Pharo responseless when debugger steps into DNU in Seaside app

Pharo responseless when debugger steps into DNU in Seaside app

Johan Brichau
Hi everyone,

I'm getting a problem debugging Seaside applications in latest Pharo.

When stepping with the debugger through the execution of a seaside
application and encountering a message not understood, the entire
Pharo system freezes and is totally unresponsive. It does not show
that a DNU occurs, it simply becomes unresponsive when trying to step
over the message that does not exist. I have to force quit.

The problem can easily be recreated by changing a seaside component's
render method such that a DNU occurs. Next, choose to debug the
problem and restart the context. Now start stepping through the method
and the system freezes when you try to step into the message that is
not understood. The system freezes and does not show you a DNU.

It seems to be a Pharo-Seaside problem since I do not have the same
problem when doing this outside of Seaside applications.

I'm using Pharo 09.7.5 (with seaside) and did a system update just now.

I'm trying to drill down to the source of the problem but if anyone
has any ideas....

----------------------------
Johan Brichau

Re: Pharo responseless when debugger steps into DNU in Seaside app

Stéphane Ducasse

On Aug 4, 2009, at 8:33 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm getting a problem debugging Seaside applications in latest Pharo.
>
> When stepping with the debugger through the execution of a seaside
> application and encountering a message not understood, the entire
> Pharo system freezes and is totally unresponsive. It does not show
> that a DNU occurs, it simply becomes unresponsive when trying to step
> over the message that does not exist. I have to force quit.
>
> The problem can easily be recreated by changing a seaside component's
> render method such that a DNU occurs. Next, choose to debug the
> problem and restart the context. Now start stepping through the method
> and the system freezes when you try to step into the message that is
> not understood. The system freezes and does not show you a DNU.
>
> It seems to be a Pharo-Seaside problem since I do not have the same
> problem when doing this outside of Seaside applications.
>
> I'm using Pharo 09.7.5 (with seaside) and did a system update just
> now.
>
> I'm trying to drill down to the source of the problem but if anyone
> has any ideas....

Thanks this is important.
Can you open a bug entry report?
I go some problem with the system not been able to spawn a debugger
but I was waiting to get the beta version.

Stef

> ----------------------------
> Johan Brichau

Re: Pharo responseless when debugger steps into DNU in Seaside app

Lukas Renggli
What version of Seaside is this?

There are several debugger related bugs in Seaside 2.9a4:
<http://code.google.com/p/seaside/issues/list?q=debugger>.

Lukas

2009/8/5 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>:

> On Aug 4, 2009, at 8:33 PM, Johan Brichau wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'm getting a problem debugging Seaside applications in latest Pharo.
>>
>> When stepping with the debugger through the execution of a seaside
>> application and encountering a message not understood, the entire
>> Pharo system freezes and is totally unresponsive. It does not show
>> that a DNU occurs, it simply becomes unresponsive when trying to step
>> over the message that does not exist. I have to force quit.
>>
>> The problem can easily be recreated by changing a seaside component's
>> render method such that a DNU occurs. Next, choose to debug the
>> problem and restart the context. Now start stepping through the method
>> and the system freezes when you try to step into the message that is
>> not understood. The system freezes and does not show you a DNU.
>>
>> It seems to be a Pharo-Seaside problem since I do not have the same
>> problem when doing this outside of Seaside applications.
>>
>> I'm using Pharo 09.7.5 (with seaside) and did a system update just
>> now.
>>
>> I'm trying to drill down to the source of the problem but if anyone
>> has any ideas....
>
> Thanks this is important.
> Can you open a bug entry report?
> I go some problem with the system not been able to spawn a debugger
> but I was waiting to get the beta version.
>
> Stef
>

>> ----------------------------
>> Johan Brichau
>> [hidden email]

Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

On 05 Aug 2009, at 09:37, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Can you open a bug entry report?

I just did that right now. I wanted to drill down in the problem a bit
further before entering the ticket.
The additional info is in the bug report (1038).

It seems the DNU is handled by Seaside code since it pops up in the
browser (as it normally does). However, you cannot do anything beyond
that point...

----------------------------
Johan Brichau

Re: Pharo responseless when debugger steps into DNU in Seaside app

Johan Brichau
Hi Lukas,

No, this is Seaside2.8a1-pmm.593 (which is included in the Pharo
download image)

----------------------------
Johan Brichau

Re: Pharo responseless when debugger steps into DNU in Seaside app

Johan Brichau
I managed to trace the problem to the following:

After rendering the stack trace of the DNU in the browser, the
EscapeContinuation terminates the thisContext and unwinds the stack.
After this, the execution resumes in the #withEscapeContinuation:
method, essentially ending up executing "Processor terminateActive" in
the bottom stack frame (execution record of #newProcess), upon which
the system freezes.

If you execute all code just up to the "Processor terminateActive",
you can again hit the debug link in the browser to open a debugger
with the DNU.

Johan Brichau