Pharo on Raspberry Pi 2

Thierry Goubier

Hi all,

given this announcement, what would this mean for Pharo on the Raspberry Pi 2?

Thierry

http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/

Let’s get the good stuff out of the way above the fold. Raspberry Pi 2 is now on sale for $35 (the same price as the existing Model B+), featuring:
  • A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU (~6x performance)
  • 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM (2x memory)
  • Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1

Because it has an ARMv7 processor, it can run the full range of ARM GNU/Linux distributions, including Snappy Ubuntu Core, as well as Microsoft Windows 10.

Re: Pharo on Raspberry Pi 2

nacho
Thierry,
Pharo runs in the previous RPI, the problem actually is not more horsepower but a JIT VM.
I think Tim was working in that, but the VM is not quiet there yet.
From my experience, Pharo at this stage is only barely usable.  But if the VM was similar in specification to that of the x86 architecture I can bet that Pharo will run perfectly well doing some tricks.
cheers

Lic. Ignacio Sniechowski, MBA
Prosavic SRL

Tel: (011) 4542-6714

Nacho Smalltalker apprentice. Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Re: Pharo on Raspberry Pi 2

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
Ubuntu of course

https://insights.ubuntu.com/2015/02/02/snappy-ubuntu-core-on-raspberry-pi-2/
http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
http://www.ubuntu.com/cloud/tools/snappy

Seriously, Rasbian will still be the most used OS I guess.

> On 02 Feb 2015, at 16:01, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Which platform ?...
> http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/raspberrypi2support
>
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Ignacio Sniechowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thierry,
> Pharo runs in the previous RPI, the problem actually is not more horsepower but a JIT VM.
> I think Tim was working in that, but the VM is not quiet there yet.
> From my experience, Pharo at this stage is only barely usable.  But if the VM was similar in specification to that of the x86 architecture I can bet that Pharo will run perfectly well doing some tricks.
> cheers
>

> Lic. Ignacio Sniechowski, MBA
> Prosavic SRL
>
> Tel: (011) 4542-6714

> On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 9:35 AM, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> given this announcement, what would this mean for Pharo on the Raspberry Pi 2?
>
> Thierry
>
> http://www.raspberrypi.org/raspberry-pi-2-on-sale/
>
> Let’s get the good stuff out of the way above the fold. Raspberry Pi 2 is now on sale for $35 (the same price as the existing Model B+), featuring:
> • A 900MHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 CPU (~6x performance)
> • 1GB LPDDR2 SDRAM (2x memory)
> • Complete compatibility with Raspberry Pi 1
> Because it has an ARMv7 processor, it can run the full range of ARM GNU/Linux distributions, including Snappy Ubuntu Core, as well as Microsoft Windows 10.

Re: Pharo on Raspberry Pi 2

Thierry Goubier

Oh, Linux for me will be perfect, thanks :)

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Ignacio Sniechowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thierry,
Pharo runs in the previous RPI, the problem actually is not more horsepower but a JIT VM.
I think Tim was working in that, but the VM is not quiet there yet.
From my experience, Pharo at this stage is only barely usable.  But if the VM was similar in specification to that of the x86 architecture I can bet that Pharo will run perfectly well doing some tricks.

I guessed as well. I was just considering how much more powerfull (and closer to standard ARM platforms?) the version 2 of the Pi seems to be.

Thierry

Re: Pharo on Raspberry Pi 2

Annick
There is a Jenkins build for Pharo done by Jean-Baptiste Arnaud. The usability is mainly hindered by the windowing system, which is VERY slow. On the raspberry, there is the possibility to replace X11 by wayland, and I read wrappers should exist to move from one to the other. Wayland  can use the Raspberry GPU, which is VERY fast.
Besides, JB’s version relies on pharoS and not pharo, so remains behind the main pharo development.
But nobody has done that yet.

Annick

Le 2 févr. 2015 à 16:11, Thierry Goubier <[hidden email]> a écrit :

Oh, Linux for me will be perfect, thanks :)

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 9:21 PM, Ignacio Sniechowski <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thierry,
Pharo runs in the previous RPI, the problem actually is not more horsepower but a JIT VM.
I think Tim was working in that, but the VM is not quiet there yet.
From my experience, Pharo at this stage is only barely usable.  But if the VM was similar in specification to that of the x86 architecture I can bet that Pharo will run perfectly well doing some tricks.