classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pharo hangout analysis

EstebanLM
Hi,

So well... the first Pharo Hangout Session has passed and in my opinion it was not terribly bad :)
There were present people who usually does not show up in the sprints for obvious reasons (they live far from Lille, like in Argentina).  
And we more or less worked in fixing bugs and talked about Pharo development, etc.

No one there worked like that before and we need to acquire more experience to do the kind of things that makes our team work better:  we need to learn how to explain our stuff, how to share our screen and do things, etc.

But I think as a first experience it was very positive.
At least, we could hang (out ;)) and share working context with people that we usually don't.
And I think all presents are a bit more aware of Pharo process now (not a lot more aware, but a bit :)

So... we will repeat this experience once a month, because I think they are very positive and we will improve them with practice.
But I also would like to add other ideas that came to my mind while sprinting.

For example, I think we succeed in create the feeling of "all of us are working together" that a sprint has, but we failed in pair program. So I would like to try remote-pair program too.
How can we manage it? well, instead an open sprint, we declare "I want to work on this issue", and we invite people to join... and we join two or three with same interest into a shared screen and with real participation.

What do you think?

cheers,
Esteban
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pharo hangout analysis

Stéphane Ducasse

On Oct 2, 2013, at 7:55 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So well... the first Pharo Hangout Session has passed and in my opinion it was not terribly bad :)
> There were present people who usually does not show up in the sprints for obvious reasons (they live far from Lille, like in Argentina).  
> And we more or less worked in fixing bugs and talked about Pharo development, etc.
>
> No one there worked like that before and we need to acquire more experience to do the kind of things that makes our team work better:  we need to learn how to explain our stuff, how to share our screen and do things, etc.
>
> But I think as a first experience it was very positive.
> At least, we could hang (out ;)) and share working context with people that we usually don't.
> And I think all presents are a bit more aware of Pharo process now (not a lot more aware, but a bit :)
>
> So... we will repeat this experience once a month, because I think they are very positive and we will improve them with practice.
> But I also would like to add other ideas that came to my mind while sprinting.
>
> For example, I think we succeed in create the feeling of "all of us are working together" that a sprint has, but we failed in pair program. So I would like to try remote-pair program too.
> How can we manage it? well, instead an open sprint, we declare "I want to work on this issue", and we invite people to join... and we join two or three with same interest into a shared screen and with real participation.
>
> What do you think?

Yes it would be good.
And we should use larger fonts. I do not get why I could not hear people talking but this is another story :)

stef
>
> cheers,
> Esteban

Reply | Threaded
|

fvozzi
In reply to this post by EstebanLM
Esteban,
I joined to the hangout session and I think it was ok. I was at my work so I could just heard the conversation, like a radio. Anyway, I watched the handout screen at times and I was interesting.

I think that could be very interesting to do pair programming on some issues. So, go ahead with it. Maybe, It'll be interesting to let pleople connect to the session, just to see too.

Regards,
Facu

ps.: I hope to see you next week in Argentine. The other Esteban (EAM) said to me that you're coming here next week. 

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

So well... the first Pharo Hangout Session has passed and in my opinion it was not terribly bad :)
There were present people who usually does not show up in the sprints for obvious reasons (they live far from Lille, like in Argentina).
And we more or less worked in fixing bugs and talked about Pharo development, etc.

No one there worked like that before and we need to acquire more experience to do the kind of things that makes our team work better:  we need to learn how to explain our stuff, how to share our screen and do things, etc.

At least, we could hang (out ;)) and share working context with people that we usually don't.
And I think all presents are a bit more aware of Pharo process now (not a lot more aware, but a bit :)

So... we will repeat this experience once a month, because I think they are very positive and we will improve them with practice.

For example, I think we succeed in create the feeling of "all of us are working together" that a sprint has, but we failed in pair program. So I would like to try remote-pair program too.
How can we manage it? well, instead an open sprint, we declare "I want to work on this issue", and we invite people to join... and we join two or three with same interest into a shared screen and with real participation.

What do you think?

cheers,
Esteban

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse

On Oct 2, 2013, at 8:20 PM, Facundo Vozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

Esteban,
I joined to the hangout session and I think it was ok. I was at my work so I could just heard the conversation, like a radio. Anyway, I watched the handout screen at times and I was interesting.

I think that could be very interesting to do pair programming on some issues. So, go ahead with it. Maybe, It'll be interesting to let pleople connect to the session, just to see too.

Regards,
Facu

ps.: I hope to see you next week in Argentine. The other Esteban (EAM) said to me that you're coming here next week. 
yes he is :)

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

What do you think?

cheers,
Esteban

Reply | Threaded
|

kilon
Definitely a success story as a first. The one thing missing as I pointed out is meeting notes, so people who connect have an idea where you are and what you doing, so they don't have to ask you each time someone joins. As I found it this is possible through the hangout apps -> Google Drive -> hangout notes.

I think it will be better if you follow a schedule , or at least pick a theme (or multiple) for each meeting. It will give it a purpose and make it look less random.

I really loved the share screen experience, seeing you code has been a valuable lesson and I would love to watch more coding sessions and eventually participating myself when I feel more confident with Pharo. I also really liked the fact that the meeting lasted so long.

The idea of video recording those sessions for later watching is also very appealing to me.

Well done :)
Reply | Threaded
|

Guillermo Polito
I was too immerse in my own stuff, next time I'll try to collaborate a bit more :).

In any case, it was fun for me, and much more friendly than the irc channel :P.

When's the next one?

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 9:55 PM, kilon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Definitely a success story as a first. The one thing missing as I pointed out
is meeting notes, so people who connect have an idea where you are and what
you doing, so they don't have to ask you each time someone joins. As I found
it this is possible through the hangout apps -> Google Drive -> hangout
notes.

I think it will be better if you follow a schedule , or at least pick a
theme (or multiple) for each meeting. It will give it a purpose and make it
look less random.

I really loved the share screen experience, seeing you code has been a
valuable lesson and I would love to watch more coding sessions and
eventually participating myself when I feel more confident with Pharo. I
also really liked the fact that the meeting lasted so long.

The idea of video recording those sessions for later watching is also very
appealing to me.

Well done :)

--
View this message in context: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-hangout-analysis-tp4712008p4712043.html
Sent from the Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Reply | Threaded
|

Esteban A. Maringolo
The hangout took place during my regular working hours, so for those
like me that must work according to a schedule it wasn't easy to do
much more than "radio listening" and some chat.

Anyhow, I'm happy with the outcome.

I think more hangouts should be done, one per month is few. Maybe two
would be a good number, each scheduled to make it possible for those
living past Greenwich, and those living a few hours behind it like us.

It will require some time to get speed and used to the tools, but I
think it will be worth the effort.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

2013/10/2 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:

> Hi,
>
> So well... the first Pharo Hangout Session has passed and in my opinion it was not terribly bad :)
> There were present people who usually does not show up in the sprints for obvious reasons (they live far from Lille, like in Argentina).
> And we more or less worked in fixing bugs and talked about Pharo development, etc.
>
> No one there worked like that before and we need to acquire more experience to do the kind of things that makes our team work better:  we need to learn how to explain our stuff, how to share our screen and do things, etc.
>
> But I think as a first experience it was very positive.
> At least, we could hang (out ;)) and share working context with people that we usually don't.
> And I think all presents are a bit more aware of Pharo process now (not a lot more aware, but a bit :)
>
> So... we will repeat this experience once a month, because I think they are very positive and we will improve them with practice.
> But I also would like to add other ideas that came to my mind while sprinting.
>
> For example, I think we succeed in create the feeling of "all of us are working together" that a sprint has, but we failed in pair program. So I would like to try remote-pair program too.
> How can we manage it? well, instead an open sprint, we declare "I want to work on this issue", and we invite people to join... and we join two or three with same interest into a shared screen and with real participation.
>
> What do you think?
>
> cheers,
> Esteban