Pharo list of ongoing or soon starting projects needing some help

Pharo list of ongoing or soon starting projects needing some help

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi guys

Here is a list of important projects for the future and you can help us making the infrastructure of Pharo really better.
The idea is also to give you a better view of the work we want to structure.
We can use this list to discuss during the IRC meeting.
let me know what you think

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Projects

Re: Pharo list of ongoing or soon starting projects needing some help

Lukas Renggli
A one sentence slogan of what the project is about would help, for
example I have no idea what "Haselnut" is about.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pharo list of ongoing or soon starting projects needing some help

Stéphane Ducasse

> A one sentence slogan of what the project is about would help, for
> example I have no idea what "Haselnut" is about.

yes I was too busy
Haselnuts should be the smallest kernel
you
walnut
coconut

and pinekernel = microsqueak.

So we are working on coconut :)

> Lukas
>
> On 4 December 2010 12:06, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi guys
>>
>> Here is a list of important projects for the future and you can help us making the infrastructure of Pharo really better.
>> The idea is also to give you a better view of the work we want to structure.
>> We can use this list to discuss during the IRC meeting.
>> let me know what you think
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Projects
>>
>> Stef
>>

> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pharo list of ongoing or soon starting projects needing some help

csrabak
+1.

Perhaps a link to the page/document elaborating the theme?

--
Cesar Rabak

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pharo list of ongoing or soon starting projects needing some help

Lukas Renggli
Haha, that's a good name :-)

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pharo list of ongoing or soon starting projects needing some help

garduino
Very interesting!

2010/12/4  <[hidden email]>:

> +1.
>
> Perhaps a link to the page/document elaborating the theme?
>
> --
> Cesar Rabak
>

> Em 04/12/2010 18:24, Lukas Renggli < [hidden email] > escreveu:
> A one sentence slogan of what the project is about would help, for
> example I have no idea what "Haselnut" is about.
>
> Lukas
>
> On 4 December 2010 12:06, Stéphane Ducasse  wrote:
>> Hi guys
>>
>> Here is a list of important projects for the future and you can help us making the infrastructure of Pharo really better.
>> The idea is also to give you a better view of the work we want to structure.
>> We can use this list to discuss during the IRC meeting.
>> let me know what you think
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Projects
>>
>> Stef
>>

> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pharo list of ongoing or soon starting projects needing some help

garduino
About the UIBuilder project is something new, has nothing to do with
the Postdam work recently published on squeak-dev?

2010/12/4 Germán Arduino <[hidden email]>:

> Very interesting!
>
> 2010/12/4  <[hidden email]>:
>> +1.
>>
>> Perhaps a link to the page/document elaborating the theme?
>>
>> --
>> Cesar Rabak
>>

>> Em 04/12/2010 18:24, Lukas Renggli < [hidden email] > escreveu:
>> A one sentence slogan of what the project is about would help, for
>> example I have no idea what "Haselnut" is about.
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> On 4 December 2010 12:06, Stéphane Ducasse  wrote:
>>> Hi guys
>>>
>>> Here is a list of important projects for the future and you can help us making the infrastructure of Pharo really better.
>>> The idea is also to give you a better view of the work we want to structure.
>>> We can use this list to discuss during the IRC meeting.
>>> let me know what you think
>>>
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Projects
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>

>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Pharo list of ongoing or soon starting projects needing some help

Adrian Lienhard
One item on the list that is missing, in my opinion, is a "Package management system". With Metacello we have the underlying infrastructure but what we lack is a process, the supporting tools, and building of a community around contributing and managing external packages. Today it's hard to find whether somebody already did what one needs, and its hard to install others work because dependencies and general information about a package is missing.

Adrian

BTW, for an example of a simple catalogue see http://pypi.python.org/pypi and this page for a package description: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/mcs/0.3.3

On Dec 4, 2010, at 16:06 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi guys
>
> Here is a list of important projects for the future and you can help us making the infrastructure of Pharo really better.
> The idea is also to give you a better view of the work we want to structure.
> We can use this list to discuss during the IRC meeting.
> let me know what you think
>
> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Projects
>
> Stef

Re: Pharo list of ongoing or soon starting projects needing some help

:)

> Haha, that's a good name :-)

Yes I thought that like that we do not have to say the small but not so small kernel :)

On Dec 5, 2010, at 4:06 PM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> One item on the list that is missing, in my opinion, is a "Package management system". With Metacello we have the underlying infrastructure but what we lack is a process, the supporting tools, and building of a community around contributing and managing external packages. Today it's hard to find whether somebody already did what one needs, and its hard to install others work because dependencies and general information about a package is missing.

Yes now I'm waiting to see Metacello 1.0 out so that we can fill the corresponding repositories with adequate configuration.
I think that it will be already a good step and will have a structuring impact

> Adrian
>
> BTW, for an example of a simple catalogue see http://pypi.python.org/pypi and this page for a package description: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/mcs/0.3.3
>

> On Dec 4, 2010, at 16:06 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi guys
>>
>> Here is a list of important projects for the future and you can help us making the infrastructure of Pharo really better.
>> The idea is also to give you a better view of the work we want to structure.
>> We can use this list to discuss during the IRC meeting.
>> let me know what you think
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/wiki/Projects
>>
>> Stef

Re: Pharo list of ongoing or soon starting projects needing some help

> Very interesting!
>
> 2010/12/4  <[hidden email]>:
>> +1.
>>
>> Perhaps a link to the page/document elaborating the theme

For some theme we wrote 10 pages paper (like the Ring model).
For others I do not have the time currently to write that.
I will try to write once sentence for each now.