Pharo on ARM

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pharo on ARM

ken.dickey
 
Greetings,

The 32 bit ARM VMs work for v6 & v7.

The 64 bit VM is for v8/AArch64 on Linux. This is only the interpreter
VM (no COG JIT), so is pretty slow currently.  Also the UFFI is not yet
working on 64 bit.  I am working on this but am a bit slow at it.

I would suggest the 32 bit VM for now as the UI is faster.

I don't know if the 64 bit ARM VM is built by default.  I can help with
advice if you run into problems building from sources.

-KenD  [ken dot dickey at whidbey dot com]
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pharo on ARM

timrowledge
 


> On 2019-04-10, at 8:12 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> The 32 bit ARM VMs work for v6 & v7.

Should work for pretty much any ARM device of the last 10-12 years. Really old ones (pre-v5) might have problems.

>
> The 64 bit VM is for v8/AArch64 on Linux. This is only the interpreter VM (no COG JIT), so is pretty slow currently.

Trying to work on this but progress is not exactly rapid. First part is to write the cpu simulator plugin and that means working up the bravery to look into the maelstrom of GDB code. Too many other 'urgent' things get in the way.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
I do not fear computers.  I fear the lack of them.


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Pharo on ARM

Mariano Martinez Peck
 


On Wed, Apr 10, 2019 at 4:40 PM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:


> On 2019-04-10, at 8:12 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> Greetings,
>
> The 32 bit ARM VMs work for v6 & v7.

Should work for pretty much any ARM device of the last 10-12 years. Really old ones (pre-v5) might have problems.

>
> The 64 bit VM is for v8/AArch64 on Linux. This is only the interpreter VM (no COG JIT), so is pretty slow currently.

Trying to work on this but progress is not exactly rapid. First part is to write the cpu simulator plugin and that means working up the bravery to look into the maelstrom of GDB code. Too many other 'urgent' things get in the way.


Thanks Tim for the update! 


--
Mariano Martinez Peck