Pharo on Linux

horrido
I'm running Debian. At http://files.pharo.org, I download
  • platform/Pharo6.0-64-linux.zip
  • sources/PharoV60.sources.zip
  • wget -O- get.pharo.org/60 | bash
Then I try: ./pharo Pharo.image &

I'm always getting "This interpreter (vers. 68021) cannot read image file (vers. 6521)."

What's wrong?

Re: Pharo on Linux

alistairgrant
Hi Richard,

You're mixing 32 bit and 64 bit installations.  I'd just use the
zero-conf install.  In an empty directory:

curl get.pharo.org/64/61+vm | bash

or

wget -O - get.pharo.org/64/61+vm | bash

HTH,
Alistair

On Sat, 17 Nov 2018 at 21:32, Richard Kenneth Eng
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm running Debian. At http://files.pharo.org, I download
>
> platform/Pharo6.0-64-linux.zip
> sources/PharoV60.sources.zip
> wget -O- get.pharo.org/60 | bash
>
> Then I try: ./pharo Pharo.image &
>
> I'm always getting "This interpreter (vers. 68021) cannot read image file (vers. 6521)."
>
> What's wrong?

Re: Pharo on Linux

horrido
How do I run pharo?

./pharo Pharo.image &

doesn't work.

Re: Pharo on Linux

CyrilFerlicot

On Sat 17 Nov 2018 at 22:05, horrido <[hidden email]> wrote:
How do I run pharo?

./pharo Pharo.image &

./pharo-ui Pharo.image

doesn't work.

Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Pharo on Linux

horrido
Thanks.

The last time I used Pharo for Linux was over a year ago, and ./pharo
Pharo.image worked then. Every time usage convention changes, it breaks
documentation and causes confusion. Having more than one way to do something
always invites confusion.

Such is life as a programmer.

CyrilFerlicot wrote
> On Sat 17 Nov 2018 at 22:05, horrido &lt;

> horrido.hobbies@

> &gt; wrote:
>
>> How do I run pharo?
>>
>> ./pharo Pharo.image &
>

> ./pharo-ui Pharo.image
>

>> doesn't work.
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Users-f1310670.html
>>
>> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Pharo on Linux

CyrilFerlicot
Le 17/11/2018 à 23:14, horrido a écrit :
> Thanks.
>
> The last time I used Pharo for Linux was over a year ago, and ./pharo
> Pharo.image worked then. Every time usage convention changes, it breaks
> documentation and causes confusion. Having more than one way to do something
> always invites confusion.

./pharo Pharo.image never launched an UI for me for images I got from
zeroconf on linux.

It will launch an image, but the image will close immediately after
because it has nothing to do while pharo-ui will stay open because it
has the ui process to interact with the user.

./pharo Pharo.image --eval "10 second wait" will keep the image open 10
sec for example.

> Such is life as a programmer.

Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Pharo on Linux

Hans-Martin
One thing that I've learned to appreciate quickly is the pharo launcher. It
takes care of downloading everything you need (of course, it won't set up a
32-bit environment in a 64-bit Linux for you, that must be done manually).
Used it in Linux and Windows environments with good success, it's really the
simplest way of quickly comparing different without much hassle.

Cheers,
Hans-Martin