classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Pharo-project] Call for Pharo Support **important**

Stéphane Ducasse
Dear Pharoers

We are pursuing an effort to bring Pharo to the next level: we will set up a consortium of pharo users and industrial partners. Our goal is to build a legal infrastructure that will be able to sustain the development of Pharo and improve its future. As an example, we would like to be able to collect funds (ways as to be determined - we foresee a membership model or moral license) to pay engineering tasks to be performed such as improving the virtual machine, network libraries, better JIT support. To make it short we would like to give a chance to our community to grow and structure itself so that Pharo can get stronger and that risk (truck factor) gets minimized.

We are contacting you to know if your company/research group would be interested to support such effort. Showing such interest is strategically important for us and INRIA which could also support such effort. Attached is the letter of support that we will collect once signed and scanned ( [hidden email] / faxed at: 00 33 (0)3 59 57 78 50)

Thanks for your support

The Pharo Board

M. Denker, S. Ducasse, and  A. Lienhard

Pharo-LetterOfSupport-EN-V2.doc (43K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: [Pharo-project] Call for Pharo Support **important**

Tudor Girba
Just a question: are you interested only in companies/groups or also individuals?

Cheers,
Doru

On 16 Feb 2011, at 16:38, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Dear Pharoers
>
> We are pursuing an effort to bring Pharo to the next level: we will set up a consortium of pharo users and industrial partners. Our goal is to build a legal infrastructure that will be able to sustain the development of Pharo and improve its future. As an example, we would like to be able to collect funds (ways as to be determined - we foresee a membership model or moral license) to pay engineering tasks to be performed such as improving the virtual machine, network libraries, better JIT support. To make it short we would like to give a chance to our community to grow and structure itself so that Pharo can get stronger and that risk (truck factor) gets minimized.
>
> We are contacting you to know if your company/research group would be interested to support such effort. Showing such interest is strategically important for us and INRIA which could also support such effort. Attached is the letter of support that we will collect once signed and scanned ( [hidden email] / faxed at: 00 33 (0)3 59 57 78 50)
>
> Thanks for your support
>
> The Pharo Board
>
> M. Denker, S. Ducasse, and  A. Lienhard
>
> <Pharo-LetterOfSupport-EN-V2.doc>

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Presenting is storytelling."

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
both
this is a user and industrial consortium.
may be I'm a dreamer but I would like something open to the community in general.

Stef

On Feb 16, 2011, at 10:11 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> Just a question: are you interested only in companies/groups or also individuals?
>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
> On 16 Feb 2011, at 16:38, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Dear Pharoers
>>
>> We are pursuing an effort to bring Pharo to the next level: we will set up a consortium of pharo users and industrial partners. Our goal is to build a legal infrastructure that will be able to sustain the development of Pharo and improve its future. As an example, we would like to be able to collect funds (ways as to be determined - we foresee a membership model or moral license) to pay engineering tasks to be performed such as improving the virtual machine, network libraries, better JIT support. To make it short we would like to give a chance to our community to grow and structure itself so that Pharo can get stronger and that risk (truck factor) gets minimized.
>>
>> We are contacting you to know if your company/research group would be interested to support such effort. Showing such interest is strategically important for us and INRIA which could also support such effort. Attached is the letter of support that we will collect once signed and scanned ( [hidden email] / faxed at: 00 33 (0)3 59 57 78 50)
>>
>> Thanks for your support
>>
>> The Pharo Board
>>
>> M. Denker, S. Ducasse, and  A. Lienhard
>>
>> <Pharo-LetterOfSupport-EN-V2.doc>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Presenting is storytelling."
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Tudor Girba
The reason I am asking is that in the text you say "if your company/research group would be interested", which tends to not invite individuals.

Ok, so individuals should sign it, too?

Cheers,
Doru

On 16 Feb 2011, at 23:01, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> both
> this is a user and industrial consortium.
> may be I'm a dreamer but I would like something open to the community in general.
>
>
> Stef
>
> On Feb 16, 2011, at 10:11 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>
>> Just a question: are you interested only in companies/groups or also individuals?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Doru
>>
>>
>> On 16 Feb 2011, at 16:38, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Pharoers
>>>
>>> We are pursuing an effort to bring Pharo to the next level: we will set up a consortium of pharo users and industrial partners. Our goal is to build a legal infrastructure that will be able to sustain the development of Pharo and improve its future. As an example, we would like to be able to collect funds (ways as to be determined - we foresee a membership model or moral license) to pay engineering tasks to be performed such as improving the virtual machine, network libraries, better JIT support. To make it short we would like to give a chance to our community to grow and structure itself so that Pharo can get stronger and that risk (truck factor) gets minimized.
>>>
>>> We are contacting you to know if your company/research group would be interested to support such effort. Showing such interest is strategically important for us and INRIA which could also support such effort. Attached is the letter of support that we will collect once signed and scanned ( [hidden email] / faxed at: 00 33 (0)3 59 57 78 50)
>>>
>>> Thanks for your support
>>>
>>> The Pharo Board
>>>
>>> M. Denker, S. Ducasse, and  A. Lienhard
>>>
>>> <Pharo-LetterOfSupport-EN-V2.doc>
>>
>> --
>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>
>> "Presenting is storytelling."
>>
>>
>
>

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Value is always contextual."

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 16, 2011, at 11:28 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

> The reason I am asking is that in the text you say "if your company/research group would be interested", which tends to not invite individuals.
>
> Ok, so individuals should sign it, too?

yes

>
> Cheers,
> Doru
>
>
> On 16 Feb 2011, at 23:01, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> both
>> this is a user and industrial consortium.
>> may be I'm a dreamer but I would like something open to the community in general.
>>
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Feb 16, 2011, at 10:11 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:
>>
>>> Just a question: are you interested only in companies/groups or also individuals?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Doru
>>>
>>>
>>> On 16 Feb 2011, at 16:38, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>>
>>>> Dear Pharoers
>>>>
>>>> We are pursuing an effort to bring Pharo to the next level: we will set up a consortium of pharo users and industrial partners. Our goal is to build a legal infrastructure that will be able to sustain the development of Pharo and improve its future. As an example, we would like to be able to collect funds (ways as to be determined - we foresee a membership model or moral license) to pay engineering tasks to be performed such as improving the virtual machine, network libraries, better JIT support. To make it short we would like to give a chance to our community to grow and structure itself so that Pharo can get stronger and that risk (truck factor) gets minimized.
>>>>
>>>> We are contacting you to know if your company/research group would be interested to support such effort. Showing such interest is strategically important for us and INRIA which could also support such effort. Attached is the letter of support that we will collect once signed and scanned ( [hidden email] / faxed at: 00 33 (0)3 59 57 78 50)
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for your support
>>>>
>>>> The Pharo Board
>>>>
>>>> M. Denker, S. Ducasse, and  A. Lienhard
>>>>
>>>> <Pharo-LetterOfSupport-EN-V2.doc>
>>>
>>> --
>>> www.tudorgirba.com
>>>
>>> "Presenting is storytelling."
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Value is always contextual."
>
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

drush66
I am not expert in legalize, does signing of this letter imply some
financial commitment on part of the signer, or it is just "Pharo is
great and we would like to use it" kind of letter?

Many thanks!

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com/

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi davorin
It says that you would consider paying a membership if this one is ok for you but that the membership
would have to be clear. So this is just a letter of support. Your are not tying yourself.
We will decide together the model because we should like that everybody can contribute.

Now for us this is an important tool because we can seize the community to see if we could collect
money to pay an engineer like igor full-time, half time....

Stef

> I am not expert in legalize, does signing of this letter imply some
> financial commitment on part of the signer, or it is just "Pharo is
> great and we would like to use it" kind of letter?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Davorin Rusevljan
> http://www.cloud208.com/

Reply | Threaded
|

Sven Van Caekenberghe
In reply to this post by drush66

On 18 Feb 2011, at 08:51, Davorin Rusevljan wrote:

> I am not expert in legalize, does signing of this letter imply some
> financial commitment on part of the signer, or it is just "Pharo is
> great and we would like to use it" kind of letter?
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Davorin Rusevljan
> http://www.cloud208.com/

I do not think of this letter as a contract, far from it.

You just declare your support for the Pharo project and indicate that you would be interested in joining a future consortium, depending on the conditions of that membership of course.

Anyway, I signed it.

Sven

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks sven

On Feb 18, 2011, at 9:15 AM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:

>
> On 18 Feb 2011, at 08:51, Davorin Rusevljan wrote:
>
>> I am not expert in legalize, does signing of this letter imply some
>> financial commitment on part of the signer, or it is just "Pharo is
>> great and we would like to use it" kind of letter?
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>
>> Davorin Rusevljan
>> http://www.cloud208.com/
>
> I do not think of this letter as a contract, far from it.
>
> You just declare your support for the Pharo project and indicate that you would be interested in joining a future consortium, depending on the conditions of that membership of course.
>
> Anyway, I signed it.
>
> Sven
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

S Krish
In reply to this post by Stéphane Ducasse
Count me in. What is the formality in sign n dispatch of the letter

Sudhakar krishnamachari

Extn 91-40403012
Cell 9902104814

On Feb 18, 2011, at 1:43 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi davorin
> It says that you would consider paying a membership if this one is ok for you but that the membership
> would have to be clear. So this is just a letter of support. Your are not tying yourself.
> We will decide together the model because we should like that everybody can contribute.
>
> Now for us this is an important tool because we can seize the community to see if we could collect
> money to pay an engineer like igor full-time, half time....
>
> Stef
>
>
>> I am not expert in legalize, does signing of this letter imply some
>> financial commitment on part of the signer, or it is just "Pharo is
>> great and we would like to use it" kind of letter?
>>
>> Many thanks!
>>
>> Davorin Rusevljan
>> http://www.cloud208.com/
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

Stéphane Ducasse

On Feb 19, 2011, at 5:35 AM, Krishsmalltalk wrote:

> Count me in.

Excellent!

> What is the formality in sign n dispatch of the letter

just sign it and scanned/fax it to me.

>
> Sudhakar krishnamachari
>
> Extn 91-40403012
> Cell 9902104814
>
>
>
> On Feb 18, 2011, at 1:43 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi davorin
>> It says that you would consider paying a membership if this one is ok for you but that the membership
>> would have to be clear. So this is just a letter of support. Your are not tying yourself.
>> We will decide together the model because we should like that everybody can contribute.
>>
>> Now for us this is an important tool because we can seize the community to see if we could collect
>> money to pay an engineer like igor full-time, half time....
>>
>> Stef
>>
>>
>>> I am not expert in legalize, does signing of this letter imply some
>>> financial commitment on part of the signer, or it is just "Pharo is
>>> great and we would like to use it" kind of letter?
>>>
>>> Many thanks!
>>>
>>> Davorin Rusevljan
>>> http://www.cloud208.com/
>>
>>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

garduino
Count me in also.

Germán.

2011/2/19 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

>
> On Feb 19, 2011, at 5:35 AM, Krishsmalltalk wrote:
>
>> Count me in.
>
> Excellent!
>
>> What is the formality in sign n dispatch of the letter
>
> just sign it and scanned/fax it to me.
>
>
>>
>> Sudhakar krishnamachari
>>
>> Extn 91-40403012
>> Cell 9902104814
>>
>>
>>
>> On Feb 18, 2011, at 1:43 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi davorin
>>> It says that you would consider paying a membership if this one is ok for you but that the membership
>>> would have to be clear. So this is just a letter of support. Your are not tying yourself.
>>> We will decide together the model because we should like that everybody can contribute.
>>>
>>> Now for us this is an important tool because we can seize the community to see if we could collect
>>> money to pay an engineer like igor full-time, half time....
>>>
>>> Stef
>>>
>>>
>>>> I am not expert in legalize, does signing of this letter imply some
>>>> financial commitment on part of the signer, or it is just "Pharo is
>>>> great and we would like to use it" kind of letter?
>>>>
>>>> Many thanks!
>>>>
>>>> Davorin Rusevljan
>>>> http://www.cloud208.com/
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>
>