Pharo productivity

philippeback

I have been using Pharo somewhat less in my current projects.

Nevertheless, I needed a tool done fast and behaving correctly.

Did it the TDD way with Pharo.

Great experience. Great productivity. No messing around with external libraries, modules...

64-bit Linux compatibility would really help these days. But stuffing Pharo and 32 bit on a docker container works nicely too.

Phil

Re: Pharo productivity

Esteban A. Maringolo
Do you have a recipe to put Pharo in a Docker container?
Esteban A. Maringolo

> I have been using Pharo somewhat less in my current projects.
>
> Nevertheless, I needed a tool done fast and behaving correctly.
>
> Did it the TDD way with Pharo.
>
> Great experience. Great productivity. No messing around with external
> libraries, modules...
>
> 64-bit Linux compatibility would really help these days. But stuffing Pharo
> and 32 bit on a docker container works nicely too.
>
> Phil

Re: Pharo productivity

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2
LXC/LXD containers are much nicer, IMHO, as they look and feel like a regular VM, yet are way more efficient.

> On 30 Nov 2015, at 21:43, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Do you have a recipe to put Pharo in a Docker container?
> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> I have been using Pharo somewhat less in my current projects.
>>
>> Nevertheless, I needed a tool done fast and behaving correctly.
>>
>> Did it the TDD way with Pharo.
>>
>> Great experience. Great productivity. No messing around with external
>> libraries, modules...
>>
>> 64-bit Linux compatibility would really help these days. But stuffing Pharo
>> and 32 bit on a docker container works nicely too.
>>
>> Phil

Re: Pharo productivity

NorbertHartl
true. We use them a lot

+1

Norbert

> Am 30.11.2015 um 21:48 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>
> LXC/LXD containers are much nicer, IMHO, as they look and feel like a regular VM, yet are way more efficient.
>
>> On 30 Nov 2015, at 21:43, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Do you have a recipe to put Pharo in a Docker container?
>> Esteban A. Maringolo

>>> I have been using Pharo somewhat less in my current projects.
>>>
>>> Nevertheless, I needed a tool done fast and behaving correctly.
>>>
>>> Did it the TDD way with Pharo.
>>>
>>> Great experience. Great productivity. No messing around with external
>>> libraries, modules...
>>>
>>> 64-bit Linux compatibility would really help these days. But stuffing Pharo
>>> and 32 bit on a docker container works nicely too.
>>>
>>> Phil

Re: Pharo productivity

Sven Van Caekenberghe-2

> On 30 Nov 2015, at 22:08, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> true. We use them a lot

Good to know, we're currently deploying an upgrade to our server park, all new machines (32 cores, 96 Gb RAM each) will be running many LXC/LXD instances, probably using ZFS for their storage. The networking was the biggest challenge, but I think we got that covered. In any case, Pharo ran perfectly on them (either 32 or 64 bit) !

If we get stuck on something, I will know who I can beg for help ;-)

> +1
>
> Norbert
>
>> Am 30.11.2015 um 21:48 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> LXC/LXD containers are much nicer, IMHO, as they look and feel like a regular VM, yet are way more efficient.
>>
>>> On 30 Nov 2015, at 21:43, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Do you have a recipe to put Pharo in a Docker container?
>>> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Pharo productivity

philippeback

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 9:43 PM, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Do you have a recipe to put Pharo in a Docker container?
Esteban A. Maringolo

> I have been using Pharo somewhat less in my current projects.
>
> Nevertheless, I needed a tool done fast and behaving correctly.
>
> Did it the TDD way with Pharo.
>
> Great experience. Great productivity. No messing around with external
> libraries, modules...
>
> 64-bit Linux compatibility would really help these days. But stuffing Pharo
> and 32 bit on a docker container works nicely too.
>
> Phil

Re: Pharo productivity

NorbertHartl
:) Well, looking at all the isolation containers I still have doubts that isolation is working as expected. There are many influences that make containers less independent. Prominent candidate is (as always) I/O that has the ability to slow down everything.
But let's talk! I always appreciate exchanging thoughts ans experiences with you :)

Norbert

> Am 30.11.2015 um 22:28 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>

>> On 30 Nov 2015, at 22:08, Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> true. We use them a lot
>
> Good to know, we're currently deploying an upgrade to our server park, all new machines (32 cores, 96 Gb RAM each) will be running many LXC/LXD instances, probably using ZFS for their storage. The networking was the biggest challenge, but I think we got that covered. In any case, Pharo ran perfectly on them (either 32 or 64 bit) !
>
> If we get stuck on something, I will know who I can beg for help ;-)
>
>> +1
>>
>> Norbert
>>
>>> Am 30.11.2015 um 21:48 schrieb Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]>:
>>>
>>> LXC/LXD containers are much nicer, IMHO, as they look and feel like a regular VM, yet are way more efficient.

Re: Pharo productivity

philippeback
Yes but are they working as nicely on Macs and Win boxes running Dockermachine?

Phil

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 9:48 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
LXC/LXD containers are much nicer, IMHO, as they look and feel like a regular VM, yet are way more efficient.

> On 30 Nov 2015, at 21:43, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Do you have a recipe to put Pharo in a Docker container?
> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> I have been using Pharo somewhat less in my current projects.
>>
>> Nevertheless, I needed a tool done fast and behaving correctly.
>>
>> Did it the TDD way with Pharo.
>>
>> Great experience. Great productivity. No messing around with external
>> libraries, modules...
>>
>> 64-bit Linux compatibility would really help these days. But stuffing Pharo
>> and 32 bit on a docker container works nicely too.
>>
>> Phil

Re: Pharo productivity

NorbertHartl
Sure but the deployment issue is orchestration.  The distribution of functionality works along the available resources. The example machine Sven mentioned (32 cores, 96 MB) is worth nothing if you have a lot of instances and spindle hard discs. It is an act of finding the balance that uses the maximum of all resources. You just need to decrease the role of the weakest link. Modern containers are just about making it comfortable but not solving the "real" problems.

My 2 cents,

Norbert

Am 30.11.2015 um 22:52 schrieb "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]>:

Yes but are they working as nicely on Macs and Win boxes running Dockermachine?

Phil

On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 9:48 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
LXC/LXD containers are much nicer, IMHO, as they look and feel like a regular VM, yet are way more efficient.

> On 30 Nov 2015, at 21:43, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Do you have a recipe to put Pharo in a Docker container?
> Esteban A. Maringolo

>> I have been using Pharo somewhat less in my current projects.
>>
>> Nevertheless, I needed a tool done fast and behaving correctly.
>>
>> Did it the TDD way with Pharo.
>>
>> Great experience. Great productivity. No messing around with external
>> libraries, modules...
>>
>> 64-bit Linux compatibility would really help these days. But stuffing Pharo
>> and 32 bit on a docker container works nicely too.
>>
>> Phil

Re: Pharo productivity

EstebanLM
cool :)

but those scripts can be easily improved:

Gofer it
        url: ‘filetree:///home/deploy’;
        package: ‘WebCounter’;
        package: ‘HelloWorldApp’;
        load.
stdout << 'WebCounter installed'; lf.
ZnZincServerAdaptor startOn: 8080.
WAAdmin register: WebCounter asApplicationAt: 'webcounter’.

(looks a lot easier to understand :P)

cheers,
Esteban