Pharo launcher on Linux Mint

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list

Hi!

I used Pharo launcher on Windows and Ubuntu before and never had any troubles.

Now, I am trying to used it on Linux Mint without success.

Once I start the freshly created image the appropriate VM is downloaded but the image is not started.

A PharoDebug.log is created in the image folder complaining that it can't find the PharoVXX.sources files in the "pharo/bin/lib/pharo/5.0-201707201942" folder.

After I copy the missing file into that folder the image is still not opened and no further logs are created or updated.

A downloaded Pharo.zip from the Pharo website opens just fine.

Is this a known issue?

Thank you!

Sebastian

Re: Pharo launcher on Linux Mint

demarey
Hi Sebastian,

De: Sebastian Heidbrink <[hidden email]>
Objet: Pharo launcher on Linux Mint
Date: 30 juillet 2017 18:12:07 UTC+2
À: Any question about pharo is welcome <[hidden email]>

Hi!

I used Pharo launcher on Windows and Ubuntu before and never had any troubles.

Now, I am trying to used it on Linux Mint without success.

Once I start the freshly created image the appropriate VM is downloaded but the image is not started.

Which version do you use?

A PharoDebug.log is created in the image folder complaining that it can't find the PharoVXX.sources files in the "pharo/bin/lib/pharo/5.0-201707201942" folder.

After I copy the missing file into that folder the image is still not opened and no further logs are created or updated.

I had this problem when updating the launcher because the downloaded zip file is unzipped by Pharo itself but ZipArchive does not preserve permissions attributes.
To fix that, I added PhLVirtualMachineManager>>#ensureIsExecutable:that is called right after the Launcher fetch a new VM. It does an OsProcess call to add executable permissions.
Has Pharo executable write permissions?

Christophe

Re: Pharo launcher on Linux Mint

Pharo Smalltalk Users mailing list
Hi Christophe,

Thank you for your reply!
I downloaded the latest stable version.
You are right! Not all pharo executable are made executable after unzipping again.

I created an issue in Github on this yesterday.

Maybe we have a fix on this soon. I assume that non of the linux installations work right now.

Cheers!
Sebastian