Pharo sound capabilites. What options?

Volkert
Dear all,

I am want to write in game in pharo 1.4, but need sound capabilities (playing mp3/ogg or midi, ..). what are my options here?

BW,
Volkert

Re: Pharo sound capabilites. What options?

Stéphane Ducasse

On Oct 12, 2012, at 7:47 PM, Volkert Barr wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am want to write in game in pharo 1.4, but need sound capabilities (playing mp3/ogg or midi, ..). what are my options here?

there is a pharo sound package to load. I do not have the time to check now
have a look at configurationOfPharo or configurationOfSound?

Stef

> BW,
> Volkert

Re: Pharo sound capabilites. What options?

Volkert
I loaded PharoSound in Pharo 1.4 with:

Gofer new
squeaksource: 'PharoSound';
package: 'ConfigurationOfPharoSound';
load.
(Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharoSound) project lastVersion load.

After that i got this System Error Message (see screenshot) and Pharo is "corrupted".

Volkert

--
www.nivoba.de
www.software-wartung.net

PGP-Key on request / PGP-Schlüssel auf Anfrage

Re: Pharo sound capabilites. What options?

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks for reporting it
We should check that.

On Oct 13, 2012, at 12:50 PM, Volkert Barr wrote:

> I loaded PharoSound in Pharo 1.4 with:
>
> Gofer new
> squeaksource: 'PharoSound';
> package: 'ConfigurationOfPharoSound';
> load.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharoSound) project lastVersion load.
>
> After that i got this System Error Message (see screenshot) and Pharo is "corrupted".
>
> <PastedGraphic-1.tiff>
>
> Volkert
>
> On 13.10.2012, at 08:35, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> On Oct 12, 2012, at 7:47 PM, Volkert Barr wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I am want to write in game in pharo 1.4, but need sound capabilities (playing mp3/ogg or midi, ..). what are my options here?
>>
>> there is a pharo sound package to load. I do not have the time to check now
>> have a look at configurationOfPharo or configurationOfSound?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>>> BW,
>>> Volkert
>>>

> --
> www.nivoba.de
> www.software-wartung.net
> www.erlang-dach.org
>
> PGP-Key on request / PGP-Schlüssel auf Anfrage

Re: Pharo sound capabilites. What options?

philippeback
I am running sound on

Pharo1.4
Latest update: #14452

without problems on WinXP, OSX Lion, iOS5

I didn't used configuration of anything but loaded sound from the repositiory using Monticello.

Phil

2012/10/13 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
Thanks for reporting it
We should check that.

On Oct 13, 2012, at 12:50 PM, Volkert Barr wrote:

> I loaded PharoSound in Pharo 1.4 with:
>
> Gofer new
>       squeaksource: 'PharoSound';
>       package: 'ConfigurationOfPharoSound';
>       load.
> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharoSound) project lastVersion load.
>
> After that i got this System Error Message (see screenshot) and Pharo is "corrupted".
>
> <PastedGraphic-1.tiff>
>
> Volkert
>
> On <a href="tel:13.10.2012" value="+13102012">13.10.2012, at 08:35, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> On Oct 12, 2012, at 7:47 PM, Volkert Barr wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>
>>> I am want to write in game in pharo 1.4, but need sound capabilities (playing mp3/ogg or midi, ..). what are my options here?
>>
>> there is a pharo sound package to load. I do not have the time to check now
>> have a look at configurationOfPharo or configurationOfSound?
>>
>> Stef
>>
>>> BW,
>>> Volkert
>>>

> --
> www.nivoba.de
> www.software-wartung.net
> www.erlang-dach.org
>
> PGP-Key on request / PGP-Schlüssel auf Anfrage

Re: Pharo sound capabilites. What options?

philippeback
For the record, I am also doing an (educational) game.

Maybe can we talk about the required features so that we can get a decent game platform.

I am investing in Pharo to speed up the delivery lifecycle.

My other developments are done with Monkey.

The best would be to have a game engine running in Monkey and all the scripting done with Pharo,

Phil

On <a href="tel:13.10.2012" value="+13102012" target="_blank">13.10.2012, at 08:35, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

On Oct 12, 2012, at 7:47 PM, Volkert Barr wrote:

Dear all,

I am want to write in game in pharo 1.4, but need sound capabilities (playing mp3/ogg or midi, ..). what are my options here?

there is a pharo sound package to load. I do not have the time to check now
have a look at configurationOfPharo or configurationOfSound?

Stef

BW,
Volkert

--
www.nivoba.de
www.software-wartung.net
www.erlang-dach.org

PGP-Key on request / PGP-Schlüssel auf Anfrage

Re: Pharo sound capabilites. What options?

Volkert
I loaded the package now i a clean Pharo 1.4 Image with the latest update: #14459 (on OS X Lion 10.7.5).

The MIDIPianoKeyboardMorph works, but FMSound not (no errors, but silence)

For FMSound i tried this
- BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true.
- FMSound organ1 play.

Any hints here?

Volkert

On 13.10.2012, at 13:06, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Thanks for reporting it
> We should check that.
>
> On Oct 13, 2012, at 12:50 PM, Volkert Barr wrote:
>
>> I loaded PharoSound in Pharo 1.4 with:
>>
>> Gofer new
>> squeaksource: 'PharoSound';
>> package: 'ConfigurationOfPharoSound';
>> load.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharoSound) project lastVersion load.
>>
>> After that i got this System Error Message (see screenshot) and Pharo is "corrupted".
>>
>> <PastedGraphic-1.tiff>
>>
>> Volkert

>>> there is a pharo sound package to load. I do not have the time to check now
>>> have a look at configurationOfPharo or configurationOfSound?
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> www.nivoba.de
>> www.software-wartung.net
>> www.erlang-dach.org
>>
>> PGP-Key on request / PGP-Schlüssel auf Anfrage

--
www.nivoba.de
www.software-wartung.net
www.erlang-dach.org

PGP-Key on request / PGP-Schlüssel auf Anfrage

Re: Pharo sound capabilites. What options?

philippeback
Look at the previous mail's link and try the things in sequence.

On <a href="tel:13.10.2012" value="+13102012">13.10.2012, at 13:06, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Thanks for reporting it
> We should check that.
>
> On Oct 13, 2012, at 12:50 PM, Volkert Barr wrote:
>
>> I loaded PharoSound in Pharo 1.4 with:
>>
>> Gofer new
>>      squeaksource: 'PharoSound';
>>      package: 'ConfigurationOfPharoSound';
>>      load.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharoSound) project lastVersion load.
>>
>> After that i got this System Error Message (see screenshot) and Pharo is "corrupted".
>>
>> <PastedGraphic-1.tiff>
>>
>> Volkert

>>> there is a pharo sound package to load. I do not have the time to check now
>>> have a look at configurationOfPharo or configurationOfSound?
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> www.nivoba.de
>> www.software-wartung.net
>> www.erlang-dach.org
>>
>> PGP-Key on request / PGP-Schlüssel auf Anfrage

--
www.nivoba.de
www.software-wartung.net
www.erlang-dach.org

PGP-Key on request / PGP-Schlüssel auf Anfrage

Re: Pharo sound capabilites. What options?

philippeback
BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true just doesn't do all it should.

SoundPlayer is the root of all; SoundSystems adds the background thread for multivoice play and mixing.

Get SoundPlayer work, then take care of Soundsystem

2012/10/13 Volkert Barr <[hidden email]>
I loaded the package now i a clean Pharo 1.4 Image with the latest update: #14459 (on OS X Lion 10.7.5).

The MIDIPianoKeyboardMorph works, but FMSound not (no errors, but silence)

For FMSound i tried this
- BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true.
- FMSound organ1 play.

Any hints here?

Volkert

On <a href="tel:13.10.2012" value="+13102012">13.10.2012, at 13:06, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Thanks for reporting it
> We should check that.
>
> On Oct 13, 2012, at 12:50 PM, Volkert Barr wrote:
>
>> I loaded PharoSound in Pharo 1.4 with:
>>
>> Gofer new
>>      squeaksource: 'PharoSound';
>>      package: 'ConfigurationOfPharoSound';
>>      load.
>> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharoSound) project lastVersion load.
>>
>> After that i got this System Error Message (see screenshot) and Pharo is "corrupted".
>>
>> <PastedGraphic-1.tiff>
>>
>> Volkert

>>> there is a pharo sound package to load. I do not have the time to check now
>>> have a look at configurationOfPharo or configurationOfSound?
>>>
>>> Stef

>> --
>> www.nivoba.de
>> www.software-wartung.net
>> www.erlang-dach.org
>>
>> PGP-Key on request / PGP-Schlüssel auf Anfrage

--
www.nivoba.de
www.software-wartung.net
www.erlang-dach.org

PGP-Key on request / PGP-Schlüssel auf Anfrage

Re: Pharo sound capabilites. What options?

Volkert
No idea how. Have you a concrete example?

On 13.10.2012, at 15:19, [hidden email] wrote:

> BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true just doesn't do all it should.
>
> SoundPlayer is the root of all; SoundSystems adds the background thread for multivoice play and mixing.
>
> Get SoundPlayer work, then take care of Soundsystem
>
> 2012/10/13 Volkert Barr <[hidden email]>
> I loaded the package now i a clean Pharo 1.4 Image with the latest update: #14459 (on OS X Lion 10.7.5).
>
> The MIDIPianoKeyboardMorph works, but FMSound not (no errors, but silence)
>
> For FMSound i tried this
> - BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true.
> - FMSound organ1 play.
>
> Any hints here?
>
> Volkert
>

> On 13.10.2012, at 13:06, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
> > Thanks for reporting it
> > We should check that.
> >
> > On Oct 13, 2012, at 12:50 PM, Volkert Barr wrote:
> >
> >> I loaded PharoSound in Pharo 1.4 with:
> >>
> >> Gofer new
> >>      squeaksource: 'PharoSound';
> >>      package: 'ConfigurationOfPharoSound';
> >>      load.
> >> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharoSound) project lastVersion load.
> >>
> >> After that i got this System Error Message (see screenshot) and Pharo is "corrupted".
> >>
> >> <PastedGraphic-1.tiff>
> >>
> >> Volkert

> >> --
> >> www.nivoba.de
> >> www.software-wartung.net
> >> www.erlang-dach.org
> >>
> >> PGP-Key on request / PGP-Schlüssel auf Anfrage
> >>

> --
> www.nivoba.de
> www.software-wartung.net
> www.erlang-dach.org
>
> PGP-Key on request / PGP-Schlüssel auf Anfrage

--
www.nivoba.de
www.software-wartung.net
www.erlang-dach.org

PGP-Key on request / PGP-Schlüssel auf Anfrage

Re: Pharo sound capabilites. What options?

phil

we should improve the situation. Do you have some code that we can integrate to the pharosound package and its initialization?

Stef

On Oct 13, 2012, at 3:19 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true just doesn't do all it should.
>
> SoundPlayer is the root of all; SoundSystems adds the background thread for multivoice play and mixing.
>
> Get SoundPlayer work, then take care of Soundsystem
>
> 2012/10/13 Volkert Barr <[hidden email]>
> I loaded the package now i a clean Pharo 1.4 Image with the latest update: #14459 (on OS X Lion 10.7.5).
>
> The MIDIPianoKeyboardMorph works, but FMSound not (no errors, but silence)
>
> For FMSound i tried this
> - BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true.
> - FMSound organ1 play.
>
> Any hints here?
>
> Volkert
>

> On 13.10.2012, at 13:06, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
> > Thanks for reporting it
> > We should check that.
> >
> > On Oct 13, 2012, at 12:50 PM, Volkert Barr wrote:
> >
> >> I loaded PharoSound in Pharo 1.4 with:
> >>
> >> Gofer new
> >>      squeaksource: 'PharoSound';
> >>      package: 'ConfigurationOfPharoSound';
> >>      load.
> >> (Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfPharoSound) project lastVersion load.
> >>
> >> After that i got this System Error Message (see screenshot) and Pharo is "corrupted".
> >>
> >> <PastedGraphic-1.tiff>
> >>
> >> Volkert

> >> --
> >> www.nivoba.de
> >> www.software-wartung.net
> >> www.erlang-dach.org
> >>
> >> PGP-Key on request / PGP-Schlüssel auf Anfrage
> >>

> --
> www.nivoba.de
> www.software-wartung.net
> www.erlang-dach.org
>
> PGP-Key on request / PGP-Schlüssel auf Anfrage

Re: Pharo sound capabilites. What options?

Volkert
Need still some help. Can someone post a code snippet?

BW,
Volkert

On 13.10.2012, at 15:44, Volkert Barr wrote:

> No idea how. Have you a concrete example?
>
> On 13.10.2012, at 15:19, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true just doesn't do all it should.
>>
>> SoundPlayer is the root of all; SoundSystems adds the background thread for multivoice play and mixing.
>>
>> Get SoundPlayer work, then take care of Soundsystem
>>
>> 2012/10/13 Volkert Barr <[hidden email]>
>> I loaded the package now i a clean Pharo 1.4 Image with the latest update: #14459 (on OS X Lion 10.7.5).
>>
>> The MIDIPianoKeyboardMorph works, but FMSound not (no errors, but silence)
>>
>> For FMSound i tried this
>> - BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true.
>> - FMSound organ1 play.
>>
>> Any hints here?
>>
>> Volkert

Re: Pharo sound capabilites. What options?

philippeback
From my previous post:

Also, you can use it this way (inspect and debug around to understand how all of this works, SoundPlayer isn't SoundSystem...)

Test class>>soundSamples
"Test hardware"

| ss |
SoundPlayer boinkScale. "See if sound is enabled"
SoundService soundEnabled. "This should answer the BaseSoundSystem class"
SoundService registeredClasses.
SoundService reset.
BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true.
SoundService default. "Let's make some noise"
ss := SoundService default new.
ss class soundEnabled.
ss class soundEnabled: true.
ss beep.
(FMSound lowMajorScaleOn: FMSound pluckedElecBass) play.
(FMSound lowMajorScaleOn: FMSound randomWeird1) play.
(FMSound majorScaleOn: FMSound oboe1) play.
FMSound testFMInteractively.
(SampledSound bachFugueVoice2On: SampledSound new) play.
SoundPlayer shutDown

On <a href="tel:13.10.2012" value="+13102012">13.10.2012, at 15:44, Volkert Barr wrote:

> No idea how. Have you a concrete example?
>
> On <a href="tel:13.10.2012" value="+13102012">13.10.2012, at 15:19, [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true just doesn't do all it should.
>>
>> SoundPlayer is the root of all; SoundSystems adds the background thread for multivoice play and mixing.
>>
>> Get SoundPlayer work, then take care of Soundsystem
>>
>> 2012/10/13 Volkert Barr <[hidden email]>
>> I loaded the package now i a clean Pharo 1.4 Image with the latest update: #14459 (on OS X Lion 10.7.5).
>>
>> The MIDIPianoKeyboardMorph works, but FMSound not (no errors, but silence)
>>
>> For FMSound i tried this
>> - BaseSoundSystem soundEnabled: true.
>> - FMSound organ1 play.
>>
>> Any hints here?
>>
>> Volkert

Re: Pharo sound capabilites. What options?

Volkert
Cool. I am sure that the main reason why FMSound did not work was, that it is by default disabled in pharo. :-(((

I checked your snippets and found this behavior:

"SoundPlayer boinkScale" works fine, even if sound is disabled in the pharo settings.

"FMSound" is working fine", but only if sound is enabled in the pharo settings.

"SampleSound" example sounds really strange on OS X. I am no sure, if this is correct,

"SoundService default new" give me this message (in the pharo setting Sound theme "No Sounds" was selected),

an this Message (in the pharo settings Sound theme "Beeper sounds" was selected):

Thank you for your help. :-)))

BW,
Volkert

From my previous post: