Pharo instead of Node.js

Spyryto
Hello.

Now that Amber has bootstrapped, and Amber code is compiled into Javascript
by the frontend, why the need to use a Node.js backend?

Why not manage dependencies and tasks from a Pharo image? Why use tools
like Bower and Grunt, which are written in JS? I really don't think Javascript has
any edge over Smalltalk.

Just wondering.
Greetings,

Spyryto

Re: Pharo instead of Node.js

NorbertHartl
Hi,
> Am 24.04.2015 um 13:01 schrieb Spyryto <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hello.
>
> Now that Amber has bootstrapped, and Amber code is compiled into Javascript
> by the frontend, why the need to use a Node.js backend?

Amber is a smalltalk dialect that compiles to javascript. So you need a javascript runtime to execute it on the server. Node.js is a good match.

> Why not manage dependencies and tasks from a Pharo image? Why use tools

Why make amber dependant on pharo? Why not on VisualWorks? If you use Grunt et al. they are most likely known by developers considering amber development. On the other hand where are those pharo tools that could replace Grunt et al.? Right they do not exist, yet.

> like Bower and Grunt, which are written in JS? I really don't think Javascript has
> any edge over Smalltalk.

That sounds like you want to use the squeak plugin in your browser instead of amber. Then you have not deal with javascript at all.

my 2 cents,

Norbert

Re: Pharo instead of Node.js

Herby Vojčík

Spyryto wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Now that Amber has bootstrapped, and Amber code is compiled into Javascript
> by the frontend, why the need to use a Node.js backend?
>
> Why not manage dependencies and tasks from a Pharo image? Why use tools
> like Bower and Grunt, which are written in JS? I really don't think
> Javascript has
> any edge over Smalltalk.

Because Amber is aimed at the JS ecosystem in the browser, mainly. To
use its libraries and blend with its tooling. It's not a standalone
platform. It's more a library that wants to play nice with all the others.

> Just wondering.
> Greetings,
>
> Spyryto

Re: Pharo instead of Node.js

Spyryto

Amber is a smalltalk dialect that compiles to javascript. So you need a javascript runtime to execute it on the server. Node.js is a good match.

You mean there is Amber code meant to be run on the server? I was not aware about that.

Why make amber dependant on pharo? Why not on VisualWorks?

I was thinking about the Tide project, that is, an environment in which you use Smalltalk on the backend and in the browser. An all-Smalltalk stack is way cooler that an all-JS one.
If you use Grunt et al. they are most likely known by developers considering amber development.

I am considering Amber because I want to write Smalltalk, and I am not familiar with Grunt et al. Instead, they seem layers of knowledge I have to push into my throat, while I'm not interested in them.

Moreover, Grunt is not the most widely appreciated tool (or the easiest one), if compared to Gulp.

All these Javascript based tools are moving targets, until they get rewritten in a homoiconic language ;-)

On the other hand where are those pharo tools that could replace Grunt et al.? Right they do not exist, yet.

That is the real question.

That sounds like you want to use the squeak plugin in your browser instead of amber. Then you have not deal with javascript at all.

Maybe Squeak.js then. I really would be glad not using HTML, CSS or JS at all.

Spyryto

Re: Pharo instead of Node.js

Spyryto

Because Amber is aimed at the JS ecosystem in the browser, mainly. To
use its libraries and blend with its tooling. It's not a standalone
platform. It's more a library that wants to play nice with all the others.

I see.

Thanks.

Spyryto

Re: Pharo instead of Node.js

Herby Vojčík

Spyryto wrote:

>     Amber is a smalltalk dialect that compiles to javascript. So you
>     need a javascript runtime to execute it on the server. Node.js is a
>     good match.
>

> You mean there is Amber code meant to be run on the server? I was not
> aware about that.

`amber` cli itself, for example. The one that does `amber init` and
`amber serve` for you.

> Moreover, Grunt is not the most widely appreciated tool (or the easiest
> one), if compared to Gulp.

Amber development is not per se dependent on grunt. `amber init`
pre-creates Gruntfile.js for you for all the useful infrastructure, but
afaik the task API tries to be standardized, so the amber task could
maybe reusable by gulp as well (don't know for sure). That said, if you
want to use gulp, it is maybe just a matter of porting tasks which
Gruntfile.js defines, are you're done. Or maybe not. Haven't tried myself.

Re: Pharo instead of Node.js

Herby Vojčík

Herby Vojčík wrote:

> Spyryto wrote:
>> You mean there is Amber code meant to be run on the server? I was not
>> aware about that.
>
> `amber` cli itself, for example. The one that does `amber init` and
> `amber serve` for you.

And the cli tester, which gets run when you do `npm test` (which calls
`grunt test`, which compiles skeleton of test runner with packages that
should be tested jit, runs it and deletes it when it succeeds).

Re: Pharo instead of Node.js

NorbertHartl

Am 24.04.2015 um 13:44 schrieb Spyryto <[hidden email]>:

Amber is a smalltalk dialect that compiles to javascript. So you need a javascript runtime to execute it on the server. Node.js is a good match.

You mean there is Amber code meant to be run on the server? I was not aware about that.

Why make amber dependant on pharo? Why not on VisualWorks?

I was thinking about the Tide project, that is, an environment in which you use Smalltalk on the backend and in the browser. An all-Smalltalk stack is way cooler that an all-JS one.

I know Tide. This is a good add-on to amber in order to talk to pharo.

If you use Grunt et al. they are most likely known by developers considering amber development.

I am considering Amber because I want to write Smalltalk, and I am not familiar with Grunt et al. Instead, they seem layers of knowledge I have to push into my throat, while I'm not interested in them.

Moreover, Grunt is not the most widely appreciated tool (or the easiest one), if compared to Gulp.

All these Javascript based tools are moving targets, until they get rewritten in a homoiconic language ;-)

It's not just Grunt. But Grunt has other modules that deal with all sort of things and they are available in javascript. You can only lose if you do not integrate.

On the other hand where are those pharo tools that could replace Grunt et al.? Right they do not exist, yet.

That is the real question.

That sounds like you want to use the squeak plugin in your browser instead of amber. Then you have not deal with javascript at all.

Maybe Squeak.js then. I really would be glad not using HTML, CSS or JS at all.

If you think running a complete vm and an image in the browser is feasible for your project just proceed.

Norbert

Re: Pharo instead of Node.js

Hannes Hirzel
On 4/24/15, Spyryto <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Amber is a smalltalk dialect that compiles to javascript. So you need a
>> javascript runtime to execute it on the server. Node.js is a good match.
>>

> You mean there is Amber code meant to be run on the server? I was not aware
>
> about that.
>
> Why make amber dependant on pharo? Why not on VisualWorks?
>

> I was thinking about the Tide project, that is, an environment in which you
>
> use Smalltalk on the backend and in the browser. An all-Smalltalk stack is
> way cooler that an all-JS one.
>
>    - Video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFtTCZn10Ak>
>    - Slides <http://www.slideshare.net/esug/esug2014-tide>
>
> If you use Grunt et al. they are most likely known by developers
>> considering amber development.
>

> I am considering Amber because I want to write Smalltalk, and I am not
> familiar with Grunt et al. Instead, they seem layers of knowledge I have to
>
> push into my throat, while I'm not interested in them.

The knowhow needed to operate npm, bower and grunt in connection with
Amber is quite small these days. It has gone down with every version.

You must be ready to use the command line and issue commands llike

git clone
npm install ....
amber init
grunt devel
grunt deploy

That is all in the simplest case (i.e. no additional JavaScript libraries).

Just try for one or hours and start with

   https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/amber/blob/master/README.md

Do not hesitate to report issues here immediately ....