Pharo on bitnami

stepharo
Hi pharoers

we got in contact with bitnami and I would love to see two bitnami apps
around Pharo:
         - basic pharo
         - pharo + seaside + magritte + voyage (mongo pharo layer) + mongodb

So who would like to help pushing this effort?

Stef

Begin forwarded message:

From: Kevin Franklin <[hidden email]>
Subject: Introducing Bitnami...
Date: 5 Jun 2015 10:57:36 GMT+2
To: <[hidden email]>

Hello Pharo Association

I wondered if you knew about Bitnami. Please check us out at
www.bitnami.com. We provide over 120 apps and development stacks – many
of them open-source.
If you would like Pharo to be included in our marketplace, we have a
contest https://bitnami.com/contest were you can nominate it, and
encourage your community to vote for its inclusion.

Also, I wondered if you could put me in touch with any commercial
companies within and around the Pharo ecosystem that might like to work
with us as a software partner https://bitnami.com/partners/software

Kind regards
Kevin

--
Kevin Franklin
Director of Business Development, Bitnami

Run your favorite apps in the cloud with Bitnami

Confidential - All Rights Reserved.
Bitnami © 2015

mtk

Re: Pharo on bitnami

mtk

Hi Stef,

Pharo is not in the list right now, isn't it?

Best regards

Marcus

stepharo <[hidden email]> schrieb am So., 7. Juni 2015 13:09:
Hi pharoers

we got in contact with bitnami and I would love to see two bitnami apps
around Pharo:
         - basic pharo
         - pharo + seaside + magritte + voyage (mongo pharo layer) + mongodb

So who would like to help pushing this effort?

Stef

Begin forwarded message:

Bitnami © 2015

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo on bitnami

NorbertHartl
Could be something good. I wanted to figure out what is to provide but I didn't find anything useful in all this massive amount of marketing bullshit on their site. Do you really contact them before you can see how you can provide a package?

Norbert

> Am 07.06.2015 um 13:08 schrieb stepharo <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hi pharoers
>
> we got in contact with bitnami and I would love to see two bitnami apps around Pharo:
>        - basic pharo
>        - pharo + seaside + magritte + voyage (mongo pharo layer) + mongodb
>
> So who would like to help pushing this effort?
>
> Stef
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Kevin Franklin <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Introducing Bitnami...
> Date: 5 Jun 2015 10:57:36 GMT+2
> To: <[hidden email]>
>
> Hello Pharo Association
>
> I wondered if you knew about Bitnami. Please check us out at www.bitnami.com. We provide over 120 apps and development stacks – many of them open-source.
> If you would like Pharo to be included in our marketplace, we have a contest https://bitnami.com/contest were you can nominate it, and encourage your community to vote for its inclusion.
>
> Also, I wondered if you could put me in touch with any commercial companies within and around the Pharo ecosystem that might like to work with us as a software partner https://bitnami.com/partners/software
>
> Kind regards
> Kevin
>
> --
> Kevin Franklin
> Director of Business Development, Bitnami
> +44 78 2525 6020
> @kevinjfranklin
>
> Run your favorite apps in the cloud with Bitnami
>
> Confidential - All Rights Reserved.
> Bitnami © 2015

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo on bitnami

Offray
Hi,

I have been using Bitnami and I think that they're really good at
providing "execute and deploy" stacks for a lot of applications which
are cumbersome to configure and complicated. They're a real time saver.
The only one similar offer I know we have is Pharo Cloud but the
advantage of a Bitnami Pharo stack is that they could run on Digital
Ocean with a more versatile stack and more attractive prices. In fact
that's my approach when I need to deploy a stack I usually choose
Bitnami Stack + digital ocean for hosting, if the stack I'm looking for
is available in bitnami, which is usually cheaper that Specific stack
hosting. I don't know if Pharo Cloud could be the company that Bitnami
is looking for as a Software partner for deploying.

Cheers,

Offray

On 07/06/15 09:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Could be something good. I wanted to figure out what is to provide but I didn't find anything useful in all this massive amount of marketing bullshit on their site. Do you really contact them before you can see how you can provide a package?
>
> Norbert
>
>> Am 07.06.2015 um 13:08 schrieb stepharo <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi pharoers
>>
>> we got in contact with bitnami and I would love to see two bitnami apps around Pharo:
>>         - basic pharo
>>         - pharo + seaside + magritte + voyage (mongo pharo layer) + mongodb
>>
>> So who would like to help pushing this effort?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> From: Kevin Franklin <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Introducing Bitnami...
>> Date: 5 Jun 2015 10:57:36 GMT+2
>> To: <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hello Pharo Association
>>
>> I wondered if you knew about Bitnami. Please check us out at www.bitnami.com. We provide over 120 apps and development stacks – many of them open-source.
>> If you would like Pharo to be included in our marketplace, we have a contest https://bitnami.com/contest were you can nominate it, and encourage your community to vote for its inclusion.
>>
>> Also, I wondered if you could put me in touch with any commercial companies within and around the Pharo ecosystem that might like to work with us as a software partner https://bitnami.com/partners/software
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Kevin
>>
>> --
>> Kevin Franklin
>> Director of Business Development, Bitnami
>> +44 78 2525 6020
>> @kevinjfranklin
>>
>> Run your favorite apps in the cloud with Bitnami
>>
>> Confidential - All Rights Reserved.
>> Bitnami © 2015

Re: Pharo on bitnami

Ben Coman
That would be great, but can we compete with getting >400 votes for
those specific configurations, which might put us up for winning the
contest in seven months time.
See   https://bitnami.com/stacks  -- scroll down to "coming soon."
and   https://wiki.bitnami.com/contest_rules

Presumably the applications listed need some configuration after
booting to make them useful (like adding users / content), so then to
broaden our audience of potential voters perhaps an alternative
strategy would be to package PharoLauncher with either an RFB or web
interface, with some enhancements:
* choose an image to boot into straight away
* better facility to download and choose between multiple VMs
* widen choice of templates to include other dialects based off CogVM
e.g. Squeak, Newspeak
* build new images from basic Pharo + Configuration selected from
Configuration Browser
* built-in images that provide testdrive applications like pharo +
seaside + magritte + voyage (mongo pharo layer) + mongodb
* presuming bitnami have some facility to pass a configuration script
a newly booted image, act on script to perform the above actions.

cheers -ben

On Sun, Jun 7, 2015 at 7:08 PM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi pharoers
>
> we got in contact with bitnami and I would love to see two bitnami apps
> around Pharo:
>         - basic pharo
>         - pharo + seaside + magritte + voyage (mongo pharo layer) + mongodb
>
> So who would like to help pushing this effort?
>
> Stef
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Kevin Franklin <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Introducing Bitnami...
> Date: 5 Jun 2015 10:57:36 GMT+2
> To: <[hidden email]>
>
> Hello Pharo Association
>
> I wondered if you knew about Bitnami. Please check us out at
> www.bitnami.com. We provide over 120 apps and development stacks – many of
> them open-source.
> If you would like Pharo to be included in our marketplace, we have a contest
> https://bitnami.com/contest were you can nominate it, and encourage your
> community to vote for its inclusion.
>
> Also, I wondered if you could put me in touch with any commercial companies
> within and around the Pharo ecosystem that might like to work with us as a
> software partner https://bitnami.com/partners/software
>
> Kind regards
> Kevin
>
> --
> Kevin Franklin
> Director of Business Development, Bitnami
> +44 78 2525 6020
> @kevinjfranklin
>
> Run your favorite apps in the cloud with Bitnami
>
> Confidential - All Rights Reserved.
> Bitnami © 2015

Re: [Pharo-dev] Pharo on bitnami

Emilio Oca-3
Hi, Yes, my experience with bitnami's products and assistance is really good too.
Besides running in the cloud, I think that having installer scrips to deploy on Windows, Osx or Ubuntu and virtual machines increases chances to successfully deploy on, for example, reluctant IT guys' corporate servers.

Best

Emilio

I have been using Bitnami and I think that they're really good at providing "execute and deploy" stacks for a lot of applications which are cumbersome to configure and complicated. They're a real time saver.
The only one similar offer I know we have is Pharo Cloud but the advantage of a Bitnami Pharo stack is that they could run on Digital Ocean with a more versatile stack and more attractive prices. In fact that's my approach when I need to deploy a stack I usually choose Bitnami Stack + digital ocean for hosting, if the stack I'm looking for is available in bitnami, which is usually cheaper that Specific stack hosting. I don't know if Pharo Cloud could be the company that Bitnami is looking for as a Software partner for deploying.

Cheers,

Offray

On 07/06/15 09:14, Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Could be something good. I wanted to figure out what is to provide but I didn't find anything useful in all this massive amount of marketing bullshit on their site. Do you really contact them before you can see how you can provide a package?
>
> Norbert
>
>> Am 07.06.2015 um 13:08 schrieb stepharo <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Hi pharoers
>>
>> we got in contact with bitnami and I would love to see two bitnami apps around Pharo:
>>         - basic pharo
>>         - pharo + seaside + magritte + voyage (mongo pharo layer) +
>> mongodb
>>
>> So who would like to help pushing this effort?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> Begin forwarded message:
>>
>> From: Kevin Franklin <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Introducing Bitnami...
>> Date: 5 Jun 2015 10:57:36 GMT+2
>> To: <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hello Pharo Association
>>
>> I wondered if you knew about Bitnami. Please check us out at www.bitnami.com. We provide over 120 apps and development stacks – many of them open-source.
>> If you would like Pharo to be included in our marketplace, we have a contest https://bitnami.com/contest were you can nominate it, and encourage your community to vote for its inclusion.
>>
>> Also, I wondered if you could put me in touch with any commercial
>> companies within and around the Pharo ecosystem that might like to
>> work with us as a software partner
>> https://bitnami.com/partners/software
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Kevin
>>
>> --
>> Kevin Franklin
>> Director of Business Development, Bitnami
>> +44 78 2525 6020
>> @kevinjfranklin
>>
>> Run your favorite apps in the cloud with Bitnami
>>
>> Confidential - All Rights Reserved.
>> Bitnami © 2015

Re: Pharo on bitnami

basilmir
Great!!! Contacted them myself too, with a contest entry for either Pharo stand-alone or Seaside on Pharo, since the contest mainly focuses on 'web frameworks'.

For vanilla Pharo this was their response:

"Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately we can not add Pharo in our Bitnami contest. We are currently focused on web applications and Pharo is a desktop IDE tool."

So I added an entry on Seaside, which he has yet to reply to, adding examples on how to run headless cloud servers with that in mind:

"I made another request for "Seaside" which is a Smalltalk (language) web framework that runs either on Pharo, GNU Smaltalk or other variants running headless, connecting remotely to add code or modify the app.

Seaside apps, including the entire memory footprint is stored in an "image file", this image files acts like a miniVM virtual hard drive. When you save all objects are saved as the are, and when you load it again it essentially "resumes" exacly where it left off.

Images are started this way and the app becomes available on a port, you can connect to it and "develop" de image and remotely write code and execute it inside like this:

Seaside is used mainly in the financial industry and for heavy duty erp apps. Now it has gained a footprint in the community because of the advanced Object Oriented approach to web development with Seaside."

He'll probably need more advice as things progress. You can reach David at [hidden email]

Pe 7 iun. 2015, la 14:08, stepharo <[hidden email]> a scris:

Hi pharoers

we got in contact with bitnami and I would love to see two bitnami apps around Pharo:
      - basic pharo
      - pharo + seaside + magritte + voyage (mongo pharo layer) + mongodb

So who would like to help pushing this effort?

Stef

Begin forwarded message:

Bitnami © 2015

Re: Pharo on bitnami

EstebanLM
Hi,

Can we edit that? Because I do not thing thats a good description on how to install/use Seaside…at least  in Pharo (and no idea in GNUSmalltalk but since that blog post is from 2008 I bet it has changed a lot… if maintained at all).
This is how you install Seaside in a linux/mac/windows(as far as it has mingw installed) server:

wget -O- get.pharo.org | bash
./pharo Pharo.image config http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/Pharo/MetaRepoForPharo40/main ConfigurationOfSeaside3 --install=#stable

and this is how you run it:

./pharo Pharo.image eval "ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8080”

btw… I would like to add a command line handler for seaside to do this in a much better way… maybe soon(™) ;)

Esteban

On 08 Jun 2015, at 16:42, Mircea S. <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Forwarded your response to [hidden email]

Pe 9 iun. 2015, la 20:15, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> a scris: