Pharo on OLPC XO kid notebook

hilaire
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Pharo on OLPC XO kid notebook

Stéphane Ducasse

On Jul 6, 2010, at 6:24 PM, Hilaire Fernandes wrote:

> OLPC moto is based from day one on the use of dynamic language to design the content coming with their notebook.
>
> It is to write content but also to allow kids to examine source code, edit it and test it ; as we are doing continuously in Smalltalk.
> They even think about a source-code key in the keyboard to instantaneously open a source code browser exposing the code of a running application.
>
> Now that Pharo 1.1 is in good sigh and as we are not ashame any more to show how Smalltalk looks like we could also produce a release of Pharo for OLPC XO Sugar environment. It is definitely a good opportunity to bring an interesting tool to neutral mind (kids). In the other hand, it will definitely help to bring awareness about Pharo.  For example, without any action of my part, DrGeoII was downloaded about 180'000 times in one year for XO.
>
> Any takers?

any idea of the task?
what does it implies?

> Hilaire
>
> PS: I have a couple of XO machines for testing purpose.

I gave mine to richie for SqueakNOS :)

Re: Pharo on OLPC XO kid notebook

SergeStinckwich
On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 11:24 PM, Hilaire Fernandes
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> OLPC moto is based from day one on the use of dynamic language to design the
> content coming with their notebook.
>
> It is to write content but also to allow kids to examine source code, edit
> it and test it ; as we are doing continuously in Smalltalk.
> They even think about a source-code key in the keyboard to instantaneously
> open a source code browser exposing the code of a running application.
>
> Now that Pharo 1.1 is in good sigh and as we are not ashame any more to show
> how Smalltalk looks like we could also produce a release of Pharo for OLPC
> XO Sugar environment. It is definitely a good opportunity to bring an
> interesting tool to neutral mind (kids). In the other hand, it will
> definitely help to bring awareness about Pharo.  For example, without any
> action of my part, DrGeoII was downloaded about 180'000 times in one year
> for XO.
>
> Any takers?

I'm interested ! I'm involved in OLPC Vietnam and we would like to
develop more contents in Vietnamese. Our website is here:
http://olpc.vn/

Some vietnamese students (one of them is in CC on this message) are
working to port Magic Words (http://comikit.se/page_magicwords.html )
to the XO and we are looking for an Smalltalk image for deployment (at
the moment we are considering using the EToys image).

What should be done:
- build a specific VM (reuse EToys work),
- port D-BUS to Pharo : http://wiki.laptop.org/go/D-BUS This is mostly
used to communicate with OLPC-services. There is already an EToys
version: http://www.squeaksource.com/dbus.html
- package Pharo as an xo package,
- adapt PBE to have a PBE-Sugar edition.

> Hilaire
>
> PS: I have a couple of XO machines for testing purpose.

I've got one.
Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk

Re: Pharo on OLPC XO kid notebook

Geert Claes
Administrator
Hilaire Fernandes-6 wrote
My 2 cents is that the IDE - as it is stands now - is probably not intuitive enough for kids.

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 1:28 PM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hilaire Fernandes-6 wrote:

>> Now that Pharo 1.1 is in good sigh and as we are not ashame any more to
>> show how Smalltalk looks like we could also produce a release of Pharo for
>> OLPC XO Sugar environment
>>

> My 2 cents is that the IDE - as it is stands now - is probably not intuitive
> enough for kids.

The idea is not to have Pharo as an IDE for kids but to use Pharo to
develop XO software for kids.

Regards,
--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk
http://doesnotunderstand.org/

Re: Pharo on OLPC XO kid notebook

Geert Claes
Administrator
Serge Stinckwich-2 wrote
The idea is not to have Pharo as an IDE for kids but to use Pharo to develop XO software for kids.
Ok, and in which environment will these kids develop XO software then?

On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 2:13 PM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Serge Stinckwich-2 wrote:
>>
>> The idea is not to have Pharo as an IDE for kids but to use Pharo to
>> develop XO software for kids.
>>

> Ok, and in which environment will these kids develop XO software then?

Kids will not develop software, they will use pedagogical activities
developed in Pharo like Dr Geo 2 for example.

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Pharo on OLPC XO kid notebook

SergeStinckwich
On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Hilaire Fernandes
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello Serge,
>
> Also we may want:
>
> - provide VM based on COG, the XO-1 are pretty slow, although XO 1.5 are
> better.

Yes i was quite surprised the first time i used Squeak on XO-1.
COG could definitively help here, but i have no competences in VM.

> - propose a sugar theme for Pharo (it is about 70% complete with some issues
> depending on Gary help)

Great !

> - When Pharo is used to deploy application, what we should think about is
> how to load fast Smalltalk code in an existing Pharo installation in the XO
> notebook.

You mean binary packages ?

> I am pretty sure we can have quite visible and important impact!
>
> Nonetheless, an important argument we want to sell with such a set up:
> "Develop there, deploy anywhere"
>

> Geert, yes browser may not the easiest. We should iterate on how to improve
> the IDE if we want kids to write in some way Smalltalk code. May be the
> Workspace is more importante at the first place.

At the beginning, we should hide Pharo environment and just use it to
develop applications.

Regards,