Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Jean-Christophe Bach
Hi Pharoers,

This email as a reminder for the next Pharo sprint: it will be next
Friday (3rd April) at Inria Lille.
You can also join us on the IRC channel (#pharo on irc.freenode.net
server). During the sprint, we will try to synchronize local and remote
Pharo sprinters.

JC

Re: Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

HilaireFernandes
Le 27/03/2015 17:11, Jean-Christophe Bach a écrit :
> Hi Pharoers,
>
> This email as a reminder for the next Pharo sprint: it will be next
> Friday (3rd April) at Inria Lille.
> You can also join us on the IRC channel (#pharo on irc.freenode.net
> server). During the sprint, we will try to synchronize local and remote
> Pharo sprinters.
>
> JC

Hi,

Is there any Pharo related things to prepare in advance if one wants to
attempt remotely through IRC channel?

Thanks

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

* Hilaire <[hidden email]> [27.03.2015. @22:04:29 +0100]:

> Le 27/03/2015 17:11, Jean-Christophe Bach a écrit :
> > Hi Pharoers,
> >
> > This email as a reminder for the next Pharo sprint: it will be next
> > Friday (3rd April) at Inria Lille.
> > You can also join us on the IRC channel (#pharo on irc.freenode.net
> > server). During the sprint, we will try to synchronize local and remote
> > Pharo sprinters.
> >
> > JC
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there any Pharo related things to prepare in advance if one wants to
> attempt remotely through IRC channel?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
> iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu
A Pharo environment and an IRC client :)
If you want to work on specific issues, you can check the opened issues
on fogbugz. Then you can propose them during the sprint.

JC

Re: Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Marcus Denker-4

> On 27 Mar 2015, at 22:04, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le 27/03/2015 17:11, Jean-Christophe Bach a écrit :
>> Hi Pharoers,
>>
>> This email as a reminder for the next Pharo sprint: it will be next
>> Friday (3rd April) at Inria Lille.
>> You can also join us on the IRC channel (#pharo on irc.freenode.net
>> server). During the sprint, we will try to synchronize local and remote
>> Pharo sprinters.
>>
>> JC
>
> Hi,
>
> Is there any Pharo related things to prepare in advance if one wants to
> attempt remotely through IRC channel?

- try to connect before to check that IRC works
- we try to have some issues tagged with “sprint” on the issue tracker..
  but this time it will be focused on bugs for Pharo4, I guess.

This means having a look at the issue tracker to find some issue that are
interesting to work on could be an idea.

Maybe a trello board could be used to sync for the remote sprinters.

        Marcus

Re: Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Marcus Denker-4

This means having a look at the issue tracker to find some issue that are
interesting to work on could be an idea.

Maybe a trello board could be used to sync for the remote sprinters.

It is public for viewing, for editing I think we need to add people.

Marcus

Re: Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

stepharo

Le 28/3/15 08:49, Marcus Denker a écrit :

>> On 27 Mar 2015, at 22:04, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Le 27/03/2015 17:11, Jean-Christophe Bach a écrit :
>>> Hi Pharoers,
>>>
>>> This email as a reminder for the next Pharo sprint: it will be next
>>> Friday (3rd April) at Inria Lille.
>>> You can also join us on the IRC channel (#pharo on irc.freenode.net
>>> server). During the sprint, we will try to synchronize local and remote
>>> Pharo sprinters.
>>>
>>> JC
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there any Pharo related things to prepare in advance if one wants to
>> attempt remotely through IRC channel?
>>
> - try to connect before to check that IRC works
> - we try to have some issues tagged with “sprint” on the issue tracker..
>    but this time it will be focused on bugs for Pharo4, I guess.

but there will be not enough bugs.

> This means having a look at the issue tracker to find some issue that are
> interesting to work on could be an idea.
>
> Maybe a trello board could be used to sync for the remote sprinters.
>
> Marcus

Re: Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Ben Coman

On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 5:38 AM, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

Le 28/3/15 08:49, Marcus Denker a écrit :
On 27 Mar 2015, at 22:04, Hilaire <[hidden email]> wrote:

Le 27/03/2015 17:11, Jean-Christophe Bach a écrit :
Hi Pharoers,

This email as a reminder for the next Pharo sprint: it will be next
Friday (3rd April) at Inria Lille.
You can also join us on the IRC channel (#pharo on irc.freenode.net
server). During the sprint, we will try to synchronize local and remote
Pharo sprinters.

JC
Hi,

Is there any Pharo related things to prepare in advance if one wants to
attempt remotely through IRC channel?

- try to connect before to check that IRC works
- we try to have some issues tagged with “sprint” on the issue tracker..
   but this time it will be focused on bugs for Pharo4, I guess.

but there will be not enough bugs.

As well as trying to nail down the failing tests in the CI, there are some additional tests that only fail when TestRunner is driven from the UI.  Could these be attacked?

cheers -ben

On 29 Mar 2015, at 08:59, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

- we try to have some issues tagged with “sprint” on the issue tracker..
   but this time it will be focused on bugs for Pharo4, I guess.

but there will be not enough bugs.

As well as trying to nail down the failing tests in the CI, there are some additional tests that only fail when TestRunner is driven from the UI.  Could these be attacked?

That is one idea.

And there are many other bugs that we just pushed to later as not release critical.

People can do other stuff, too, but of course we can’t integrate as Pharo5 has not yet started… and I wonder if we
have the time to do that till then (to set everything up: CI..)

Marcus

Le 30/03/2015 09:08, Marcus Denker a écrit :

>> but there will be not enough bugs.
>>
>> As well as trying to nail down the failing tests in the CI, there are
>> some additional tests that only fail when TestRunner is driven from
>> the UI.  Could these be attacked?
>>
> That is one idea.
>
> And there are many other bugs that we just pushed to later as not
> release critical.

I may discover newer bugs when installing DrGeo on Pharo4.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo - http://drgeo.eu
iStoa - http://istoa.drgeo.eu

Re: Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Nicolai Hess

On 29 Mar 2015, at 08:59, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

- we try to have some issues tagged with “sprint” on the issue tracker..
   but this time it will be focused on bugs for Pharo4, I guess.

but there will be not enough bugs.

As well as trying to nail down the failing tests in the CI, there are some additional tests that only fail when TestRunner is driven from the UI.  Could these be attacked?

That is one idea.

And of course, there is the boring stuff - updating/writing class comments :)

On 28 Mar 2015, at 09:20, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

This means having a look at the issue tracker to find some issue that are
interesting to work on could be an idea.

Maybe a trello board could be used to sync for the remote sprinters.

It is public for viewing, for editing I think we need to add people.

I started to add cases that people can look at.

Marcus

Re: Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Jigyasa Grover
Hey Marcus
Anything up there for the beginners ?

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 28 Mar 2015, at 09:20, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

This means having a look at the issue tracker to find some issue that are
interesting to work on could be an idea.

Maybe a trello board could be used to sync for the remote sprinters.

It is public for viewing, for editing I think we need to add people.

I started to add cases that people can look at.

Marcus

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Marcus Denker-4

On 03 Apr 2015, at 13:07, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Marcus
Anything up there for the beginners ?

Not really yet… I am focusing myself on Pharo4… where we are not in a state that simple
things are done (which often are cleanups).

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 28 Mar 2015, at 09:20, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

This means having a look at the issue tracker to find some issue that are
interesting to work on could be an idea.

Maybe a trello board could be used to sync for the remote sprinters.

It is public for viewing, for editing I think we need to add people.

I started to add cases that people can look at.

Marcus

Re: Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Jigyasa Grover wrote
Anything up there for the beginners ?
Documentation - class comments, method comments, tests - are always up for beginners ;)
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Jigyasa Grover
Ohk.
No issues :)
Looking forward to other Pharo Sprints focusing on beginners :D

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 03 Apr 2015, at 13:07, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Marcus
Anything up there for the beginners ?

Not really yet… I am focusing myself on Pharo4… where we are not in a state that simple
things are done (which often are cleanups).

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 28 Mar 2015, at 09:20, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

This means having a look at the issue tracker to find some issue that are
interesting to work on could be an idea.

Maybe a trello board could be used to sync for the remote sprinters.

It is public for viewing, for editing I think we need to add people.

I started to add cases that people can look at.

Marcus

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Jigyasa Grover
Hey Sean
Sure !
Am up for it
Could you suggest any specific task ?
Thanks
Jigyasa Grover

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 6:06 PM, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ohk.
No issues :)
Looking forward to other Pharo Sprints focusing on beginners :D

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 6:00 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 03 Apr 2015, at 13:07, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey Marcus
Anything up there for the beginners ?

Not really yet… I am focusing myself on Pharo4… where we are not in a state that simple
things are done (which often are cleanups).

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 4:35 PM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 28 Mar 2015, at 09:20, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

This means having a look at the issue tracker to find some issue that are
interesting to work on could be an idea.

Maybe a trello board could be used to sync for the remote sprinters.

It is public for viewing, for editing I think we need to add people.

I started to add cases that people can look at.

Marcus

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Marcus Denker-4

> On 03 Apr 2015, at 14:36, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ohk.
> No issues :)
> Looking forward to other Pharo Sprints focusing on beginners :D

Yes… maybe other people have ideas?

        Marcus

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Dmitri Zagidulin
Ideas for beginners, for Sprints etc:

* Adding class comments/documentation, as mentioned, is a fantastic idea. Maybe we can provide some code snippets, that will bring up a list of classes with missing comments (or with too-short comments, less than X characters). People can coordinate (on IRC, or via something like EtherPad) on who's working on which classes.

* Not related to core Pharo code itself, but still very helpful: Test various libraries for compatibility with Pharo 4.0. Pick your favorite pharo-related project or library off of SmalltalkHub (or SqueakSource, etc), try to load it into Pharo 4. Run the unit tests. Fix stuff until it loads fine in 4.0.Try and use the library in a simple demo project. Best yet, write a blog post about it. The success of Pharo largely depends on the success of its ecosystem of libraries and projects.

* Benchmark things. Which JSON library (of the several available) is faster at parsing large json objects in Pharo 4? That sort of thing.

* Write blog posts in general! Write tutorials and walkthroughs on how to use some of the new 4.0 features. Do programming puzzles / interview questions and post about em. Share tips on how you theme and customize your Pharo images, which tools you use most, and so on.

* As mentioned before, at least browse the open 4.0 issues on the pharo FogBugz. Try to think about how you'd go about discovering how to solve them. You'll learn a lot about the system. Also, once the issues are fixed, you can help test and confirm the fix (if you can figure out the 'how to reproduce' steps). Follow the 'to reproduce' steps to make sure you reproduce the error/issue. Then load the slice containing the fix from the pharo inbox repo, and redo the steps again to make sure it was fixed.

On Fri, Apr 3, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Marcus Denker <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 03 Apr 2015, at 14:36, Jigyasa Grover <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ohk.
> No issues :)
> Looking forward to other Pharo Sprints focusing on beginners :D

Yes… maybe other people have ideas?

        Marcus

Re: [Pharo-users] Pharo sprint on Friday, 3rd April

Jigyasa Grover
Thanks Dmitri !
Will try to contribute as much as I can :)