Pharo in Debian

philippeback
Hello

I am currently attempting to build the VM on Debian Linux (I grew
tired of OSX lack of support for tools like Sourcenavigator and the
like and Macports breaking all the time with the Xcode 4.x and so on).

So, a question came to minid: Is there any reason why there is a
squeak package in the Debian Linux but nothing about Pharo?

(Or I didn't find it)

I'd love to be able to do apt-get install pharo and just run. This
would be nice to have just that, especially now that we can run
headless, etc...

I don't have a clue about Debian packaging but as there is already
squeak, we may be able to reuse a bit.

Phil

Re: Pharo in Debian

Damien Cassou
Hi Philippe,

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I don't have a clue about Debian packaging but as there is already
> squeak, we may be able to reuse a bit.

it would be great if you could have a look at that.

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: Pharo in Debian

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 22 Feb 2013, at 10:16, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Philippe,
>
> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I don't have a clue about Debian packaging but as there is already
>> squeak, we may be able to reuse a bit.
>

> it would be great if you could have a look at that.

Yes, that would indeed be super, but it is slightly more complicated than that.

In order to get your package into the official repositories, you need to follow a lot of rules and processes, and it is quite slow and conservative (months if not years), all to increase quality and stability. I am not sure it matches well with Pharo's development velocity.

The One-Click, the scripts that Camillo did or just a plain VM download with basic documentation (like a read me ;-) are not that bad. We should make an effort to improve what we have.

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: Pharo in Debian

NorbertHartl

Am 22.02.2013 um 10:28 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:

On 22 Feb 2013, at 10:16, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Philippe,

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I don't have a clue about Debian packaging but as there is already
squeak, we may be able to reuse a bit.

it would be great if you could have a look at that.

Yes, that would indeed be super, but it is slightly more complicated than that.

In order to get your package into the official repositories, you need to follow a lot of rules and processes, and it is quite slow and conservative (months if not years), all to increase quality and stability. I am not sure it matches well with Pharo's development velocity.

The One-Click, the scripts that Camillo did or just a plain VM download with basic documentation (like a read me ;-) are not that bad. We should make an effort to improve what we have.

I don't see much of a reason to go for the official distribution. Debian is very special in that case and the last attempts to do it have shown that the two systems (debian and pharo) are no good match process wise. To the rescue there is launchpad [1] and PPAs (personal package archives).
You can open a project in launchpad and make a PPA for your own package. The final installation instructions are somthing like

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:LAUNCHPAD-USER/PPA-NAME

and then

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install PACKAGENAME

I assume that the ease of installing is the main target and that you can get with PPA.

my two cents,

Norbert

Re: Pharo in Debian

philippeback

I do not really care about being in the official repositories at this
point, but rather be able to add our own to the list of repositories
(even by hand) so that we can get apt-get install pharovm and apt-get
install pharo20 just do their trick.

There is a ton of software requiring addition of their repos so it is
a doable route IMV.

Then we could think about going into the offical repos.

Anyway, I now have a fresh Debian 6 up and running, along with SVN.
Next step, get the VM sources, build for linux, get the VM running.
Then, package the whole thing. Hopefully doable in beta form for
april.

Phil

2013/2/22 Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:

> On 22 Feb 2013, at 10:16, Damien Cassou <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi Philippe,
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I don't have a clue about Debian packaging but as there is already
>>> squeak, we may be able to reuse a bit.
>>

>> it would be great if you could have a look at that.
>
> Yes, that would indeed be super, but it is slightly more complicated than that.
>
> In order to get your package into the official repositories, you need to follow a lot of rules and processes, and it is quite slow and conservative (months if not years), all to increase quality and stability. I am not sure it matches well with Pharo's development velocity.
>
> The One-Click, the scripts that Camillo did or just a plain VM download with basic documentation (like a read me ;-) are not that bad. We should make an effort to improve what we have.
>
> Sven
>
>> --
>> Damien Cassou
>> http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st
>>
>> "Success is the ability to go from one failure to another without
>> losing enthusiasm."
>> Winston Churchill
>
> --
> Sven Van Caekenberghe
> http://stfx.eu
> Smalltalk is the Red Pill

Re: Pharo in Debian

Damien Cassou
On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 10:53 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Anyway, I now have a fresh Debian 6 up and running, along with SVN.
> Next step, get the VM sources, build for linux, get the VM running.
> Then, package the whole thing. Hopefully doable in beta form for
> april.

that would be awesome

--
Damien Cassou
http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st

losing enthusiasm."
Winston Churchill

Re: Pharo in Debian

philippeback
VM runs already.

Now, packaging. but not today nor tomorrow as I am busy w/ client work.