Pharo help (was About danny help :)

Torsten Bergmann
Stef wrote:
>I noticed it :)

So I renamed the topic ;)

>we are not in rush.

Good. I trimmed the model down this evening to just one class
and even the help browser is now much more flexible (already
displaying static and dynamic help)

>But I'm pragmatic.
> - how to we fill up the help

With the new simpler model you will be able to
easily transform various sources ... for instance I think on
even getting RSS feeds, IRC, list archive ... included
by loading additional packages. I'm sure we will get more ideas
once this all works.

>For the UML I would like to have a simple sccripting descriptoin so that we can >define it.

Do you know yuml.me?

http://yuml.me/diagram/class/class/[Collection],[Collection]-[CharacterSet]

The interesting thing is that we can even built this into the help browser
today using HTTP and images - but one has to be online.

However ... first I want to get the right infrastructure. More coming soon.

If one wants to help: create a good HTML viewer based on the reworked
Scamper (see http://www.squeaksource.com/LaurentLSandbox.html).

Bye
T.

jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/chbrowser

Re: Pharo help (was About danny help :)

laurent laffont

>For the UML I would like to have a simple sccripting descriptoin so that we can >define it.

Do you know yuml.me

The interesting thing is that we can even built this into the help browser
today using HTTP and images - but one has to be online.

However ... first I want to get the right infrastructure. More coming soon.

I wanted to try it .... but time missing for me now.

I use yuml.me for http://magaloma.seasidehosting.st/ , select a package then click on "Inheritance diagram".

You can load it, package SimpleWebDoc on squeaksource.You can look at SWYumlMe and SWYumlInheritanceDiagramTest classes.

Laurent Laffont

If one wants to help: create a good HTML viewer based on the reworked
Scamper (see http://www.squeaksource.com/LaurentLSandbox.html).

Bye
T.

jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/chbrowser

Re: Pharo help (was About danny help :)

Danny Chan

Hi Torsten!

I am the first to acknowledge that this is your project. And I am also the first
one to admit that my code is not great, being a beginner with Smalltalk in the
first place, not being a software developer secondly (I develop optical systems
in my day job), and playing with software only in my spare time (which will be
certainly much less in the future, because I just got a brand new daughter).
So please see my contributions more as sketches of the functionality that
might be nice to have in a help system, rather than a real implementation. I
am completely happy if people get a rough idea of what might be desireable,
and then throw away the whole mess I've made and do it right! So please, scrap
the stuff and implement it cleanly, because only by seeing what you are doing
with the code I am learning.

Cheers, Danny

On Mar 6, 2010, at 1:27 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Stef wrote:
>> I noticed it :)
>
> So I renamed the topic ;)
>
>> we are not in rush.
>
> Good. I trimmed the model down this evening to just one class
> and even the help browser is now much more flexible (already
> displaying static and dynamic help)
>
>> But I'm pragmatic.
>> - how to we fill up the help
>
> With the new simpler model you will be able to
> easily transform various sources ... for instance I think on
> even getting RSS feeds, IRC, list archive ... included
> by loading additional packages. I'm sure we will get more ideas
> once this all works.
>
>> For the UML I would like to have a simple sccripting descriptoin so that we can >define it.
>
> Do you know yuml.me?

Yes I do not want to rely on the web for UML class.
I want something inside.

Stef

On Mar 6, 2010, at 9:01 AM, Danny Chan wrote:

> Hi Torsten!
>
> I am the first to acknowledge that this is your project. And I am also the first
> one to admit that my code is not great, being a beginner with Smalltalk in the
> first place,

But this was great.
I think that torsten was not negative

> not being a software developer secondly (I develop optical systems
> in my day job), and playing with software only in my spare time (which will be
> certainly much less in the future, because I just got a brand new daughter).

Excellent!
It depends if it lets u sleep!

> So please see my contributions more as sketches of the functionality that
> might be nice to have in a help system, rather than a real implementation. I
> am completely happy if people get a rough idea of what might be desireable,
> and then throw away the whole mess I've made and do it right! So please, scrap
> the stuff and implement it cleanly, because only by seeing what you are doing
> with the code I am learning.

Excellent!

Thanks again for the stamp :)

Am Samstag, 6. März 2010 09:19:24 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse:
> On Mar 6, 2010, at 9:01 AM, Danny Chan wrote:
> > Hi Torsten!
> >
> > I am the first to acknowledge that this is your project. And I am also
> > the first one to admit that my code is not great, being a beginner with
> > Smalltalk in the first place,
>
> But this was great.
> I think that torsten was not negative

I did not think that this was the case. I just want to make explicit that I
positively appreciate having someone with more experience rewrite my code. By
seeing how someone else implements the ideas more cleanly I can only learn.

Danny