Pharo one-click and Magritte

mozillanerd
I have just installed on ubuntu 10.10 the one-click distribution from
http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download.
I would like to follow a tutorial for Magritte and require:
1. How to install Magritte and alls its dependencies
2. A recommendation for a good tutorial on Magritte; I have found a
pdf:http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/magritte/exercises.pdf- However it
does not specify how to install Magritte.

Thanks for your help. I am a newbie in using the Pharo IDE.

P.S. I had no problem with ubuntu 10.10 RC in installing and executing the IDE

Re: Pharo one-click and Magritte

Jan van de Sandt
Hello,

You can load Magritte using Metacello. Evaluate the following statements in a workspace:

Gofer new
squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
package: 'ConfigurationOfMagritte2';
load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagritte2 ) project latestVersion) load

The UI part of Magritte depends on Seaside so this will also load Seaside. This takes some time.

A faster way to get an image with Magritte loaded is to download a Magritte image from the build server of Lukas: http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/job/Magritte%202/

The best source for documentation is http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/magritte

Jan.

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 9:06 AM, fritz schenk <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have just installed on ubuntu 10.10 the one-click distribution from
http://www.pharo-project.org/pharo-download.
I would like to follow a tutorial for Magritte and require:
1. How to install Magritte and alls its dependencies
2. A recommendation for a good tutorial on Magritte; I have found a
pdf:http://www.lukas-renggli.ch/smalltalk/magritte/exercises.pdf- However it
does not specify how to install Magritte.

Thanks for your help. I am a newbie in using the Pharo IDE.

P.S. I had no problem with ubuntu 10.10 RC in installing and executing the IDE

Re: Pharo one-click and Magritte

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 10:59 AM, Jan van de Sandt <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,

You can load Magritte using Metacello. Evaluate the following statements in a workspace:

Gofer new
squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
package: 'ConfigurationOfMagritte2';
load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagritte2 ) project latestVersion) load

The UI part of Magritte depends on Seaside so this will also load Seaside. This takes some time.

Are you sure??  I checked in the conf and only 'Magritte-Seaside'  seems to depend on Seaside.
ANd that package is not loaded in the default.

So, if you use #load, it will load the Core, as it says the conf:

    spec
            group: 'default' with: #('Core');
            group: 'Core' with: #('Magritte-Model' );

So....Seaside should not be loaded.

Indeed, you can do a #record instead of a load and see what would be loaded.

Print for example this:

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagritte2 ) project latestVersion) record loadDirective

Cheers

Mariano

[...]

I am confused,what should I use?

1) The following command:

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagritte2 ) project latestVersion) record
loadDirective

Fails with "Error key not found".

2) I am unclear of what I should load from the indicated repository, I see two
images. From the pharo one-click IDE how do I use the images?

Thanks

Re: Pharo one-click and Magritte

mozillanerd
"Gofer new
squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
package: 'ConfigurationOfMagritte2';
load.

((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagritte2 ) project latestVersion) load"

Compiles and I see method MADescription. I wish there was a transcript when the
compile is going to see if everything is Ok. Looking that MADescription is there
I think is sufficient to see if Magritte is installed.

What should be my next step.

I will explore around.

Thanks

Re: Pharo one-click and Magritte

Dale Henrichs
Fritz,

If you want to see what Metacello will load (without doing the load
itself), you use printIt on the following expression:

   ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagritte2 )
     project latestVersion) record

#record or #record: works like #load and #load: except that the packages
are not loaded into your image, so it runs a lot faster.

Technically both #load and #record return a "loadDirective" that when
printed (inspected) shows a structured view of the packages and
configurations that were (would be) loaded.

Dale

fritz schenk wrote:

> "Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfMagritte2';
> load.
>
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMagritte2 ) project latestVersion) load"
>
> Compiles and I see method MADescription. I wish there was a transcript when the
> compile is going to see if everything is Ok. Looking that MADescription is there
> I think is sufficient to see if Magritte is installed.
>
> What should be my next step.
>
> I will explore around.
>
> Thanks

Re: Pharo one-click and Magritte

mozillanerd
fantastic Dale, Thanks

Re: Pharo one-click and Magritte

mozillanerd
I am studying what magritte gives me as it does many things that I implemented
in javascript, jscript and vb (for client and server) way back in 1997:

The rules are very similar. Among the differences is that in the 1997
implementation:
1. The rules were encoded in a subset of javascript and held in the objects
descriptors (in vb).
2. The objects when asked to 'view' generate client side javascript (from the
subset) and if necessary server-side jscript for server side validation in case
that the client does not have javascript or the http request comes from
something other than a browser.
3. The objects hold the model and handle persistance to a relational db. The
objects are aware of collections and links between objects.

Very sophisticated, still in maintenance for a major bank, but soon to be
obsoleted (vb, and .net)

Thanks for your help