Pharo on Stackexchange

12

Re: Pharo on Stackexchange

fstephany
+1

> Why not simply use stackoverflow and tag your questions with "pharo"?
>
> frank

Re: Pharo on Stackexchange

Nicolas Cellier
2012/5/15 Frank Shearar <[hidden email]>:

> On 15 May 2012 12:23, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> If what you want is something other than a QA site, absolutely.
>>>
>>> If you want a QA place, I don't see why people can't just use SO:
>>> there are already 113 questions tagged "pharo" there, and all people
>>> need do is... just ask your question there. It's one more thing you
>>> don't need to write/install/maintain, and one LESS thing for you to
>>> track: lists, RSS feeds, newsgroups, QA sites, ...
>>

>> I did not have an account on StackOverflow until 1 hour ago.
>> It's one more thing in itself, and I don't see how a big mess of questions
>> helps of all topics in the world will help us.
>>
>> We need somethign focussed.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/feeds/tag/pharo would probably be exactly
> what you'd want, possibly with
> http://stackoverflow.com/feeds/tag/smalltalk just to catch non-Pharo
> questions that could be answered from a Pharo perspective.
>
> But yes, I guess there is a cost in that you need an SO account to ask
> questions. Having paid that cost long ago, I didn't think about that.
>
> frank

You get a google account, facebook, or something, then the cost is
approximately 4 clicks in your favourite web browser

Nicolas

>>        Marcus
>>

>> --
>> Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Pharo on Stackexchange

Nicolas Cellier
I perceive SO answers as rather high-quality.
Maybe it's just due to the rating, but I recommend this site professionally.

Of course, you may think that Smalltalk already implies high-quality,
and that the community is too small for having reliable rating...

Nonetheless I'd say +1 for SO

Nicolas

2012/5/15 Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>:

> On May 15, 2012, at 1:49 PM, Frank Shearar wrote:
>>>
>>> I did not have an account on StackOverflow until 1 hour ago.
>>> It's one more thing in itself, and I don't see how a big mess of questions
>>> helps of all topics in the world will help us.
>>>
>>> We need somethign focussed.
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/feeds/tag/pharo would probably be exactly
>> what you'd want, possibly with
>> http://stackoverflow.com/feeds/tag/smalltalk just to catch non-Pharo
>> questions that could be answered from a Pharo perspective.
>>
>> But yes, I guess there is a cost in that you need an SO account to ask
>> questions. Having paid that cost long ago, I didn't think about that.
>>
> To me it feels like if every open source project would just use one
> Bug tracker because there are tags... while I already thing that
> I want sub-projects on the current one.
>
> I personally don't think that tagging subsumes grouping.
>
>                Marcus
>
> --
> Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Pharo on Stackexchange

Igor Stasenko
On 15 May 2012 13:49, Frank Shearar <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15 May 2012 12:23, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> If what you want is something other than a QA site, absolutely.
>>>
>>> If you want a QA place, I don't see why people can't just use SO:
>>> there are already 113 questions tagged "pharo" there, and all people
>>> need do is... just ask your question there. It's one more thing you
>>> don't need to write/install/maintain, and one LESS thing for you to
>>> track: lists, RSS feeds, newsgroups, QA sites, ...
>>

>> I did not have an account on StackOverflow until 1 hour ago.
>> It's one more thing in itself, and I don't see how a big mess of questions
>> helps of all topics in the world will help us.
>>
>> We need somethign focussed.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/feeds/tag/pharo would probably be exactly
> what you'd want, possibly with
> http://stackoverflow.com/feeds/tag/smalltalk just to catch non-Pharo
> questions that could be answered from a Pharo perspective.
>
> But yes, I guess there is a cost in that you need an SO account to ask
> questions. Having paid that cost long ago, I didn't think about that.

SO account? what is it? I authorized with OpenID. So registering is few clicks.

I think we don't need separate site. SO is just fine.
I added 'smalltalk' tag into my favorites, and i get notified by mail
every time there's a new question

> frank
>>
>>        Marcus
>>

>> --