Pharo on a chromebook?

Paul DeBruicker
Forgive my ignorance but does anyone have a recipe to run Pharo on a Chromebook?  Without having to install another OS.  And also not with SqueakJS.

Just on ChromeOS?

Seems like its not possible. Just wanted to double check.

thanks
Paul

Re: Pharo on a chromebook?

tbrunz
Hi Paul,

It *is* possible!  I've got it running on one of my Chromebooks, a Pixelbook
model.  (I gave my 2015 Pixel LS to my wife; I've yet to try it on that
one.)  See the attached image.

You'll likely need to install a Linux container, which is how I got it to
work.  (I didn't try to get it running in the native Linux OS, which I
believe is a modified Gentoo.)

You can have an icon associated with it; if you do, you can pin it to your
icon tray and launch Pharo that way -- which is what I do.  (You should be
able to see the icon in my image.)  I have a script that generates a
'.desktop' file with an icon, which is how I think I got this to work.  (I'm
about to rewrite the script; the first attempt was a hack extracted from a
script suite I wrote, and Pharo deserves better.)

One thing you'll want to do is correct for the 4K display.  I have a script
that automates enlarging the pointer arrow at
https://github.com/tbrunz/pharo-support (which also has the above-mentioned
script), but I just finished it and haven't yet tested it on a Chromebook
install.

-Ted

<http://forum.world.st/file/t372161/Pharo-in-Chromebook_2019-0127a.jpg>

Re: Pharo on a chromebook?

Guillermo Polito
Yes, I’ve heard some other people doing similar stuff.
I put in cc Olivier, maybe he can share a bit more if he has time :)

Guille

> El 1 abr 2020, a las 1:40, tbrunz <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> It *is* possible!  I've got it running on one of my Chromebooks, a Pixelbook
> model.  (I gave my 2015 Pixel LS to my wife; I've yet to try it on that
> one.)  See the attached image.
>
> You'll likely need to install a Linux container, which is how I got it to
> work.  (I didn't try to get it running in the native Linux OS, which I
> believe is a modified Gentoo.)
>
> You can have an icon associated with it; if you do, you can pin it to your
> icon tray and launch Pharo that way -- which is what I do.  (You should be
> able to see the icon in my image.)  I have a script that generates a
> '.desktop' file with an icon, which is how I think I got this to work.  (I'm
> about to rewrite the script; the first attempt was a hack extracted from a
> script suite I wrote, and Pharo deserves better.)
>
> One thing you'll want to do is correct for the 4K display.  I have a script
> that automates enlarging the pointer arrow at
> https://github.com/tbrunz/pharo-support (which also has the above-mentioned
> script), but I just finished it and haven't yet tested it on a Chromebook
> install.
>
> -Ted
>
> <http://forum.world.st/file/t372161/Pharo-in-Chromebook_2019-0127a.jpg>

kmo

Re: Pharo on a chromebook?

kmo
Google have an official linux environment that you can switch on in ChromeOs
Settings. Should allow you to switch easily betweeen ChromeOs and Linux.
<http://forum.world.st/file/t368903/Screenshot_2020-04-01_at_10.png>

Re: Pharo on a chromebook?

tbrunz
I just verified that my 'pharo-adjust-cursor' script does work for Pharo
Launcher as well as Pharo images that are installed in a Linux Container on
Chromebooks that have 4K displays (e.g., the "Pixelbook" models).

If you download the bash script from
https://github.com/tbrunz/pharo-support/blob/master/src/pharo-adjust-cursor.sh
to the directory that contains 'pharolauncher' and run it, it will update
the 'pharo-launcher' script inside.

Thereafter, when you run Pharo Launcher, or launch an image from Pharo
Launcher, the cursor on 4K Chromebook displays will look normal size.

-t