Pharo sound with SDL Library

Mariano
Hello!

I need to use the Pharo Sound over Ubuntu platform, but I couldn't get
it work. I tryied sending the parameter vm-sound-OSS and vm-sound-ALSA
to the vm but I get no results.

I am now trying to use the SDL Library. I could initialize the sound
SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_AUDIO), very similar to initializing video, but when
trying to use the SDL_LoadWAV, it needs a SDL_AudioSpec data type and I
do not know how to do it. I tried to use an Structure as parameter but
with no result, I couldn't found any similar example to follow. I will
appreciate any help or tips on this.

Thanks in advance. Best regards,
Mariano.

Re: Pharo sound with SDL Library

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Mariano wrote
> I need to use the Pharo Sound… I will
> appreciate any help or tips on this.

If you're not attached to SDL, maybe this minimal wrapper of the
cross-platform FMOD library would help:
http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~SeanDeNigris/FMOD . IIRC I used it to play mp3
files, but only tested on Mac and will have to be ported from NB to uFFI.
Also, how did you install Pharo Sound?

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Pharo sound with SDL Library

Stephane Ducasse-3
Hi mariano

did you try the sound package that is on Smalltalkhub/Pharo? or
PharoExtras. We should migrate it to pharo 70

Stef

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 1:14 PM, Mariano Badoglio
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I need to use the Pharo Sound over Ubuntu platform, but I couldn't get
> it work. I tryied sending the parameter vm-sound-OSS and vm-sound-ALSA
> to the vm but I get no results.
>
> I am now trying to use the SDL Library. I could initialize the sound
> SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_AUDIO), very similar to initializing video, but when
> trying to use the SDL_LoadWAV, it needs a SDL_AudioSpec data type and I
> do not know how to do it. I tried to use an Structure as parameter but
> with no result, I couldn't found any similar example to follow. I will
> appreciate any help or tips on this.
>
> Thanks in advance. Best regards,
> Mariano.

Re: Pharo sound with SDL Library

Mariano
Hi Stephean, Sean,

Thanks for your response. I have installed the Monticello Package
"Sound" from http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/PharoExtras/Sound/main, the last
update is Sound-StephaneDucasse.80 package from year 2013. It is from
Pharo Extras. Is this the right package?

Best regards,
Mariano

El 17/03/18 a las 16:05, Stephane Ducasse escribió:

> Hi mariano
>
> did you try the sound package that is on Smalltalkhub/Pharo? or
> PharoExtras. We should migrate it to pharo 70
>
> Stef
>
> On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 1:14 PM, Mariano Badoglio
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I need to use the Pharo Sound over Ubuntu platform, but I couldn't get
>> it work. I tryied sending the parameter vm-sound-OSS and vm-sound-ALSA
>> to the vm but I get no results.
>>
>> I am now trying to use the SDL Library. I could initialize the sound
>> SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_AUDIO), very similar to initializing video, but when
>> trying to use the SDL_LoadWAV, it needs a SDL_AudioSpec data type and I
>> do not know how to do it. I tried to use an Structure as parameter but
>> with no result, I couldn't found any similar example to follow. I will
>> appreciate any help or tips on this.
>>
>> Thanks in advance. Best regards,
>> Mariano.

Re: Pharo sound with SDL Library

Stephane Ducasse-3
Yes we should migrate it and probably include it in Pharo and clean it.

Stef

On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 6:59 PM, Mariano Badoglio
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Stephean, Sean,
>
> Thanks for your response. I have installed the Monticello Package
> "Sound" from http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/PharoExtras/Sound/main, the last
> update is Sound-StephaneDucasse.80 package from year 2013. It is from
> Pharo Extras. Is this the right package?
>
> Best regards,
> Mariano
>

> El 17/03/18 a las 16:05, Stephane Ducasse escribió:
>> Hi mariano
>>
>> did you try the sound package that is on Smalltalkhub/Pharo? or
>> PharoExtras. We should migrate it to pharo 70
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 1:14 PM, Mariano Badoglio
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I need to use the Pharo Sound over Ubuntu platform, but I couldn't get
>>> it work. I tryied sending the parameter vm-sound-OSS and vm-sound-ALSA
>>> to the vm but I get no results.
>>>
>>> I am now trying to use the SDL Library. I could initialize the sound
>>> SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_AUDIO), very similar to initializing video, but when
>>> trying to use the SDL_LoadWAV, it needs a SDL_AudioSpec data type and I
>>> do not know how to do it. I tried to use an Structure as parameter but
>>> with no result, I couldn't found any similar example to follow. I will
>>> appreciate any help or tips on this.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance. Best regards,
>>> Mariano.

Re: Pharo sound with SDL Library

Mariano
Perfect! I have loaded the Merwan WAVParser project, that uses the
OpenAL library and it worked fine.

Best regards!
Mariano

El 19/03/18 a las 16:32, Stephane Ducasse escribió:

> Yes we should migrate it and probably include it in Pharo and clean it.
>
> Stef
>
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2018 at 6:59 PM, Mariano Badoglio
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Stephean, Sean,
>>
>> Thanks for your response. I have installed the Monticello Package
>> "Sound" from http://smalltalkhub.com/mc/PharoExtras/Sound/main, the last
>> update is Sound-StephaneDucasse.80 package from year 2013. It is from
>> Pharo Extras. Is this the right package?
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Mariano
>>

>> El 17/03/18 a las 16:05, Stephane Ducasse escribió:
>>> Hi mariano
>>>
>>> did you try the sound package that is on Smalltalkhub/Pharo? or
>>> PharoExtras. We should migrate it to pharo 70
>>>
>>> Stef

Re: Pharo sound with SDL Library

Stephane Ducasse-3
Thanks for the news!
If you can provide a little example of WAVParser it will help.