Pharo image corruption and fatal VM error with Roassal

12

Pharo image corruption and fatal VM error with Roassal

Blondeau Vincent

Hi,

Yesterday, I was using GraphET (a part of Roassal) to do some charts and, today, when I wanted to reopen the image.

And I got that :

It is *very* unpleasant…

To reproduce the bug:

1 - You can do either:

                                | builder |

                                builder := GET2Line data: (0 to: 100) .

                                builder

                                                y: [ :x | x*x ].

                                builder open.

Or

WorldMenu -> Roassal examples -> choose an item -> click on a graph . A TRMorph should be opened.

2 - don’t close the graph and save the pharo image.

3 – Close the pharo image

4 - Reopen it

I am under W7 x64 with the latest moose image and the VM available on the pharo.org website (http://files.pharo.org/platform/Pharo3.0-win.zip) from the 10 july.

You will find the crash dump attached.

Thankfully, I managed to open the image with a latest VM (http://www.mirandabanda.org/files/Cog/VM/VM.r3056/cogwin-14.29.3056.zip).

Thanks a lot Eliot ! :)

And I got this:

Thanks in advance

Cheers,

Vincent BLONDEAU

Ce message et les pièces jointes sont confidentiels et réservés à l'usage exclusif de ses destinataires. Il peut également être protégé par le secret professionnel. Si vous recevez ce message par erreur, merci d'en avertir immédiatement l'expéditeur et de le détruire. L'intégrité du message ne pouvant être assurée sur Internet, la responsabilité de Worldline ne pourra être recherchée quant au contenu de ce message. Bien que les meilleurs efforts soient faits pour maintenir cette transmission exempte de tout virus, l'expéditeur ne donne aucune garantie à cet égard et sa responsabilité ne saurait être recherchée pour tout dommage résultant d'un virus transmis.

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

crash.dmp (21K) Download Attachment

Re: Pharo image corruption and fatal VM error with Roassal

HilaireFernandes
Looks like Cairo can't be loaded.
Does the Eliot VM comes with libCairo?

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istao.drgeo.eu

Re: Pharo image corruption and fatal VM error with Roassal

Usman Bhatti
This may be related to this known issue reported a few days back.

And there is a possible solution to recover your image.

usman

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:50 AM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

The Eliot VM doesn't comes with libCairo and Roassal doesn't work into. But it's helpful to reopen the image to retrieve the work done !

> [...]

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

Re: Pharo image corruption and fatal VM error with Roassal

Yes it is. But I will not do

TRMorph allInstances do: #delete

In command line every day…

Vincent

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes it is. But I will not do

TRMorph allInstances do: #delete

In command line every day…

It is only intended to recover your lost work in the image not for everyday use :).

Vincent

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

Re: Pharo image corruption and fatal VM error with Roassal

Nicolai Hess
It looks like Trachel does not recreate athens external resources.
There is an example in AthensSceneView, on how to check and reload
an AthensSurface.

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes it is. But I will not do

TRMorph allInstances do: #delete

In command line every day…

It is only intended to recover your lost work in the image not for everyday use :).

Vincent

Re: [Moose-dev] Pharo image corruption and fatal VM error with Roassal

abergel
Yes, and this is a mess.
I’ve spent quite some time in getting the session working with Roassal2 and it still does not work. I would appreciate help on this.

Alexandre

On Jul 31, 2014, at 8:58 AM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It looks like Trachel does not recreate athens external resources.
> There is an example in AthensSceneView, on how to check and reload
> an AthensSurface.

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes it is. But I will not do
>
> TRMorph allInstances do: #delete
>
> In command line every day…
>

> It is only intended to recover your lost work in the image not for everyday use :).
>

> Vincent

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: [Moose-dev] Pharo image corruption and fatal VM error with Roassal

Igor Stasenko
The recipe is simple: isolate the code in your application in a way that if certain feature not available (line nativeboost), it won't put your image into endless exception throwing loop.

On 31 July 2014 16:09, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes, and this is a mess.
I’ve spent quite some time in getting the session working with Roassal2 and it still does not work. I would appreciate help on this.

Alexandre

On Jul 31, 2014, at 8:58 AM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It looks like Trachel does not recreate athens external resources.
> There is an example in AthensSceneView, on how to check and reload
> an AthensSurface.

> On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes it is. But I will not do
>
> TRMorph allInstances do: #delete
>
> In command line every day…
>

> It is only intended to recover your lost work in the image not for everyday use :).
>

> Vincent

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: [Moose-dev] Pharo image corruption and fatal VM error with Roassal

Jean Baptiste Arnaud
Look like a very common Nativeboost error, if a external object is access without checking if we are on the same session (memory has changed so ...).

If it is that:
The clean solution:
- check the nativeboost session on external object accesses. Or at least the risky one. Should be done in the application that used NB.

Another solution to fixed a corrupted image:
- open with StackVM (no nativeboost).
 - ugly but can save you: try to identify a suite of bytecode that is executed at launch use hex Editor and replace the first by return Self : 0x78, you should be able to reopend the image if a DNU pop DO NOT touch it :-)
- use Oz project to extract code
Extract your code and rebuild fresh image

On 31 Jul 2014, at 16:09, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Best Regards
Dr Arnaud

Re: Pharo image corruption and fatal VM error with Roassal

stepharo
vincent

you can take an image/change copy
your change as the change of the new image
and do recovery last changes and you get all your changes back.

Now before concluding that this is pharo's fault... we should check
cairo and roassal's athens usage.

Stef

On 31/7/14 10:50, Blondeau Vincent wrote:

[...]

You should report it to the Pharo mailing-list with a reproducible case because else it will get unnoticed.
Not all the Pharo people are reading the Moose mailing-list.

Stef

On 31/7/14 11:17, Blondeau Vincent wrote:

Yes it is. But I will not do

TRMorph allInstances do: #delete

In command line every day…

Vincent

This e-mail and the documents attached are confidential and intended solely for the addressee; it may also be privileged. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy it. As its integrity cannot be secured on the Internet, the Worldline liability cannot be triggered for the message content. Although the sender endeavours to maintain a computer virus-free network, the sender does not warrant that this transmission is virus-free and will not be liable for any damages resulting from any virus transmitted.

Re: [Moose-dev] Pharo image corruption and fatal VM error with Roassal

stepharo
Alexandre

may be you should try to understand what is a session.
Because this is about 2 lines of code.

When you open an image you save 2 min ago or 2 years ago, how the system
knows that an OS ressources is valid?
By checking the session id...

Stef

On 31/7/14 16:09, Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Yes, and this is a mess.
> I’ve spent quite some time in getting the session working with Roassal2 and it still does not work. I would appreciate help on this.
>
> Alexandre
>

> On Jul 31, 2014, at 8:58 AM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> It looks like Trachel does not recreate athens external resources.
>> There is an example in AthensSceneView, on how to check and reload
>> an AthensSurface.

>> On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Yes it is. But I will not do
>>
>> TRMorph allInstances do: #delete
>>
>> In command line every day…
>>

>> It is only intended to recover your lost work in the image not for everyday use :).
>>

>> Vincent

Is is not that easy :)
TRMorph already checks for a new session.
TRCanvas not, but could be done the same way - maybe. It is difficult as TRCanvas are shared by different objects.
And it is more difficult for TRShape.

I know Igors argument against a session management in Athens for
recreating cairo resources on image start up. It is not the job of Athens.

But it is a bit different for resources created through Athens core api.
How can the user (TRShape for example) know, that a path created by
an Athens surface referes to an external resource?

The attached changeset implements a simple check for TRCanvas and
resets paths if the canvas changes. This solves the crash on
image start up.But it is not a good solution.

The recipe is simple: isolate the code in your application in a way that if certain feature not available (line nativeboost), it won't put your image into endless exception throwing loop.

That's another story. The projects I have seen, using athens, do this with an explicit use
on AthensCairoSurface. Is there already a way to instantiate an AthensSurface depending on the
available libraries? And AthensBalloon and AthensCairo don't differ only in rendering quality, so there
is no real fallback option.

fix_trachel_athens_session.cs (5K) Download Attachment

Re: [Moose-dev] Pharo image corruption and fatal VM error with Roassal

abergel
Oh… We should not only check the session for the surface? Wow… this is rather heavy then...

Alexandre

On Jul 31, 2014, at 5:03 PM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is is not that easy :)
> TRMorph already checks for a new session.
> TRCanvas not, but could be done the same way - maybe. It is difficult as TRCanvas are shared by different objects.
> And it is more difficult for TRShape.
>
> I know Igors argument against a session management in Athens for
> recreating cairo resources on image start up. It is not the job of Athens.
>
> But it is a bit different for resources created through Athens core api.
> How can the user (TRShape for example) know, that a path created by
> an Athens surface referes to an external resource?
>
> The attached changeset implements a simple check for TRCanvas and
> resets paths if the canvas changes. This solves the crash on
> image start up.But it is not a good solution.

> The recipe is simple: isolate the code in your application in a way that if certain feature not available (line nativeboost), it won't put your image into endless exception throwing loop.
>

> That's another story. The projects I have seen, using athens, do this with an explicit use
> on AthensCairoSurface. Is there already a way to instantiate an AthensSurface depending on the
> available libraries? And AthensBalloon and AthensCairo don't differ only in rendering quality, so there
> is no real fallback option.
>

> On 31 July 2014 16:09, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Yes, and this is a mess.
> I’ve spent quite some time in getting the session working with Roassal2 and it still does not work. I would appreciate help on this.
>
> Alexandre
>

> On Jul 31, 2014, at 8:58 AM, Nicolai Hess <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > It looks like Trachel does not recreate athens external resources.
> > There is an example in AthensSceneView, on how to check and reload
> > an AthensSurface.

> > On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 11:17 AM, Blondeau Vincent <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Yes it is. But I will not do
> >
> > TRMorph allInstances do: #delete
> >
> > In command line every day…
> >

> > It is only intended to recover your lost work in the image not for everyday use :).
> >

> > Vincent

Ciprian Teodorov-3

On Jul 31, 2014 11:03 PM, "Nicolai Hess" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is is not that easy :)
> TRMorph already checks for a new session.
> TRCanvas not, but could be done the same way - maybe. It is difficult as TRCanvas are shared by different objects.
> And it is more difficult for TRShape.
>
> I know Igors argument against a session management in Athens for
> recreating cairo resources on image start up. It is not the job of Athens.

Maybe session management should be implemented by the cairo binding (or an abstraction on top of it, that is then used by athens). This way we don't clutter Athens with such low level stuff, and we offer the user a high-level usable cairo binding, which can be also used outside athens.

Cheers,
Ciprian

> But it is a bit different for resources created through Athens core api.
> How can the user (TRShape for example) know, that a path created by
> an Athens surface referes to an external resource?
>
> The attached changeset implements a simple check for TRCanvas and
> resets paths if the canvas changes. This solves the crash on
> image start up.But it is not a good solution.

>> The recipe is simple: isolate the code in your application in a way that if certain feature not available (line nativeboost), it won't put your image into endless exception throwing loop.
>>

> That's another story. The projects I have seen, using athens, do this with an explicit use
> on AthensCairoSurface. Is there already a way to instantiate an AthensSurface depending on the
> available libraries? And AthensBalloon and AthensCairo don't differ only in rendering quality, so there
> is no real fallback option.
>

>> On 31 July 2014 16:09, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, and this is a mess.
>>> I’ve spent quite some time in getting the session working with Roassal2 and it still does not work. I would appreciate help on this.
>>>
>>> Alexandre

Eliot Miranda-2

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 8:56 PM, Ciprian Teodorov <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Jul 31, 2014 11:03 PM, "Nicolai Hess" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is is not that easy :)
> TRMorph already checks for a new session.
> TRCanvas not, but could be done the same way - maybe. It is difficult as TRCanvas are shared by different objects.
> And it is more difficult for TRShape.
>
> I know Igors argument against a session management in Athens for
> recreating cairo resources on image start up. It is not the job of Athens.

Maybe session management should be implemented by the cairo binding (or an abstraction on top of it, that is then used by athens). This way we don't clutter Athens with such low level stuff, and we offer the user a high-level usable cairo binding, which can be also used outside athens.

+1.  In other analogous situations (e.g. the VisualWorks FFI, external font references, etc) it is the layer that creates those external resources that has the job of voiding them on startup.  It's an approach that works well in practice.

Cheers,
Ciprian

best,
Eliot

On 1/8/14 08:56, Ciprian Teodorov wrote:

On Jul 31, 2014 11:03 PM, "Nicolai Hess" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is is not that easy :)
> TRMorph already checks for a new session.
> TRCanvas not, but could be done the same way - maybe. It is difficult as TRCanvas are shared by different objects.
> And it is more difficult for TRShape.
>
> I know Igors argument against a session management in Athens for
> recreating cairo resources on image start up. It is not the job of Athens.

Maybe session management should be implemented by the cairo binding (or an abstraction on top of it, that is then used by athens).

It will when the system will be fully athens based. Now each client should handle it his way.

This way we don't clutter Athens with such low level stuff, and we offer the user a high-level usable cairo binding, which can be also used outside athens.

Cheers,
Ciprian

> But it is a bit different for resources created through Athens core api.
> How can the user (TRShape for example) know, that a path created by
> an Athens surface referes to an external resource?
>
> The attached changeset implements a simple check for TRCanvas and
> resets paths if the canvas changes. This solves the crash on
> image start up.But it is not a good solution.

>> The recipe is simple: isolate the code in your application in a way that if certain feature not available (line nativeboost), it won't put your image into endless exception throwing loop.
>>

> That's another story. The projects I have seen, using athens, do this with an explicit use
> on AthensCairoSurface. Is there already a way to instantiate an AthensSurface depending on the
> available libraries? And AthensBalloon and AthensCairo don't differ only in rendering quality, so there
> is no real fallback option.
>

>> On 31 July 2014 16:09, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, and this is a mess.
>>> I’ve spent quite some time in getting the session working with Roassal2 and it still does not work. I would appreciate help on this.
>>>
>>> Alexandre

Ok that is cool. But the things that I wrote in the Workspace, I can’t get them back?

Vincent

your change as the change of the new image
and do recovery last changes and you get all your changes back.

Ok that is cool. But the things that I wrote in the Workspace, I can’t get them back?

try e.g. strings - foo.image | tr \\015 \\012 | grep.  Or load the image in the VM simulator and search.  Or load the image in gdb and search.

they're in there somewhere.  just takes some digging.

Vincent