Pharo on Android - is it available?

Peter Kenny
I would like to experiment with Pharo on Android - I have just acquired an Android tablet, and I do not want to learn another development language to produce my own simple apps. After a Google search, I have found http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/, which says it is available, at least as a beta. The site says that downloads from there are deprecated, and gives a link to https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/PharoDroid/ for the download. This link seems to be dead, however. Is there any source of a download of Pharo for Android (on an ARM-designed processor)? And does it make sense to try to develop apps using Pharo (I know about Dr Geo, so I suppose the answer is yes)?

Many thanks for help

Peter Kenny

Re: Pharo on Android - is it available?

nacho
Peter,
I don't know the current state of Android's VM.
It is, however, fully functional on ARM as I regularly run it now my Raspberry Pi both under Linux and RISC OS.

Note, however, that -at least the version for the RasPi- is not a COG VM. So running Pharo in the RasPi is slow given the limited resources of the RasPi.
Best
Nacho

Lic. Ignacio Sniechowski, MBA

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 1:44 PM, PBK Research <[hidden email]> wrote:
I would like to experiment with Pharo on Android - I have just acquired an Android tablet, and I do not want to learn another development language to produce my own simple apps. After a Google search, I have found http://code.google.com/p/squeakvm-tablet/, which says it is available, at least as a beta. The site says that downloads from there are deprecated, and gives a link to https://ci.lille.inria.fr/pharo/job/PharoDroid/ for the download. This link seems to be dead, however. Is there any source of a download of Pharo for Android (on an ARM-designed processor)? And does it make sense to try to develop apps using Pharo (I know about Dr Geo, so I suppose the answer is yes)?

Many thanks for help

Peter Kenny

Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Pharo on Android - is it available?

kilon.alios
I have tried squeak on my android devices, it basically runs on android yes but it does not behave well with multi touch its practically unusable. Basically it does not understand when someone lifts his finger from the screen , so it can get clicks but its sticky clicks.So moving windows around and clicking on things is a pain and not usable at all.  I suspect something similar applies for pharo too.

If you want to develop for mobile devices your best bet right now is Amber. Amber tries to be as compatible as possible to pharo and compiles to javascript. You should be able to use pharo as a backend if you want to but I have not tried to really confirm this, I dont see any reason why this wont work. The advantage of amber is that any app you develop with it wont be just a mobile app but also a web app.

Using pharo for desktop apps is of course perfectly doable and recommended or as a backend to web apps. But if you have a tablet and want to focus on this I would say that Amber + Pharo should seal the deal for you and you will give you access to loads of stuff you can do because amber will give you immediate access to all Javascript libraries and that can only be a good thing :)

Also javascript is probably a very good way to develop Android apps that also work on iOS.

Re: Pharo on Android - is it available?

Hi peter

I will let esteban reply to you because I do not know where the code is hosted.
Now there is not much effort on PharoDroid I know that it is working but I imagine that it could be way better (you know time/money…)

Stef

Peter Kenny

Re: Pharo on Android - is it available?

Manfred Kröhnert

Hello Alain

Am 01.01.2014 08:45 schrieb "Alain Busser" <[hidden email]>:

> Thank you for making Amber known, but you forgot a link to it: I guess you talk about this: http://amber-lang.net/

This is definitely the correct web page for Amber.
If you are giving it a try and gave any issues you are welcome to jump on our mailing list :-)

Best,
Manfred

> Alain
>

> On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 9:35 PM, kilon alios <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have tried squeak on my android devices, it basically runs on android yes but it does not behave well with multi touch its practically unusable. Basically it does not understand when someone lifts his finger from the screen , so it can get clicks but its sticky clicks.So moving windows around and clicking on things is a pain and not usable at all.  I suspect something similar applies for pharo too.
>>
>> If you want to develop for mobile devices your best bet right now is Amber. Amber tries to be as compatible as possible to pharo and compiles to javascript. You should be able to use pharo as a backend if you want to but I have not tried to really confirm this, I dont see any reason why this wont work. The advantage of amber is that any app you develop with it wont be just a mobile app but also a web app.
>>
>> Using pharo for desktop apps is of course perfectly doable and recommended or as a backend to web apps. But if you have a tablet and want to focus on this I would say that Amber + Pharo should seal the deal for you and you will give you access to loads of stuff you can do because amber will give you immediate access to all Javascript libraries and that can only be a good thing :)
>>
>> Also javascript is probably a very good way to develop Android apps that also work on iOS.

Re: Pharo on Android - is it available?

hilaire
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.