Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Pharo showcase demos?

simondenier

Question: what do you show to other people when you want to demo Pharo/Smalltalk? in 15 minutes / 30 minutes / 1 hour

Do you have a typical example? Do you use a kata? Or a full blown application?

What tools do you show?

I'm looking for successful recipes/topos to present Pharo in a technical context: the premice is that people are interested by Pharo, but they will not be convinced by a toy case and a basic demo of tools. A TDD demo would be more efficient I guess.

That would be cool to have a list of such showcases depending on the context (duration of demo, technical level of people, interest...)

--
Simon Denier

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Pharo showcase demos?

Tudor Girba-2
I use Moose :)

Doru

On 5 Jul 2011, at 10:54, Simon Denier wrote:

>
> Question: what do you show to other people when you want to demo Pharo/Smalltalk? in 15 minutes / 30 minutes / 1 hour
>
> Do you have a typical example? Do you use a kata? Or a full blown application?
>
> What tools do you show?
>
>
> I'm looking for successful recipes/topos to present Pharo in a technical context: the premice is that people are interested by Pharo, but they will not be convinced by a toy case and a basic demo of tools. A TDD demo would be more efficient I guess.
>
> That would be cool to have a list of such showcases depending on the context (duration of demo, technical level of people, interest...)
>
> --
> Simon Denier
>
>
>
>

--
www.tudorgirba.com

"Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."

Reply | Threaded
|

laurent laffont
In reply to this post by simondenier
On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 11:54 AM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Question: what do you show to other people when you want to demo Pharo/Smalltalk? in 15 minutes / 30 minutes / 1 hour

I like katas with TDD and Autotest.

I was also impressed by Hilaire demonstrating DrGeo. It's the typical application where Smalltalk brings features to the user.

Laurent.

What tools do you show?

I'm looking for successful recipes/topos to present Pharo in a technical context: the premice is that people are interested by Pharo, but they will not be convinced by a toy case and a basic demo of tools. A TDD demo would be more efficient I guess.

That would be cool to have a list of such showcases depending on the context (duration of demo, technical level of people, interest...)

--
Simon Denier

Reply | Threaded
|

simondenier

On 5 juil. 2011, at 14:41, laurent laffont wrote:

I was also impressed by Hilaire demonstrating DrGeo. It's the typical application where Smalltalk brings features to the user.

Interesting. Does it include a bit of programming? I guess you can extend DrGeo with your own programs.

Laurent.

What tools do you show?

--
Simon Denier

--
Simon Denier

Reply | Threaded
|

simondenier
In reply to this post by Tudor Girba-2

On 5 juil. 2011, at 12:04, Tudor Girba wrote:

> I use Moose :)

Well, Moose is my next step after the first introduction to Smalltalk :)

But I would like to start with the common tools in Pharo.

>
> Doru
>
>
> On 5 Jul 2011, at 10:54, Simon Denier wrote:
>
>>
>> Question: what do you show to other people when you want to demo Pharo/Smalltalk? in 15 minutes / 30 minutes / 1 hour
>>
>> Do you have a typical example? Do you use a kata? Or a full blown application?
>>
>> What tools do you show?
>>
>>
>> I'm looking for successful recipes/topos to present Pharo in a technical context: the premice is that people are interested by Pharo, but they will not be convinced by a toy case and a basic demo of tools. A TDD demo would be more efficient I guess.
>>
>> That would be cool to have a list of such showcases depending on the context (duration of demo, technical level of people, interest...)
>>
>> --
>> Simon Denier
>>
>>
>>
>>
>
> --
> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "Problem solving efficiency grows with the abstractness level of problem understanding."
>
>
>
>

--
Simon Denier

Reply | Threaded
|

simondenier
In reply to this post by laurent laffont

OK I have never done a kata before so I should definitely watch your latest screencasts :)

Laurent.

What tools do you show?

--
Simon Denier

--
Simon Denier

Reply | Threaded
|

laurent laffont

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 5:59 PM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Interesting. Does it include a bit of programming? I guess you can extend DrGeo with your own programs.

Yes. Hilaire as recorded several screencasts on DrGeo website.

Laurent.

Laurent.

What tools do you show?

--
Simon Denier

--
Simon Denier

Reply | Threaded
|

laurent laffont

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:

OK I have never done a kata before so I should definitely watch your latest screencasts :)

You can also look at some coding-dojo recording at http://cara74.seasidehosting.st/seaside/seaside/pier/blog

Laurent.

Laurent.

What tools do you show?

--
Simon Denier

--
Simon Denier

Reply | Threaded
|

simondenier

On 5 juil. 2011, at 18:09, laurent laffont wrote:

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 6:01 PM, Simon Denier <[hidden email]> wrote:

You can also look at some coding-dojo recording at http://cara74.seasidehosting.st/seaside/seaside/pier/blog

Now I remember that the Picasa sample looks like a very fun project, both relatively simple yet not naive (it talks with Google after all :))

Laurent.

Laurent.

What tools do you show?

--
Simon Denier

--
Simon Denier

--
Simon Denier