Pharo on Ubuntu ARM

Marc Hanisch
Hello,

I'm running Ubuntu ARM (armhf) on my Toshiba AC100. With the help of apt-get
I've installed the squeak-vm and the squeak-image, which both run fine.

Now I've downloaded the Pharo-image, but could not find the cog-vm for ARM.
Running the Pharo-image with the squeak-vm just gives me a segmentation
fault:

-1550458048 [] in ByteSymbol>?
/usr/bin/squeak: line 277:  4603 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) $VM

I don't know if it is in general possible to run the image with the
squeak-vm. Does an ARM-build for the cog-vm exists?

Thanks in advance,
Marc

Re: Pharo on Ubuntu ARM

Stéphane Ducasse
So far there is no JIT for ARM.

Stef

On Oct 1, 2012, at 8:19 AM, Marc Hanisch wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running Ubuntu ARM (armhf) on my Toshiba AC100. With the help of apt-get
> I've installed the squeak-vm and the squeak-image, which both run fine.
>
> Now I've downloaded the Pharo-image, but could not find the cog-vm for ARM.
> Running the Pharo-image with the squeak-vm just gives me a segmentation
> fault:
>
> -1550458048 [] in ByteSymbol>?
> /usr/bin/squeak: line 277:  4603 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) $VM
>
> I don't know if it is in general possible to run the image with the
> squeak-vm. Does an ARM-build for the cog-vm exists?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Marc

Re: Pharo on Ubuntu ARM

Denis Kudriashov
What about StackVM?

2012/10/1 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
So far there is no JIT for ARM.

Stef

On Oct 1, 2012, at 8:19 AM, Marc Hanisch wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running Ubuntu ARM (armhf) on my Toshiba AC100. With the help of apt-get
> I've installed the squeak-vm and the squeak-image, which both run fine.
>
> Now I've downloaded the Pharo-image, but could not find the cog-vm for ARM.
> Running the Pharo-image with the squeak-vm just gives me a segmentation
> fault:
>
> -1550458048 [] in ByteSymbol>?
> /usr/bin/squeak: line 277:  4603 Segmentation fault      (core dumped) $VM
>
> I don't know if it is in general possible to run the image with the
> squeak-vm. Does an ARM-build for the cog-vm exists?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Marc

Re: Pharo on Ubuntu ARM

Marc Hanisch
Should Pharo run with the squeak-vm? An ARM build for the squeak-vm exists...

Thank you,
Marc

2012/10/1 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> So far there is no JIT for ARM.
>
> Stef

Re: Pharo on Ubuntu ARM

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Oct 01, 2012 at 12:53:44PM +0200, Marc Hanisch wrote:
> Should Pharo run with the squeak-vm? An ARM build for the squeak-vm exists...
>
> Thank you,
> Marc

Yes, Pharo should run on any recent squeak-vm. If it crashes, it's a VM bug.

Dave

> 2012/10/1 St??phane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
> > So far there is no JIT for ARM.
> >
> > Stef

Re: Pharo on Ubuntu ARM

Stéphane Ducasse
> Should Pharo run with the squeak-vm? An ARM build for the squeak-vm exists...
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Marc
>>

> Yes, Pharo should run on any recent squeak-vm. If it crashes, it's a VM bug.

I'm not sure. :)
We fixed a lot of code in the filePlugin and friends.

Re: Pharo on Ubuntu ARM

Camillo Bruni-3

On 2012-10-01, at 15:06, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Should Pharo run with the squeak-vm? An ARM build for the squeak-vm exists...
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Marc
>>>

>> Yes, Pharo should run on any recent squeak-vm. If it crashes, it's a VM bug.
>
> I'm not sure. :)
> We fixed a lot of code in the filePlugin and friends.

most of it is backwards compatible, meaning that unless you explicitly rely
on the new filePlugin features it won't fail. And in the worst case you should
get a warning, but certainly not a crash ;)

Re: Pharo on Ubuntu ARM

Marc Hanisch
2012/10/1 Camillo Bruni <[hidden email]>:

>>> Yes, Pharo should run on any recent squeak-vm. If it crashes, it's a VM bug.
>>
>> I'm not sure. :)
>> We fixed a lot of code in the filePlugin and friends.
>
> most of it is backwards compatible, meaning that unless you explicitly rely
> on the new filePlugin features it won't fail. And in the worst case you should
> get a warning, but certainly not a crash ;)

Thanks for the hints! I will try it with squeak-vm again. I think it
crashed because the Toshiba AC100 has just 512MB of RAM.

Greetings,
Marc

★ Esperanto - Lingvo internacia ★ http://www.esperanto.de ★ http://e-gikoj.com ★

Re: Pharo on Ubuntu ARM

thanks for the information.

Stef

On Oct 1, 2012, at 4:18 PM, Camillo Bruni wrote:

> On 2012-10-01, at 15:06, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> Should Pharo run with the squeak-vm? An ARM build for the squeak-vm exists...

>>> Yes, Pharo should run on any recent squeak-vm. If it crashes, it's a VM bug.
>>
>> I'm not sure. :)
>> We fixed a lot of code in the filePlugin and friends.
>
> most of it is backwards compatible, meaning that unless you explicitly rely
> on the new filePlugin features it won't fail. And in the worst case you should
> get a warning, but certainly not a crash ;)

Re: Pharo on Ubuntu ARM

Denis Kudriashov
Hello

2012/10/1 Marc Hanisch <[hidden email]>
Should Pharo run with the squeak-vm? An ARM build for the squeak-vm exists...

Where you get it? Can you share?

Re: Pharo on Ubuntu ARM

Marc Hanisch
Hello,

It's the Ubuntu for ARM build located here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/armhf/squeak-vm/1:4.4.7.2357-1.1ubuntu1

But it still crashes when running a pharo image. With the delivered squeak-image, it does not crash :-( But I don't want to use squeak ;-)

Best regards,

Am 02.10.2012 20:26 schrieb Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>:
Hello

2012/10/1 Marc Hanisch <[hidden email]>
Should Pharo run with the squeak-vm? An ARM build for the squeak-vm exists...

Where you get it? Can you share?

Re: Pharo on Ubuntu ARM

Stéphane Ducasse
This is strange because I do not see why it would crash. Do you have a log file of the crash?

Stef

On Oct 2, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Marc Hanisch wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It's the Ubuntu for ARM build located here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/armhf/squeak-vm/1:4.4.7.2357-1.1ubuntu1
>
> But it still crashes when running a pharo image. With the delivered squeak-image, it does not crash :-( But I don't want to use squeak ;-)
>
> Best regards,
> Marc
>

> -- ★ Esperanto - Lingvo internacia ★ http://www.esperanto.de ★ http://e-gikoj.com ★
> Am 02.10.2012 20:26 schrieb Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>:
> Hello
>
> 2012/10/1 Marc Hanisch <[hidden email]>
> Should Pharo run with the squeak-vm? An ARM build for the squeak-vm exists...
>
> Where you get it? Can you share?

Re: Pharo on Ubuntu ARM

Marc Hanisch
Does the vm create a detailed log? I just get the segmentation fault error output... As I told, the AC100 has only 512MB of RAM. But as I read in the vm documentation, the vm tries to allocate 1GB or 75% of the available RAM...

Am 02.10.2012 21:03 schrieb Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:
This is strange because I do not see why it would crash. Do you have a log file of the crash?

Stef

On Oct 2, 2012, at 8:45 PM, Marc Hanisch wrote:

> Hello,
>
> It's the Ubuntu for ARM build located here: https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/precise/armhf/squeak-vm/1:4.4.7.2357-1.1ubuntu1
>
> But it still crashes when running a pharo image. With the delivered squeak-image, it does not crash :-( But I don't want to use squeak ;-)
>
> Best regards,
> Marc
>

> -- ★ Esperanto - Lingvo internacia ★ http://www.esperanto.de ★ http://e-gikoj.com ★
> Am 02.10.2012 20:26 schrieb Denis Kudriashov <[hidden email]>:
> Hello
>
> 2012/10/1 Marc Hanisch <[hidden email]>
> Should Pharo run with the squeak-vm? An ARM build for the squeak-vm exists...
>
> Where you get it? Can you share?

Re: Pharo on Ubuntu ARM

Stéphane Ducasse

> Does the vm create a detailed log? I just get the segmentation fault error output... As I told, the AC100 has only 512MB of RAM. But as I read in the vm documentation, the vm tries to allocate 1GB or 75% of the available RAM…

I really do not know but I do not think that Pharo is not working in 512 mb
It would be a problem because we ask our servers for our web site to be 512 mb ram. So I doubt that this limit is the problem.

Re: Pharo on Ubuntu ARM

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

On 04 Oct 2012, at 10:29, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Does the vm create a detailed log? I just get the segmentation fault error output... As I told, the AC100 has only 512MB of RAM. But as I read in the vm documentation, the vm tries to allocate 1GB or 75% of the available RAM…
>
> I really do not know but I do not think that Pharo is not working in 512 mb
> It would be a problem because we ask our servers for our web site to be 512 mb ram. So I doubt that this limit is the problem.
>
> Stef

Stoch Pharo is only using 50Mb on a server, provisioning about 100Mb per vm/image instance would be enough (depending on usage of course).

But on a specific platform, a vm might try to allocate or reserve more. It all depends on the port of the vm.

--
Sven Van Caekenberghe
http://stfx.eu

Re: Pharo on Ubuntu ARM

Igor Stasenko
guys, if you want to get more concrete answers, please ask on vm-dev
mailing list.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.