Pharo platform dependency (or Seaside one click)

Pharo platform dependency (or Seaside one click)

Torsten Bergmann
I know that many of us use a Mac for running Pharo, but we should
continue to keep pharo platform independent.

Otherwise we get the "Copy image and debug everywhere"
effects:

Trying to copy a text from the new Seaside one click
image 2.8.4 using Pharo 10318 will bring up the debugger
on Windows since the default clipboard is pointing to an
instance of MacOSClipboard.

Also the mac host windows menu + tests is completely
useless on Linux and Windows and will fail.

At least we should find out if platform changed (at
image startup) and adapt the image.

Bye
Torsten

Re: Pharo platform dependency (or Seaside one click)

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes. I agree.
Now do you have a fix?

Stef

On Jun 10, 2009, at 8:41 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> I know that many of us use a Mac for running Pharo, but we should
> continue to keep pharo platform independent.
>
> Otherwise we get the "Copy image and debug everywhere"
> effects:
>
> Trying to copy a text from the new Seaside one click
> image 2.8.4 using Pharo 10318 will bring up the debugger
> on Windows since the default clipboard is pointing to an
> instance of MacOSClipboard.
>
> Also the mac host windows menu + tests is completely
> useless on Linux and Windows and will fail.
>
> At least we should find out if platform changed (at
> image startup) and adapt the image.
>
> Bye
> Torsten

Re: Pharo platform dependency (or Seaside one click)

Michael Rueger-6
Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> Trying to copy a text from the new Seaside one click
> image 2.8.4 using Pharo 10318 will bring up the debugger
> on Windows since the default clipboard is pointing to an
> instance of MacOSClipboard.

The new Pharo core doesn't have that problem, works fine out of the box.
Could it be a problem with Seaside (or changes coming in with Seaside)
interfering with the startup initialization of OSPlatform/Clipboard?

Michael