32bit VM ?
>
> Thanks for all the information slowly but surely we will implement this app.
>
> Also it seems that Pharo has a very active community !!!

It is :)