Pharo on a Mac

Bart Venckeleer
Hi all, 20 years ago I wrote an application in SmallTalk-V that I'm porting now to Pharo since Smalltalk-V doesn't run 64-bit systems. I run Pharo on a Mac and what I experience is a bit annoying and I hope one of you already solved the issues.

In fact there are two things that bother me:

1. The typical cursor navigation doesn't work. Normally on a Mac:
cmd <left arrow> moves the cursor to the beginning of a line,
cmd <right arrow> moves the cursor to the end of the line,
option <left arrow> moves the cursor one word to the left,
option <right arrow> moves the cursor one word to the right,
and of course it can be combined with shift to make selections.

In Pharo I can't do that and it slows down coding.

2. There are problems with the Magic Mouse and it is very annoying when browsing code.
Whenever you touch the mouse surface to scroll horizontally it generates shift <left arrow> or shift <right arrow> events which causes text to be selected without it being the intension.

Is there a solution for this?
Thanks for helping me :-)

Cheers, Bart

Re: Pharo on a Mac

jfabry
Hi Bart,

cursor navigation and support for the magic mouse or magic trackpad are not well implemented in Pharo, sadly. It’s a known issue for a long time (sadly) and I at least am not aware of any solution. I would very much appreciate one, but it is a case of not enough manpower and the community having other priorities.

--
Does this mail seem too brief? Sorry for that, I don’t mean to be rude! Please see http://emailcharter.org .

Johan Fabry   -   http://pleiad.cl/~jfabry
PLEIAD and RyCh labs  -  Computer Science Department (DCC)  -  University of Chile