Pharo in OpenShift

garduino
Hi People:

I'm doing some efforts to make Pharo work in OpenShift (the cloud initiative of Red Hat) using the DIY (do it yourself) cartridge.

I started trying with Swazoo, but looks like SwazooServer is ignoring the ip address specified and binding to all interfaces (0.0.0.0) (Was an advice of a RedHat engineer).

Then tried with Zinc (thanks Sven by the off list help [1]) and seems to work now (Using #bindingAddress:).

I need still to polish a ton of things (the code itself, that not always work ok reading the RedHat environment (I'm doing via OSProcess), also I need to discover some random issues opening the authorized port, and finally develop the automation scripts to start/stop/restart). But I'm happy because is proved that the cog vm 2540 + Pharo 1.4 with Zinc works ok in OpenShift, as you can see at: http://zinc-garduino.rhcloud.com/

When I have more progress I will comment and document, my goal is that Smalltalk get included as an option in OpenShift (as currently are php, python, java, ruby). We are not second class citizens :)

I must also say a big thanks  to several people of Red Hat because they have showed your interest in Pharo and helped me a lot.

The interesting part of OpenShift is that in the Express version 1.5 GB RAM and 3 GB disk space are availables for free!

Well, it's all for now, cheers!

[1] Sven, the latest mcz published today of ZincHTTPComponents seems to have some issues with the newest method #bindingAddress: (I don't have time now, but will try to reproduce in the next days if you need).

Re: Pharo in OpenShift

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Hi Gérman,

On 16 Apr 2012, at 03:59, garduino wrote:

> Hi People:
>
> I'm doing some efforts to make Pharo work in OpenShift (the cloud initiative
> of Red Hat) using the DIY (do it yourself) cartridge.
>
> I started trying with Swazoo, but looks like SwazooServer is ignoring the ip
> address specified and binding to all interfaces (0.0.0.0) (Was an advice of
> a RedHat engineer).
>
> Then tried with Zinc (thanks Sven by the off list help [1]) and seems to
> work now (Using #bindingAddress:).
>
> I need still to polish a ton of things (the code itself, that not always
> work ok reading the RedHat environment (I'm doing via OSProcess), also I
> need to discover some random issues opening the authorized port, and finally
> develop the automation scripts to start/stop/restart). But I'm happy because
> is proved that the cog vm 2540 + Pharo 1.4 with Zinc works ok in OpenShift,
> as you can see at: http://zinc-garduino.rhcloud.com/
That is great news indeed.

An alternative to getting the environment variables with OSProcess would be to pass their values to the image via the command line.

I have a script to control an image in the way unix expects it, it is part of this demo:

 http://forum.world.st/Updated-Pharo-HTTP-Server-Single-Command-Line-Demo-td4404118.html

> When I have more progress I will comment and document, my goal is that
> Smalltalk get included as an option in OpenShift (as currently are php,
> python, java, ruby). We are not second class citizens :)

Yes, please do write about it.

> I must also say a big thanks  to several people of Red Hat because they have
> showed your interest in Pharo and helped me a lot.
>
> The interesting part of OpenShift is that in the Express version 1.5 GB RAM
> and 3 GB disk space are availables for free!

Is that temporary or for real ?

> Well, it's all for now, cheers!
>

> [1] Sven, the latest mcz published today of ZincHTTPComponents seems to have
> some issues with the newest method #bindingAddress: (I don't have time now,
> but will try to reproduce in the next days if you need).

Ah, yes, I did a checkin from another image and I forgot to merge:

Name: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.258
Author: SvenVanCaekenberghe
Time: 16 April 2012, 6:25:41 am
UUID: 0c026aa8-59d1-42db-a714-8079feca26d3
Ancestors: Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.257, Zinc-HTTP-SvenVanCaekenberghe.256

merging forgotten 255 & 256 into 257

Sven

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: Pharo in OpenShift

Excellent!!!!

> I'm doing some efforts to make Pharo work in OpenShift (the cloud initiative
> of Red Hat) using the DIY (do it yourself) cartridge.
>
> I started trying with Swazoo, but looks like SwazooServer is ignoring the ip
> address specified and binding to all interfaces (0.0.0.0) (Was an advice of
> a RedHat engineer).
>
> Then tried with Zinc (thanks Sven by the off list help [1]) and seems to
> work now (Using #bindingAddress:).
>
> I need still to polish a ton of things (the code itself, that not always
> work ok reading the RedHat environment (I'm doing via OSProcess), also I
> need to discover some random issues opening the authorized port, and finally
> develop the automation scripts to start/stop/restart). But I'm happy because
> is proved that the cog vm 2540 + Pharo 1.4 with Zinc works ok in OpenShift,
> as you can see at: http://zinc-garduino.rhcloud.com/
>
> When I have more progress I will comment and document, my goal is that
> Smalltalk get included as an option in OpenShift (as currently are php,
> python, java, ruby). We are not second class citizens :)
>
> I must also say a big thanks  to several people of Red Hat because they have
> showed your interest in Pharo and helped me a lot.
>
> The interesting part of OpenShift is that in the Express version 1.5 GB RAM
> and 3 GB disk space are availables for free!
>

> Well, it's all for now, cheers!
>

> [1] Sven, the latest mcz published today of ZincHTTPComponents seems to have
> some issues with the newest method #bindingAddress: (I don't have time now,
> but will try to reproduce in the next days if you need).

Re: Pharo in OpenShift

garduino
Hi Sven:

> That is great news indeed.

Thanks!

>An alternative to getting the environment variables with OSProcess would be to pass their values to the >image via the command line.

>I have a script to control an image in the way unix expects it, it is part of this demo:

> http://forum.world.st/Updated-Pharo-HTTP-Server-Single-Command-Line-Demo-td4404118.html

Thanks, I was justing thinking in take this way, to avoid the issues I'm having with OSProcess (I have not still discovered the origins).

>Yes, please do write about it.

Sure, I will do.

Cheers.

Re: Pharo in OpenShift

garduino
Thanks, I hope can polish all the details in the next weeks, to publish a complete "recipe"

And still best if Red Hat can offer a way of use Smalltalk as a "supported language".

Cheers.

Re: Pharo in OpenShift

philippeback
Send me the link once it is ready so that I can add it to the symbaloo webmix

http://www.symbaloo.com/mix/pharo

Philippe

2012/4/16 garduino <[hidden email]>
Hi Sven:

> That is great news indeed.

Thanks!

>An alternative to getting the environment variables with OSProcess would be
to pass their values to the >image via the command line.

>I have a script to control an image in the way unix expects it, it is part
of this demo:

> http://forum.world.st/Updated-Pharo-HTTP-Server-Single-Command-Line-Demo-td4404118.html

Thanks, I was justing thinking in take this way, to avoid the issues I'm
having with OSProcess (I have not still discovered the origins).

>Yes, please do write about it.

Sure, I will do.

Cheers.

Philippe Back
"Helping you hit the top 3 outcomes you really want to achieve"

Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail: [hidden email] | Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:

High Octane SPRL
rue cour Boisacq 101
1301 Bierges

Re: Pharo in OpenShift

garduino
Sorry Philippe I miss this mail, and I'm not working on this topic
currently (and I'm not checking anymore pharo lists for now, not in a
daily basis at least).

But certainly pharo+zinc work ok in OpenShift, with a bit of work (But
I have not time currently to polish a public example, sorry really).

Cheers.

2012/4/16 philippeback [via Smalltalk]
<[hidden email]>:

> Send me the link once it is ready so that I can add it to the symbaloo
> webmix
>
> http://www.symbaloo.com/mix/pharo
>
> Philippe
>
> 2012/4/16 garduino <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hi Sven:
>>
>> > That is great news indeed.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> >An alternative to getting the environment variables with OSProcess would
>> > be
>> to pass their values to the >image via the command line.
>>
>> >I have a script to control an image in the way unix expects it, it is
>> > part
>> of this demo:
>>

>> > http://forum.world.st/Updated-Pharo-HTTP-Server-Single-Command-Line-Demo-td4404118.html
>>

>> Thanks, I was justing thinking in take this way, to avoid the issues I'm
>> having with OSProcess (I have not still discovered the origins).
>>

>> >Yes, please do write about it.
>>
>> Sure, I will do.
>>
>> Cheers.
>>
>> --

> Philippe Back
> "Helping you hit the top 3 outcomes you really want to achieve"
>
> Mob: +32(0) 478 650 140 | Fax: +32 (0) 70 408 027 Mail: [hidden email] |
> Web: http://philippeback.eu | Blog:
> http://philippeback.be
>
> High Octane SPRL
> rue cour Boisacq 101
> 1301 Bierges

> NAML

Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
Arduino Software  http://www.arduinosoftware.com
PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com
greensecure.blogspot.com germanarduino.blogpost.com